Go on record now -- who do you THINK and who do you WANT as next Jets HC?

jgb

As always I'm going to give TWO preferences one among former NFL HC's and another among the college ranks.

I always get beat up for this but I don't care....

If I'm going to hire a coordinator I want MIKE WESTHOFF. No one is more deserving of an opportunity than Westhoff and he pretty much built his legendary ST acumen and know how with the NYJ. For all you people that choose to be so sharply critical of the idea, remember our ownership has been throwing sh*t at a wall and seeing what might just stick. How in the world could MIKE Westhoff be any worse than what ownership has already been trying?

If we're looking for an experienced HC my list goes like:

1) Rex Ryan - with correct structure (a good and talented GM) Rex can win the Jets Superbowls. He was knocking on that door twice in the past.

2) Bill O'Brien

In the college ranks my list would like this:

1) Jim Harbaugh

2) Nick Saban - doubtful he'd ever want to leave Alabama but it certainly doesn't hurt to inquire.

3) Dabo Sweeney

4) Brian Kelly

Among that list the Jets should be able to hire a very talented HC

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Think: Bieniemy. Jets written all over him. Pumped up coordinator. Waiting for his shot. Will curry league favor and will likely be cheap. A Johnson wet dream.

Want: Joe Brady. Just too delicious for Jets to choose a Rhule assistant after they scared Rhule away by trying to micromanage his assistant choices. Was a really close call with Greg Roman, who absent the Johnson comeuppance would be my clear #1. 

Think- Greg Roman

Want- Greg Roman. 

For once my desires will align with the Jets brass... because I'm right dammit. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

As always I'm going to give TWO preferences one among former NFL HC's and another among the college ranks.

I always get beat up for this but I don't care....

If I'm going to hire a coordinator I want MIKE WESTHOFF. No one is more deserving of an opportunity than Westhoff and he pretty much built his legendary ST acumen and know how with the NYJ. For all you people that choose to be so sharply critical of the idea, remember our ownership has been throwing sh*t at a wall and seeing what might just stick. How in the world could MIKE Westhoff be any worse than what ownership has already been trying?

If we're looking for an experienced HC my list goes like:

1) Rex Ryan - with correct structure (a good and talented GM) Rex can win the Jets Superbowls. He was knocking on that door twice in the past.

2) Bill O'Brien

In the college ranks my list would like this:

1) Jim Harbaugh

2) Nick Saban - doubtful he'd ever want to leave Alabama but it certainly doesn't hurt to inquire.

3) Dabo Sweeney

4) Brian Kelly

Among that list the Jets should be able to hire a very talented HC

This list is a steaming pile.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

Think: Roman (Makes too much sense with JD)

Want: Harbaugh (Brings top down culture change)

Want to avoid: Bienemy (Gets coffee for Reid and Mahomes)

My thoughts exactly, although I think Campbell is a strong think candidate as well. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, maury77 said:

My thoughts exactly, although I think Campbell is a strong think candidate as well. 

I like the guy, I'm just hesitant about the whole hot college coach making his nfl leap. It doesnt work out that often, very rarely actually. 

11 hours ago, ryu79 said:

That Art Smith guy in Tennessee has already cured one patient from Post Gase Traumatic Disorder and has crafted a remarkably disciplined and effective offense that plays simple football. 

Let's hire that guy. Our whole team is going to need a lot of help recovering from Gase.

But is he a HC? Just because someone has modeled an offensive around a physical freak in Henry and now Tannehill has been better than people thought doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good HC and or build a strong staff. 

this can be said for any OC and we are living through hell with gase because of a few good seasons in Denver.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

you and me both. People are holding on to ideas past I think. My Michigan fan buds cant wait till he's gone. 

5 hours ago, SR24 said:

Think- Wink Martindale

Want- Joe Brady 

FWIW I dont understand the Harbaugh hype 

Think- Wink Martindale

Want - Gene Rayburn

Think: I think it will be someone like Gregg Roman, Wink Martindale, Arthur Smith or Robert Saleh. Bienemy was interviewed and not hired last time we did this, I don't think it'll be him.

Want: Give me Matt Campbell -- he's the next Rhule, the guy we should have hired last time. I'd be in on Jim Harbaugh if Michigan moves on from him and we open up the pocket book too.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I like the guy, I'm just hesitant about the whole hot college coach making his nfl leap. It doesnt work out that often, very rarely actually. 

I can see why people feel that way --  traditionally it's true. But I think the tides are turning. Similar to how spread college QBs and OCs are having success in the NFL I think more and more college coaches are going to have success in the NFL. The times are changing.

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

you and me both. People are holding on to ideas past I think. My Michigan fan buds cant wait till he's gone. 

I think there's a certain level of denial among Michigan fans about what their program is. He's got them winning 10 games every year which is probably their ceiling in 2020. They're not Ohio State, even if they think they are.

Regardless, the frame of reference for Harbaugh isn't what he's doing at Michigan but what he did in the NFL last time around -- which was pretty impressive. I think he's a force of personality culture changer which is needed around here big time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I can see why people feel that way --  traditionally it's true. But I think the tides are turning. Similar to how spread college QBs and OCs are having success in the NFL I think more and more college coaches are going to have success in the NFL. The times are changing.

I hope that's true. I do like the guy, and he has really done something interesting at Iowa State. 

I guess I just dont feel like JD would make that type of hire though, if anything, I feel he goes the nfl coordinator route. 

• Upvote 1

I'd be excited to get Bieniemy. Especially if the Jets end up with TL. I'd love to see how creative he gets with Lawrence and I think JD would really invest a lot in the offense in 2021 to support both new coach and QB. 

I don't think he would nec. be easy to get for the Jets. Having high draft picks, lots of cap space and TL locked up as QB would go a looong way to bringing him in but he is a hot name as a coaching candidate for offensive minded teams after what the Chiefs have done the past few years.