Rich Eisen Take

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Apologies if this was posted as part of another link - I didn't see on here.  Agree or disagree, I found this entertaining and painful at the same time.

If that doesn’t give you a feel for what it’s like to be a Jets fan nothing will. It was torture to listen to just like it’s torture rooting for this team

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Exactly what I've been saying Woody over-corrects like a drunk driving down an icy road when it comes to hiring HCs.

You do realize that since buying the team, every time Woody has flipped the head coach to the opposite personality it leads to an immediate playoff berth or a 10 win season, right?  

Sole exception of Gase (insert joke here), but it’s actually the one thing Woody has gotten right with today’s modern NFL player.  Too much comfort, hit ‘em with a stick. Too much aggression, hug ‘em with some love. Locker rooms burn out.  The coach’s message starts to fall on deaf ears. 4 out of 5 NYJ coaching changes in Woody’s tenure brought a welcomed bump in performance in their rookie season.  Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles.   10 wins or playoffs.   

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

True. And he just scratched the surface.

At least the Jets fan's pain has been from coming close and not breaking through.  Imagine being a Bills or Dolphins fan for the last 20 years.  Just as a reminder:

jetshistory.jpg

You need to remember your Jets history.

We've had 11 winning or non-losing seasons out of the 20 the Johnson's have owned the team.  If Pennington weren't made of glass, it would have been 14 out of 20.

We've made the playoffs 6 times, played in 12 playoff games, and won 6 of them.  Compare that to the Bills and Dolphins who have 1 playoff win since the Johnson's took Jets ownership, combined.

Half of the seasons in the last 25 years we are .500 or better.  A quarter of the seasons the last 25 years we make the playoffs.  Compare that to teams like the Bills since Kelly and the Dolphins since Marino, we look positively dominant.  And we never had a Hall of Fame quarterback, either.

Thing is, we're not even close to the worst franchise in the NFL in the last 25 years.  We're somewhere in the middle.  Like every good NFL team that had a decent 15 year run we're in the down period and trying to build ourselves back up.

Chin up, peeps.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You do realize that since buying the team, every time Woody has flipped the head coach to the opposite personality it leads to an immediate playoff berth or a 10 win season, right?  

Sole exception of Gase (insert joke here), but it’s actually the one thing Woody has gotten right with today’s modern NFL player.  Too much comfort, hit ‘em with a stick. Too much aggression, hug ‘em with some love. Locker rooms burn out.  The coach’s message starts to fall on deaf ears. 4 out of 5 NYJ coaching changes in Woody’s tenure brought a welcomed bump in performance in their rookie season.  Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles.   10 wins or playoffs.   

SAR I

We got a little spoiled there with new coaches and then Gase absolutely sucked 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Drums said:

We got a little spoiled there with new coaches and then Gase absolutely sucked 

Yes.

And it's also Ground Zero of the fans/media meddling with the Johnson's heads theory which states that Jets fans got used to assassinating the incumbent head coach, demanding a new head coach, and high-fiving themselves when they got immediate gratification.  Jets fans are programmed to doubt, immediately hate, get a new guy, and be proven right with an instant turnaround.

What's interesting is that, unlike Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, and Bowles, Gase never lost the team.  No weed arrests, no failed drug tests, no DUI's, no one caught speeding with an illegal weapon with a minor while high, no DB's getting into street fights, no 16 year olds Snapping post-sex photos, no QB's welching for jawbreakers, etc.  That may indicate that the locker room is full of hard-working, mature guys just ripe for Salah to mold into winners.  I'm excited.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

At least the Jets fan's pain has been from coming close and not breaking through.  Imagine being a Bills or Dolphins fan for the last 20 years.  Just as a reminder:

jetshistory.jpg

You need to remember your Jets history.

We've had 11 winning or non-losing seasons out of the 20 the Johnson's have owned the team.  If Pennington weren't made of glass, it would have been 14 out of 20.

We've made the playoffs 6 times, played in 12 playoff games, and won 6 of them.  Compare that to the Bills and Dolphins who have 1 playoff win since the Johnson's took Jets ownership, combined.

Half of the seasons in the last 25 years we are .500 or better.  A quarter of the seasons the last 25 years we make the playoffs.  Compare that to teams like the Bills since Kelly and the Dolphins since Marino, we look positively dominant.  And we never had a Hall of Fame quarterback, either.

Thing is, we're not even close to the worst franchise in the NFL in the last 25 years.  We're somewhere in the middle.  Like every good NFL team that had a decent 15 year run we're in the down period and trying to build ourselves back up.

Chin up, peeps.

SAR I

Woody Johnson as an owner has not been bad.  Chris was in over his head.  
but as you pointed out, the Jets, under WJ, haven’t been great but not horrible either. 
they just need to find a gosh darn QB. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Woody Johnson as an owner has not been bad.  Chris was in over his head.  
but as you pointed out, the Jets, under WJ, haven’t been great but not horrible either. 
they just need to find a gosh darn QB. 

Exactly.  That's the rational way to look at it.  The key to winning a Super Bowl is to have periods of sustained playoff relevance, something that the Johnson's have provided already and proven they can do. 

If you look at teams like the Saints, Eagles, Packers, Seahawks, Chiefs, and Ravens, it's all about 10 years of frustrating non-playoff seasons and ugly playoff losses followed by one magical season where they win it all.  For Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees to only have appeared in 1 Super Bowl each really makes this clear.  Ben Roethlisberger, on the best run franchise in the NFL, won only 2 Super Bowls and hasn't done it again in the last 12 years.  Even with a Hall of Fame QB, winning a Super Bowl is near impossible.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is what I'm expecting next year, the Bowles dead cat bounce.

• Haha 3

Great bit by Rich.  He nailed the Jet experience--moments of hope amidst years of pain.

Thing is, he never mentions the GM's.  They sit in the background while the coach takes the heat.  And a lot of our coaching hires came ready to warm.  Kotite and Gase brought their own frying pans.

But we've had some guys who could coach too.  But we never had the roster.  Our runs to the playoffs were always flukes.  We had much weaker rosters than the other teams.

If there is a road out of this mess, it's JD.  Can he draft and manage the FA market to build a top notch roster.  If not, Staley will be just another disappointment.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Cocaine can put a pep in your step in the short term also 

• Upvote 1

I don't get what is supposed to be so great about this "take". He ran through the history. Like its been done here, there, and everywhere thousands of times. Who cares about 1990? or 1994? or 15 years ago? Its history.

All Eisen did was recite a timeline, and its supposedly somehow insightful?

Don't get it. Big deal. I'm about the same age as Eisen. I remember all of that crap. How its supposed to have anything to do with JD hiring Saleh? 

?‍♂️ 

33 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't get what is supposed to be so great about this "take". He ran through the history. Like its been done here, there, and everywhere thousands of times. Who cares about 1990? or 1994? or 15 years ago? Its history.

Don't get it. Big deal. I'm about the same age as Eisen. I remember all of that crap. How its supposed to have anything to do with JD hiring Saleh? 

?‍♂️

I think it was more saying “wait and see”, instead of “hyping the hire”...

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

But no sustainability at success, just rookie and sophmore luck that fizzles out on the altar of disappointnent. I'm not sure what your point is, because the Jets never got lucky enough in a short term success run to snag a SB appearance. So there's a bump in performance just to predictably wind up in the basement again . . . yay, wheee?

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

?‍♂️

I think Rich echoed what most of us are saying about this latest hire which is, we’ve seen this movie before.

The Jet history has been riddled with a combo of bad luck and dumb decisions...hiring 2 7-9 coaches, lol.

so in conclusion expect nothing because chances are very high that this is what will happen.

Speaking for myself, I wish JD and Saleh nothing but the best but I’m not doing cartwheels because it’s not deserved. 
draft some good players and win some games first.

• Upvote 1