Andy Slater: Gase told before game he'd be fired if they lost.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Q looked good today but I still find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded down last year. Trading a few spots, getting another pick and walking away with Josh Allen would have been nice.

Trade down? Trade and maneuvering at all? That’s the Jets problem in summary for decades. They haven’t employed anyone since the Tuna that had a shred of personnel experience. Maybe Mangini. The Brick/Mangold draft was the last one we got right. That was 13 years ago. Ever see that YouTube?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Q looked good today but I still find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded down last year. Trading a few spots, getting another pick and walking away with Josh Allen would have been nice.

Just drafting Josh Allen was the right pick.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Slater

When Slater breaks a story, he refers to it as a "Slater Scoop." Slater reports local and national stories on-air and online, many of the times being the first to obtain information.

In May 2017, Slater was first to report details of Tiger Woods' DUI arrest in Palm Beach.[10]

In September 2016, Slater was first to report the shocking death of Miami Marlins star Jose Fernandez.[11] The 24-year-old All-Star pitcher died in a boat crash in Miami.[12]

In July 2015, New York Giants star football player Jason Pierre-Paul injured his hand during a fireworks accident.[13] Slater was first to report the incident, which gained national attention. Shortly after, Slater also stated that Pierre-Paul's hand injury was severe.[14] This report was refuted by others, however, it was correct. A few days later, ESPN obtained medical records which showed one of Pierre-Paul's fingers was amputated.[15]

So...the chest pain thing might be legit. 

• Upvote 1

I've been following this team for more than a quarter-century. I'm usually hopeful and I was actually very much so behind the Gase hiring. This is the first time I can honestly say I would not be unhappy if this guy was fired today! I actually think it's possible that Chris Johnson and maccagnan plan for this by insisting that Greg Williams be on the staff!? We all remember that there was nobody on Todd Bowles staff that could be an interim coach. I know it's a crazy conspiracy theory but it actually fits as to why they were insisting on having certain people on the staff. Either way I have no problem kicking our head coach in his ass and pointing out the door towards the streets.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I really can't buy that. I have a really hard time believing someone in the organization would say such a thing but I guess with this franchise you never know?  I think if he was going to be fired they would have done it by now.

fwiw, i'm not so happy with gase at the moment.  sure the oline players aren't that good but that means the schemes need to adjust.  there are some things these guys should be able to do.  look at last night's game.  the ravens had all sorts of different offensive alignments to take advantage of what jackson can do.  same thing with the jets.  at the end of the day, darnold needs to be darnold and if he needs more play action or having a two te set or having two backs, so be it.

but what about gregg williams?  where is he fitting in in all this?  granted he's down quite a few players but the defense hasn't been spectacular either.  and if gase is canned would williams be considered for head coach?  he has experience and he did well as an interim in cleveland.

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Slater

When Slater breaks a story, he refers to it as a "Slater Scoop." Slater reports local and national stories on-air and online, many of the times being the first to obtain information.

In May 2017, Slater was first to report details of Tiger Woods' DUI arrest in Palm Beach.[10]

In September 2016, Slater was first to report the shocking death of Miami Marlins star Jose Fernandez.[11] The 24-year-old All-Star pitcher died in a boat crash in Miami.[12]

In July 2015, New York Giants star football player Jason Pierre-Paul injured his hand during a fireworks accident.[13] Slater was first to report the incident, which gained national attention. Shortly after, Slater also stated that Pierre-Paul's hand injury was severe.[14] This report was refuted by others, however, it was correct. A few days later, ESPN obtained medical records which showed one of Pierre-Paul's fingers was amputated.[15]

He sounds like he has an EMT friend... Hence the Jose death scoop, jpp hand injury, and tiger DUI... That is also why the chest pains part is relevant... 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Removing a coach mid-season isn't ideal but the owners need to send the message loud and clear about accountability.  Even the staunchest Gase defenders can't have any faith at this point that he can turn around the season.   

This was perhaps the most embarrassing loss in the history of the franchise.  Gase's message either isn't getting through to the players or it's just the wrong message.  Either way, he doesn't deserve to play out the string. 

Well run teams recognize mistakes and correct them quickly.  They don't give a putrid coach like Bowles 4 years to figure it out.  Let's see if the Johnson's have finally learned their lesson.  

• Upvote 1

The team is in such shambles that every coach out there that every available coach should be hesitant to come aboard.  McCarthy?  He would go to a better situation if available.  A top college coach will want mega dollars to coach here.  Gase needs to go but the future coach may be another scab.