Not getting to watch or listen to Joe Douglas Press conference is your fault Jets fans.

Jetsbb

Not on SNY, not on Jets website and not on any radio station. You let it happen Jets fans. I warned you time after time that if you let them get away with lack of access they will be emboldened to go further and further. You laughed when I complained Gase didn't appear for after draft press conferences and hid from the cameras in the draft room. You continued to laugh when I pointed out they did not post video of the winning locker room that Rex, Bowles, and every other team in the NFL posts. Well this is the next step. Are you still laughing?

• Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 6
  • Haha 5

Not to worry, I have the exclusive sound bites you’re just dying to hear.

JD: ”Obviously we didn’t finish where we wanted to, but after a 1-7 start, I think we finished pretty strong and have a lot to look forward to.”

Reporter: “Hey Joe, what areas will you look to address in the offseason?”

JD: “Well we’ll have to step back, look at the roster as a whole and figure out what we want to do starting with FA in March and then move on to the draft in April.”

The End

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

But they did have full out coverage of that embarrassment debauchery new uniform unveiling last year...so there's that LOLLLLLL

That whole debacle went about as well as the last season of Wings.  Having the players get out and do those stupid poses was mindless.  Sam's our QB not a f-ing model.  It was overhyped and overblown.

20 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Not on SNY, not on Jets website and not on any radio station. You let it happen Jets fans. I warned you time after time that if you let them get away with lack of access they will be emboldened to go further and further. You laughed when I complained Gase didn't appear for after draft press conferences and hid from the cameras in the draft room. You continued to laugh when I pointed out they did not post video of the winning locker room that Rex, Bowles, and every other team in the NFL posts. Well this is the next step. Are you still laughing?

This has been going on for a while. You barely knew Maccagnan existed. Looks to be the same with Douglas. Hid all season and ends it with a nondescript presser. We know next to nothing about Joe Douglas. Not sure the rationale. Doesnt exactly scream confidence though.

28 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

LOL

Really?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Gase didn't go to the presser after the draft bc Macc ****ed him and this organization on draft night.  And that was proven to be the case when Macc got sh*t canned. 

• Upvote 1

Where do Jets stand with Jamal Adams? Robby Anderson? Le’Veon Bell? Great question! 5 takeaways from Joe Douglas’ year-end press conference

Today 3:15 PM 
New York Jets OTA practice session

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas spoke with reporters Tuesday to recap the 2019 season and preview the 2020 offseason.

Comment

Joe Douglas met with reporters for 22 minutes on Tuesday to put a bow on the 2019 season and start looking ahead to 2020.

First thing’s first: Douglas admitted that a 7-9 season and another year without the playoffs is not where the Jets want to be. That’s obvious. But the first-year general manager also tipped his cap to head coach Adam Gase for how the team finished the season.

“Not many 1-7 teams finish 6-2 down the stretch,” Douglas said. “I can’t speak to how great of a job Adam and his staff did.”

Douglas also added that, "going 6-2 is not luck.”

But, in order for the Jets to keep that momentum going next season, Douglas is going to have to push a lot of the right buttons this offseason. He’s likely to have about $60-$80 million in salary cap space this spring, depending on which players he retains. And there is plenty of talent to be had in the 2020 NFL Draft, too, where the Jets will pick four times in the top 80 selections.

Douglas was asked about all of that on Tuesday. Here’s a look at the highlights and what he had to say:

1. Zero insight on big stars

Want to know whether the Jets will re-sign Robby Anderson? Or whether they’ll look to trade Le’Veon Bell and/or Jamal Adams, both of whom are still under contract for multiple seasons? Well, sorry, but Douglas effectively provided zero information on those three fronts.

Douglas did say that he will listen to offers when other teams call him. So, he won’t rule out moving Bell or Adams or anyone else for that matter. That got under Adams’ skin at the trade deadline, but the GM would be foolish not to keep that policy in place, just in case someone offers him an unbelievable package for any of his current players.

But Douglas did not say whether or not he’ll look to extend Adams’ contract; the two-time Pro Bowler is now eligible for a new deal after playing three seasons in the league. He did, however, say that he has no hard-and-fast rule against extending players with multiple years left on their contract, as some organizations do. So, the door is open for an extension – maybe.

Beyond that, Douglas basically just offered platitudes about both Adams and Bell, lauding them for their play and personalities. That was more or less the same with Anderson, too, though Douglas did mention that, “he knows how valued he is here.” No actual substance on whether the Jets will be aggressive in pursuing him once he hits the open market, however.

For those wondering: Outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins did not come up during the Q-and-A, though he’s set to hit free agency, too.

2. Not buying ugly offensive rankings

Gase was brought in to be the Jets’ offensive guru, so fans are understandably angry about the fact that his unit ranked 32nd in total yards, 29th in passing yards, 31st in rushing yards and 31st in points scored during his first season.

Douglas doesn’t seem nearly as troubled by those numbers.

“You know, I know those were the stats, but I have to go back and look through to see how we were during the final eight games of the year, where those offensive ranks were," Douglas said, "because I have to imagine that they’re dramatically improved from the first half of the year. 

"I think the growth of our players, having comfort within the scheme, having comfort with what their position coaches are teaching them, how they were able to grow in the back half of the year – I think you saw that improvement start to take root and blossom those last six, eight games.”

Here’s a little context: The Jets were clearly better offensively over the final eight games, at least according to the numbers. They posted 59.1 percent of their total yards, 59.6 percent of their passing yards, 57.8 percent of their rushing yards and 65.2 percent of their points during the season’s second half.

Actual second-half rankings aren’t as easy to come by for those of us that don’t work inside an NFL front office. But those statistics certainly point to the Jets improving over the season’s home stretch – and presumably moving up in those rankings, too. 

Whether you attribute that improvement to Gase, the schedule, injuries or other factors is another discussion entirely. But Douglas clearly seems to believe Gase was the catalyst.

3. June hire reaping benefits

Douglas is now in an unusual position: He’s about to go through the NFL Draft and free agency for the first time with his new team, just like a handful of other first-time GMs. But unlike those other guys, he’s already been in place for six months. All the other new hires will be made in the days and weeks to come.

While Douglas surely would have liked to have the chance to shape this roster in his own image a bit sooner, rather than ride out a year without being able to dictate the offseason, he’s trying to put a positive spin on his unconventional timeline with the Jets.

“I think when you keep the glass half full and you look at the timeline, I was able to come in and I was able, with the football ops side really leaving, I was able to make a lot of relationships and connections on the business side,” Douglas said. "That’s one (positive). 

"I didn’t have to rush through implementing a grading scale change, implementing a new philosophy. You didn’t have to rush, try to hit the ground running with all-star games and the combine right around the corner. So you could really get your processes in place, communicate with the people on your staff about what expectations are.”

4. Expect “collaboration” with Gase

Along those same lines: This will be Gase’s second offseason with the Jets, but his first working alongside Douglas during that process. So what will their relationship look like throughout free agency and the draft?

Here’s Douglas’ vision for that dynamic:

“I think our offseason is going to be a lot like our in-season," Douglas said. "We’re going to speak daily. There’s going to be a lot of conversations, not only with me and Adam – me and the entire coaching staff, Adam and our personnel staff. Collaboration is big with me. At the end of the day, Mr. (Christopher) Johnson has tasked me with making the final decision on roster moves, but I can tell you guys that there’s not going to be decisions that are made unilaterally. There’s going to be a lot of inclusion. There’s going to be a lot of collaboration. We’re going to work together to do what’s best for the New York Jets.”

5. No playoff mandate for 2020

Douglas’ predecessor, Mike Maccagnan, was known for sidestepping questions about “playoff mandates” and making it clear that it was not absolutely necessary for his team to make the postseason. He preferred to use nebulous measuring sticks like “progress.”

Last offseason, Gase was a bit more optimistic. He didn’t guarantee the playoffs, but said the Jets would play “meaningful games” in December. 

Douglas now looks to be reverting to the more cautious approach. He was asked Tuesday if fans should “realistically expect the playoffs in 2020." 

This was his response:

“I don’t think the fans should be happy with 7-9. I think the fans should be excited, should tip their cap to the way this team stuck together and the way the people in this building, the men in that locker room, how they were able to bond, how they were able to put egos and feelings aside and really come together for the good of the team. Our expectation is to build off that and our expectation is to be better in 2020.”

Not exactly Namath-esque.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

699CE5F0-B536-41A3-8200-3E9050312C94.jpeg.56771da89761d624fcf94679776304be.jpeg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Where do Jets stand with Jamal Adams? Robby Anderson? Le’Veon Bell? Great question! 5 takeaways from Joe Douglas’ year-end press conference

Today 3:15 PM 
New York Jets OTA practice session

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas spoke with reporters Tuesday to recap the 2019 season and preview the 2020 offseason.

Comment

Joe Douglas met with reporters for 22 minutes on Tuesday to put a bow on the 2019 season and start looking ahead to 2020.

First thing’s first: Douglas admitted that a 7-9 season and another year without the playoffs is not where the Jets want to be. That’s obvious. But the first-year general manager also tipped his cap to head coach Adam Gase for how the team finished the season.

“Not many 1-7 teams finish 6-2 down the stretch,” Douglas said. “I can’t speak to how great of a job Adam and his staff did.”

Douglas also added that, "going 6-2 is not luck.”

But, in order for the Jets to keep that momentum going next season, Douglas is going to have to push a lot of the right buttons this offseason. He’s likely to have about $60-$80 million in salary cap space this spring, depending on which players he retains. And there is plenty of talent to be had in the 2020 NFL Draft, too, where the Jets will pick four times in the top 80 selections.

Douglas was asked about all of that on Tuesday. Here’s a look at the highlights and what he had to say:

1. Zero insight on big stars

Want to know whether the Jets will re-sign Robby Anderson? Or whether they’ll look to trade Le’Veon Bell and/or Jamal Adams, both of whom are still under contract for multiple seasons? Well, sorry, but Douglas effectively provided zero information on those three fronts.

Douglas did say that he will listen to offers when other teams call him. So, he won’t rule out moving Bell or Adams or anyone else for that matter. That got under Adams’ skin at the trade deadline, but the GM would be foolish not to keep that policy in place, just in case someone offers him an unbelievable package for any of his current players.

But Douglas did not say whether or not he’ll look to extend Adams’ contract; the two-time Pro Bowler is now eligible for a new deal after playing three seasons in the league. He did, however, say that he has no hard-and-fast rule against extending players with multiple years left on their contract, as some organizations do. So, the door is open for an extension – maybe.

Beyond that, Douglas basically just offered platitudes about both Adams and Bell, lauding them for their play and personalities. That was more or less the same with Anderson, too, though Douglas did mention that, “he knows how valued he is here.” No actual substance on whether the Jets will be aggressive in pursuing him once he hits the open market, however.

For those wondering: Outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins did not come up during the Q-and-A, though he’s set to hit free agency, too.

2. Not buying ugly offensive rankings

Gase was brought in to be the Jets’ offensive guru, so fans are understandably angry about the fact that his unit ranked 32nd in total yards, 29th in passing yards, 31st in rushing yards and 31st in points scored during his first season.

Douglas doesn’t seem nearly as troubled by those numbers.

“You know, I know those were the stats, but I have to go back and look through to see how we were during the final eight games of the year, where those offensive ranks were," Douglas said, "because I have to imagine that they’re dramatically improved from the first half of the year. 

"I think the growth of our players, having comfort within the scheme, having comfort with what their position coaches are teaching them, how they were able to grow in the back half of the year – I think you saw that improvement start to take root and blossom those last six, eight games.”

Here’s a little context: The Jets were clearly better offensively over the final eight games, at least according to the numbers. They posted 59.1 percent of their total yards, 59.6 percent of their passing yards, 57.8 percent of their rushing yards and 65.2 percent of their points during the season’s second half.

Actual second-half rankings aren’t as easy to come by for those of us that don’t work inside an NFL front office. But those statistics certainly point to the Jets improving over the season’s home stretch – and presumably moving up in those rankings, too. 

Whether you attribute that improvement to Gase, the schedule, injuries or other factors is another discussion entirely. But Douglas clearly seems to believe Gase was the catalyst.

3. June hire reaping benefits

Douglas is now in an unusual position: He’s about to go through the NFL Draft and free agency for the first time with his new team, just like a handful of other first-time GMs. But unlike those other guys, he’s already been in place for six months. All the other new hires will be made in the days and weeks to come.

While Douglas surely would have liked to have the chance to shape this roster in his own image a bit sooner, rather than ride out a year without being able to dictate the offseason, he’s trying to put a positive spin on his unconventional timeline with the Jets.

“I think when you keep the glass half full and you look at the timeline, I was able to come in and I was able, with the football ops side really leaving, I was able to make a lot of relationships and connections on the business side,” Douglas said. "That’s one (positive). 

"I didn’t have to rush through implementing a grading scale change, implementing a new philosophy. You didn’t have to rush, try to hit the ground running with all-star games and the combine right around the corner. So you could really get your processes in place, communicate with the people on your staff about what expectations are.”

4. Expect “collaboration” with Gase

Along those same lines: This will be Gase’s second offseason with the Jets, but his first working alongside Douglas during that process. So what will their relationship look like throughout free agency and the draft?

Here’s Douglas’ vision for that dynamic:

“I think our offseason is going to be a lot like our in-season," Douglas said. "We’re going to speak daily. There’s going to be a lot of conversations, not only with me and Adam – me and the entire coaching staff, Adam and our personnel staff. Collaboration is big with me. At the end of the day, Mr. (Christopher) Johnson has tasked me with making the final decision on roster moves, but I can tell you guys that there’s not going to be decisions that are made unilaterally. There’s going to be a lot of inclusion. There’s going to be a lot of collaboration. We’re going to work together to do what’s best for the New York Jets.”

5. No playoff mandate for 2020

Douglas’ predecessor, Mike Maccagnan, was known for sidestepping questions about “playoff mandates” and making it clear that it was not absolutely necessary for his team to make the postseason. He preferred to use nebulous measuring sticks like “progress.”

Last offseason, Gase was a bit more optimistic. He didn’t guarantee the playoffs, but said the Jets would play “meaningful games” in December. 

Douglas now looks to be reverting to the more cautious approach. He was asked Tuesday if fans should “realistically expect the playoffs in 2020." 

This was his response:

“I don’t think the fans should be happy with 7-9. I think the fans should be excited, should tip their cap to the way this team stuck together and the way the people in this building, the men in that locker room, how they were able to bond, how they were able to put egos and feelings aside and really come together for the good of the team. Our expectation is to build off that and our expectation is to be better in 2020.”

Not exactly Namath-esque.

I’m not wasting my time watching this utter pointless P.R stunt. He’s going to say nothing. Just prey he can ******* draft. The last guy who had any idea was Mangini.

I watched it and it was as expected.  This is his first year and a full off season and he controls the draft picks.  Reality is he needs 2 full years of off season and draft picks then we all can judge properly.  Look at Dorsey and everything he had going for him all that talent supposedly and all the draft picks.  6-10 result with a much better roster then we had.  

The biggest take from his presser is that he wants high character players and players with passion for the game.  So there are the answers anyone can get from the presser.  

I'll end with this how could anyone expect a guarantee from him knowing nothing in the league is a guarantee?  I would suggest to keep the expectations within reason it will help keep your sanity.  

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

You are so weird. 

• Upvote 1