Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

10 hours ago, Vader said:

Watson using Jets. Obviiiiiiii.

I see it the other way around, This is meant for the Texans to hold onto some sort of trade value for Watson. They can't afford to just give him away, and we shouldn't overpay. I trust that if JD and Saleh both want him they will put together a package to Houston they are both comfortable losing, and knowing when to step away if it becomes unreasonable.

For the sake of argument, SF went to the SB with Jimmy G. I believe they are looking to upgrade at QB as well. But if they could get there with him, and the JETS think that Fields or Wilson are better than both Darnold and Jimmy, then why not keep your picks, and roll with either of those 2 draft picks. I don't see the need to trade away 3 picks all being 1st's (plus more compensation possibly) which could end up being an EDGE which we need badly, or some elite LB help, as well as OL/WR/CB help.

I get this team will be better with Watson, but it doesn't necessarily NEED Watson, to accomplish the same objectives.

if Watson really wanted to go to the jets he wouldn't have added them to the no trade clause of the contract he signed in Sept 20. What's really changed since then? The team hired Saleh yes they also bottomed out at 2-14 and have like half a roster 

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i tend to think watson would most likely want to go to a team that is already ready for prime time.  if he wants to play on a rebuilding team he may as well stay with the texans.

This doesn't make any sense because compared to the Jets, the Texans are completely handicapped by having no money & no top draft picks. The Jets? After cutting the likes of the useless trio of Anderson, Lewis & Van Rotten, we'll be approx. 93 million. Plus, we'd still have 2 firsts the next 2 years. Plus, the mere presence of Deshaun Watson would make the Jets a great destination for free agent WRs. Who's he throwing to in Houston? Here, in one offseason, we could have 4 WRs consisting of Allen Robinson, Denzel Mims, Jamison Crowder & maybe a guy like Anthony Schwartz. 

Lets see Houston match that. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

This doesn't make any sense because compared to the Jets, the Texans are completely handicapped by having no money & no top draft picks. The Jets? After cutting the likes of the useless trio of Anderson, Lewis & Van Rotten, we'll be approx. 93 million. Plus, we'd still have 2 firsts the next 2 years. Plus, the mere presence of Deshaun Watson would make the Jets a great destination for free agent WRs. Who's he throwing to in Houston? Here, in one offseason, we could have 4 WRs consisting of Allen Robinson, Denzel Mims, Jamison Crowder & maybe a guy like Anthony Schwartz. 

Lets see Houston match that. 

the texans aren't quite as advanced as the jets are rebuilding but give it a season or two.  at the same time does watson want to go to a winning team or a team where 8-8 may be the high point for the next two seasons.  i'd be willing to bet he'd rather go to a team like dallas or the raiders.  i'm not quite sure where he's getting all this love for bienienmy.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the texans aren't quite as advanced as the jets are rebuilding but give it a season or two.  at the same time does watson want to go to a winning team or a team where 8-8 may be the high point for the next two seasons.  i'd be willing to bet he'd rather go to a team like dallas or the raiders.  i'm not quite sure where he's getting all this love for bienienmy.

Jet fans expectations have been so low based on our starting QB literally rank #32 out of 32 QBs! We don't even have clue what Watson could do here, or how high he can elevate the players around him? Herndon? The guy had a terrible year? Mims? Maybe he breaks out in his 2nd year. Watson sees the whole field, Darnold plays with tunnel vision. Not being LAST in converting 3rd downs keeps guys alert, keeps the defense off the field, allows more continuity because the offense gets more reps together. 

Top 5 from #32. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, slats said:

I continue to find it hard to believe that Watson would prefer to join a 2-14 team with the added pleasure of paying NJ income tax. 

Fake News. JD will not break the bank nor take a big hit on the DP’s. It’s just hasn’t been his style. IMHO. After all it’s not like the Jets are a QB away from the SB. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jet fans expectations have been so low based on our starting QB literally rank #32 out of 32 QBs! We don't even have clue what Watson could do here, or how high he can elevate the players around him? Herndon? The guy had a terrible year? Mims? Maybe he breaks out in his 2nd year. Watson sees the whole field, Darnold plays with tunnel vision. Not being LAST in converting 3rd downs keeps guys alert, keeps the defense off the field, allows more continuity because the offense gets more reps together. 

Top 5 from #32. 

Yet more than half this board, it seems, wants to keep Darnold another year.  It's insane.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Look at the poll  That option is stalled around 14%

Yes. People are overwhelmingly going to want Watson.  Makes sense.

The people who want Darnold are weighing that against drafting a rookie qb who will most likely be a complete bust.  That’s the historical odds.

So its a good thing that nobody here decides 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, football guy said:

His reps don't seriously think he's being traded. They're blowing a lot of smoke hoping the team changes their mind and decides to get bold. At that point, they'll seriously evaluate their options. Jets have been in the news due to Sherman's tweet. Sure he'd like that better than HOU. He'd like Miami too I'm sure. But if push came to shove its hard to see why he wouldn't choose the 49ers or Panthers. Those would also be far more likely destinations unless the Jets were willing to part with 5 1st round picks

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more with this post. 

His reps? 

He has the same agent as Jalen Ramsey. He got Jalen Ramsey traded and Watson is certainly doing all of the same stuff these sportsplayers that want to get traded do these days. So his "reps" already got Jalen traded and has already leaked to the world he wants out. 

2074413706_ScreenShot2021-01-24at11_00_54AM.thumb.png.2e28ef118c57ce7b2fcee4411ee313dc.png

5 First round Picks for the Jets?

You have this reversed. 

The Niners would literally have to double their draft pick offer to match an offer from the Jets or Miami. The Jets could offer 2 and 23 and the Niners could offer this years first (12)and the next 4 years First rounders (Totaling 5 First rounders) and the Jets picks are still likely more valuable according to the Draft Pick Value Chart. 

Even if the Niners wanted to jump up from 12 to 2 just to get one of our picks they would need to come up with 1400 points of value which in itself is equal to another top 10 pick. Even if teams go loosely based on the chart and not exact - They just don't have the firepower to get up there.  Unless Bosa is involved they have no shot. But he needs a deal next year too.

If Deshaun gets traded it JUST for draft picks its going to come down to Miami or the Jets. The Texans have to agree to this deal too and how on earth could they make a deal without a Rookie QB in the deal which means its picks 1-3 this year. 

This is not some earth shattering viewpoint. Its on every show and it is why Deshaun himself is liking Jets/Miami on Twitter and leaking he would go to these teams from his agent/others. Its the only way all parties get satisfied. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

it'll be Darnold on a short leash with a veteran backup ready to step in at a moment's notice. They'll trade back from the #2 and add another first in 2022 (and maybe 2023, too), and address the position then if nothing they threw at the wall this year managed to stick. 

I agree.  And primarily because it's Saleh's first year.  He can go 2-14 and get a mulligan, and the last thing he and Dougla needs is a primadonna quarterback frustrated with lack of wins undermining the very culture they are trying to establish.  We just hit the reset button for the GM and the coaching staff.  We need a reset at QB.  That means a youngster on his rookie contract.

Ironically, had we retained Gase, he'd be going for Watson all-gas no-brakes as it would be his last chance to keep his job.  

SAR I

10 hours ago, football guy said:

His reps don't seriously think he's being traded. They're blowing a lot of smoke hoping the team changes their mind and decides to get bold. At that point, they'll seriously evaluate their options. Jets have been in the news due to Sherman's tweet. Sure he'd like that better than HOU. He'd like Miami too I'm sure. But if push came to shove its hard to see why he wouldn't choose the 49ers or Panthers. Those would also be far more likely destinations unless the Jets were willing to part with 5 1st round picks

@football guy

Can you elaborate on the bolded.

Are you saying Watson and his reps are passive-aggressively trying to get him traded?   Why would Watson's camp do that?  Why not just request a trade if that's what they want?

11 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

True.  He can demand a trade anywhere to get a new coach.  The Jets would be the last place that is persuasive 

Why is that? They hired a coach he wants to play for. They have the cap space and picks to still put a team together. They could be good pretty fast with a franchise qb and the resources they have available. People talk about state tax, but rich people seem to find a way around or to minimize those all the time, and he is in fact rich. He may also have off the field reasons for wanting the Jets. The Jets can probably be considered one of the more 'progressive' teams in the league.

13 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Dude is on video with his manager saying he wants him in jet green.

He’s liking posts about going to the jets.

If we’re not his preferred destination, he has an amazing poker face.

It’s all a diversion.  He really wants to go to the lions

3D9A777E-D91D-4C34-B20F-E66B0B658C90.jpeg.c8a6c432d3a59895859256d221a9022e.jpeg

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

if Watson really wanted to go to the jets he wouldn't have added them to the no trade clause of the contract he signed in Sept 20. What's really changed since then? The team hired Saleh yes they also bottomed out at 2-14 and have like half a roster 

Saleh is a coach players actually want to play for

Unlike Gase who everyone was running away from

29 minutes ago, dcJet said:

@football guy

Can you elaborate on the bolded.

Are you saying Watson and his reps are passive-aggressively trying to get him traded?   Why would Watson's camp do that?  Why not just request a trade if that's what they want?

Because their displeasure is merely due to the fact that they misjudged how good the team was when they signed the extension. Now that it’s gone to sh*t, they don’t want to be part of a rebuild. 

If they officially request a trade, it’s going to be very awkward for Deshaun to explain to his teammates that they’re not good enough. Now at least he can scapegoat the coaching search/ownership as his reasoning.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more with this post. 

His reps? 

He has the same agent as Jalen Ramsey. He got Jalen Ramsey traded and Watson is certainly doing all of the same stuff these sportsplayers that want to get traded do these days. So his "reps" already got Jalen traded and has already leaked to the world he wants out. 

2074413706_ScreenShot2021-01-24at11_00_54AM.thumb.png.2e28ef118c57ce7b2fcee4411ee313dc.png

5 First round Picks for the Jets?

You have this reversed. 

The Niners would literally have to double their draft pick offer to match an offer from the Jets or Miami. The Jets could offer 2 and 23 and the Niners could offer this years first (12)and the next 4 years First rounders (Totaling 5 First rounders) and the Jets picks are still likely more valuable according to the Draft Pick Value Chart. 

Even if the Niners wanted to jump up from 12 to 2 just to get one of our picks they would need to come up with 1400 points of value which in itself is equal to another top 10 pick. Even if teams go loosely based on the chart and not exact - They just don't have the firepower to get up there.  Unless Bosa is involved they have no shot. But he needs a deal next year too.

If Deshaun gets traded it JUST for draft picks its going to come down to Miami or the Jets. The Texans have to agree to this deal too and how on earth could they make a deal without a Rookie QB in the deal which means its picks 1-3 this year. 

This is not some earth shattering viewpoint. Its on every show and it is why Deshaun himself is liking Jets/Miami on Twitter and leaking he would go to these teams from his agent/others. Its the only way all parties get satisfied. 

No

13 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Unlike many, I'll be glad if this was true and we skip the route of going for instant gratification.

You think 52 years would be instant gratification - there are no words. Like I said in a previous post, lots of Jet fans don't want them to win. There is zero justification to not wanting a 25 year old superstar with an affordable contract with plenty of resources to build around him. Zero.

39 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Why is that? They hired a coach he wants to play for. They have the cap space and picks to still put a team together. They could be good pretty fast with a franchise qb and the resources they have available. People talk about state tax, but rich people seem to find a way around or to minimize those all the time, and he is in fact rich. He may also have off the field reasons for wanting the Jets. The Jets can probably be considered one of the more 'progressive' teams in the league.

I agree.  I am talking about the common narrative that’s out there