Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have no idea if Watson really wants to come here, but I doubt the 2-14 thing is all that important for several reasons.

1. The Jets have been viewed as one of the better landing spots for coaches this year, why wouldn't that apply to players.

2.  There aren't that many teams that actually have all the resources that will be required to acquire him and stay within the cap.

3.  Sports stars(mostly NBA) have been skewered for heading to these super teams to try and cement their legacies.

4.  I think(just my opinion) the Dolphins aren't nearly as good as some make them out to be.  They beat 1 team with a winning record.

Just my 2 cents.

also people are forgetting the Adam Gase Effect. We improved the moment he was fired. Gase is literally one of the worst HC ever. It’s not inconceivable to think we could and should have won more games last year but when the team is never prepared and looks like they aren’t coached at all we get the 2nd overall pick and wasted 2 years or our players careers and development. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have no idea if Watson really wants to come here, but I doubt the 2-14 thing is all that important for several reasons.

1. The Jets have been viewed as one of the better landing spots for coaches this year, why wouldn't that apply to players?

2.  There aren't that many teams that actually have all the resources that will be required to acquire him and stay within the cap.

3.  Sports stars(mostly NBA) have been skewered for heading to these super teams to try and cement their legacies.

4.  I think(just my opinion) the Dolphins aren't nearly as good as some make them out to be.  They beat 1 team with a winning record.

Just my 2 cents.

We were a desired spot due to massive draft resources and tons of cap room.

We trade for watson and both of those are massively diminished.

You can say , hey we now have a franchise QB, well in that case everyone and their dog should have been flocking to houston.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Anyone complaining about acquiring Watson should realize we’d be getting an ELITE 25 yo QB.

I’d say only Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahomes are better than Watson. 

Watson is on par with Russel Wilson as 3rd and 4th best.

You get that guy and you never look back.

There’s no “development stage” you get with a rookie. He’s set to go.

When do franchise QBs come available? Never. 
Even Favre was an unknown with potential. 
That’s probably why he’ll never come available unless their relationship is irreparable. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You can say , hey we now have a franchise QB, well in that case everyone and their dog should have been flocking to houston.

Their owner sucks - so that’s the same here. Although, McNair does seem genuinely crazy, Woody is just incompetent. 

But we have a league respected GM, a highly sought after/respected new HC that’s implementing a desirable offensive system, and barring truly silly compensation, the cupboard wouldn’t be bare, just diminished. 

There is a reasonable middle ground where we pay an expensive, but fair price and get Watson without mortgaging the future. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Anyone complaining about acquiring Watson should realize we’d be getting an ELITE 25 yo QB.

I’d say only Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahomes are better than Watson. 

Watson is on par with Russel Wilson as 3rd and 4th best.

You get that guy and you never look back.

There’s no “development stage” you get with a rookie. He’s set to go.

All true but there is always a cost analysis and you need to measure the cost not just in nebulous '1st rounders' but in actual potential players you could get with the assets we will have to give up.

I just did a mock where I traded down twice from #2 overall

Lets assume we give up both 1sts this year and our 1st next year for watson. 

The results end up like this:

Devonta Smith - WR

Jaycee Horn - CB

Travis Etienne - RB

Jalen Mayfield - OT

Joe Tryon - Edge

2022 1st rounder (our own)

2022 1st rounder (we got for trading down)

for

Deshaun Watson

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

1. The Jets have been viewed as one of the better landing spots for coaches this year, why wouldn't that apply to players?

Just my 2 cents.

Yep..Sure theyres tons of teams better then the Jets who would love Deshaun but how many of them can fit him under the cap and also give Houston a ton of picks to appease them?

Also yeah the Jets suck but things can change quickly in the NFL especially with a franchise Qb..Rosters change drastically year to year because of the hardcap..You can become good overnight in this league if you have somebody making the right moves..

The idea that it would take years to become good if we get Watson is foolish if we handle this correctly.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

The Jets would still have plenty of resources both in draft capital and salary cap with Watson.  Do people anticipate the Jets trading 7 picks for him?

look at my post two above yours to see what we might be trading for him.  And those are just the type of players available, you can replace devonta smith with pitts etc.

We can get watson or we can totally remake the team and have like 3 first rounders next year to chase a QB.

Watson, mahommes, herbert, all sorts of guys are there in which you do not have to mortgage the resources to get.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

All true but there is always a cost analysis and you need to measure the cost not just in nebulous '1st rounders' but in actual potential players you could get with the assets we will have to give up.

Devonta Smith - WR

Jaycee Horn - CB

Travis Etienne - RB

Jalen Mayfield - OT

Joe Tryon - Edge

for

Deshaun Watson

A top 3-5 Qb at the age of 25 is worth all of that and more.. the Qb position is so much more valuable then any other position

Even if we got all those players in the draft the chances they all become very good isn’t great but let’s say hypothetically they all do for the sake of the argument..

We still have no Qb so even if they hit we aren’t going anywhere till we get it right at that position.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And how would they get there when the Texans have no draft picks or cap room?

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Devonta Smith - WR

Jaycee Horn - CB

Travis Etienne - RB

Jalen Mayfield - OT

Joe Tryon - Edge

for

Deshaun Watson

I would question using a double-trade down as the comparison, but yes, this is the debate in JDs head. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So why would you be ok to use multiple 1st round picks to "chase a QB" next year?  Isn't that exactly what you are opposed to doing for Watson, who is proven wheras whatever QB you "chase" is a complete crap shoot.

I don't get that stance at all.  

The great thing about future draft picks is they never disappoint Because they haven’t been made yet. If we trade enough of our Picks we could eventually have every pick of the 2030 first round. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That's my point too.  Suppose you could get a guy like Lattimore from NO for pick #23, a mid round pick and/or Darnold.  That's a 24 yr Pro Bowl CB and the Saints are in cap hell.  There's a lot more going on here for JD to think about than just throwing first rounders at Houston to get Watson...

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Yeetin It said:

It’s not like he’s a 34 year old QB. He’s only 25. That leaves many years to build around him

you do understand that his contract is north of 100 million right ??

Edited by Dunnie

56 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If the Dolphins are out then there’s literally only us standing there for this guy. Douglas is going to fleece Houston

IMO this is the take that is going to determine if Watson comes to the Jets, IF , he is traded.

The Fish are making noise like they are happy with Tua, and unlike the Jets on Sam, have announced him as the  starter.  There just isn't any Watson mania down here like up in NY.  if the Dolphins aren't interested, IMO the price will be a lot cheaper.

Going to be a real interesting 4 months.