Who will backup Sam next year?

Trevor Siemien only had a one year deal.

Luke Faulk who somehow started 3 games for us (something Jet haters forget) proved he is not back up material, if even 3rd string talent in this league. 

Sam has missed 3 games each season and is still young. I would like to see a veteran behind him but who will be comfortable sitting somewhere?  

Thoughts? 

• Thumb Down 2

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I would like an older vet that is hired as a semi coach again. I don’t like the fact that Sam doesn’t have a coach on the staff that played QB at a high level. Andy Dalton perhaps? Maybe too much ginger/14 on the staff lol 

I was thinking Dalton as well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'd take Simeien back if he's healthy - knows the system and has starting experience - seems like the most likely scenario

David Fales wouldn't be the worst option, he'd be cheap and knows the system too  - hope we re-sign him and see what he can do in the summer

Mike White is actually an interesting option as well - really liked him in college and the Jets carried him on the PS all season, so he will get a serious look next summer 

I like Mike White also. His game is similar to Sams, I think White has a stronger arm. 
ideally gase actually coaches up White and Sam and you have Sams backup for a few seasons and potential trade material in a few years. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I would like an older vet that is hired as a semi coach again. I don’t like the fact that Sam doesn’t have a coach on the staff that played QB at a high level. Andy Dalton perhaps? Maybe too much ginger/14 on the staff lol 

Moar Ginger! I’d like to see Dalton because he’s a solid vet but also because he kicks our asses when we play him. 

• Upvote 3

You would need a Qb who can play if Sam is injured. Losing a Qb can kill a season if the backup is terrible. Matt Moore has proven he can start. I wasn't much impressed with Siemian he was not a Gase/Douglas signing.  He didn't look that good in pre-season. I would pay extra for a better backup Qb. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Moar Ginger! I’d like to see Dalton because he’s a solid vet but also because he kicks our asses when we play him. 

Would love Dalton, but I think he will go to a place like Chicago where he can displace Trubisky as a starter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Matt Moore wouldn't be a bad guy to target. But I could see them bringing back Siemien as well.

Mariota will be available but he's going to be looking for a place where he can battle for a starting job. I think he's a better option for a team like the Bears or Bucs. 

Moore is definitely a good option, if not the ideal one for 2020. He’s as cheap as they come (made the veteran minimum in 2019 so his cap hit was just $650K); no locker room distractions stemming from delusions that he should be given the chance to win the starting job; he’s a veteran who’s been in the league for a long time; he’s very familiar with Gase; and if he has to start for a few games it isn’t a “don’t bother playing” situation. 

There are better and more talented FAs out there, but the team has too many starter holes to fill to use up several million on a QB2 this offseason. That one will have to wait for the ~$40MM to come off the cap from Bell + Johnson + Enunwa. In the meantime hope for a little luck that a 2021 QB2 materializes from a 2020 6th/7th/UDFA rookie.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Siemian will be the backup next year. There are too many holes to fill in the rest of the roster.

Very good chance of that. Teams won’t exactly be falling all over each other to outbid for him.

I like Moore a little better as an option, because he’d be more of a sideline QBC, but why wouldn’t KC re-sign him for the same reason? Hardly far-fetched he’d prefer to stay in KC with Reid over Gase/Jets as well. Even more so if he gets a ring this year.

If he’s deemed fully recovered then Siemian is also a good option for 2020. It was a freak thing to lose him for the season on his 8th dropback. 

• Upvote 1

imo moore is the best fit for all of the reasons stated.  the salary cap will be an issue especially with trumaine having such a large cap number plus the contracts of mosely and bell.  any really good qb is going to want serious money.  luckily the jets don't mac to throw away 10 million on a guy like mccown.

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'd take Simeien back if he's healthy - knows the system and has starting experience - seems like the most likely scenario

David Fales wouldn't be the worst option, he'd be cheap and knows the system too  - hope we re-sign him and see what he can do in the summer

Mike White is actually an interesting option as well - really liked him in college and the Jets carried him on the PS all season, so he will get a serious look next summer 

Siemian should definitely be the backup, if he's healthy. Starting experience, knows the system, shouldn't be expensive coming back from injury.

• Upvote 1