Let’s Go On Record: Who Do You Want At 23?

Idk if this should be in the draft forum or not..but I’ve been thinking about 23. I know a lot depends on what we do at 2..but ideally..who do you want at 23?

I think a guy that is getting overlooked a little bit is Jaelen Phillips from Miami. As a Canes fan..I’ve watched him a lot this past year and this dude can dominate stretches of a game.

A lot of people have Rousseau ranked a lot higher than him..but I don’t know how the 1 year layoff will effect some of these guys. 

I really think people are sleeping on JP..and if he’s there at 23 I really hope JD considers him. He could be the elusive edge we’ve been after since ABE.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It depends on who is taken with the first pick.  I would go O-line and a playmaker in the first round.  I think this draft should be offensive heavy we need to start giving whoever the QB is weapons and stop playing football like its 1986.   If playmaker at 23 I like the RBs and WR Toney.

• Sympathy 1

On a serious note; I've been pretty stern on wanting offense...and the draft may fall that a solid G/C/T prospect is there but a lot of what I've been seeing lately is there is a ton of late rounder value at OL and WR for that matter.  I wouldnt hate a pass rusher or CB at #23 and from of the mocks I've seen, for what they're worth, there are some intriguing prospects; Horn, Philips. Ojulari, Melifonwu, Newsome, Ossai, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Edge is my preference if one is available with a grade to warrant the spot.

I'm fine with OL.  I think WR gets addressed heavily in free agency.

I don't want a RB there (as much as I DO want a good RB).  But WR's and RB's shake loose in FA.   Edge and quality OL rarely do.

Use the first rounders on the most valuable positions, QB, pass rushers, OL.  I'd love a RB if those other needs were filled but they are not.  First round RB's should be a capstone.

Obviously what happens with Watson and free agency signings will clarify our needs come draft time but my choice is EDGE for now.

• Sympathy 1

Feel like there’s a major drop off in this draft so I kind of hope they trade up from 23.

It is a bit hard to figure out what they’re going to do before free agency. Based on Douglas’ last draft I think it’ll be somebody at a premium position they can ease in. I also think a guy they love at a less premium position who they think is plug and play could work too.

Vera-Tucker is probably a pipe dream but my favorite semi-plausible option by a wide margin. Think he’s a high end plug and play guard with All Pro potential there and fits the scheme but he could also be very good at tackle. They’ll be positioned to not *need* a lineman since last year’s starters are under contract but they could take him and cut a guard or even Fant and really upgrade the line. The other guards in this class who could be there (ie not Slater) have enough questions I don’t think they’re slam dunk enough to be options at 23.

There should be a lot of tackles and I’m okay with taking one but don’t love it. I feel like the tackles who go later and excel are either hyper athletic guys who are a little more raw and become studs at LT which isn’t a need or absolute mammoth road graders at RT which isn’t really a scheme fit. Then there are those guys late round one through the third or so who are kind of the Boringtons - they’re just kind of okay at everything. A lot of the class seems to fit into that category - which is fine and the Jets could use but I’d rather they just did it day two. A couple might be the hyper athletic ones and maybe that works.

I like but don’t love the idea of Rousseau. He’s not super quick twitch but I think that length and frame are appealing. Enough upside that I think he’s a worthy dice roll. Most of the edge class scares me, I think they’re getting pushed up because of the lack of a top guy.

There are a bunch of receivers I like - I’m not sure what they’re looking to do schematically. Somebody, I think @Chrebetfan80 but maybe I’m wrong, pointed out the differences between the receiver styles in SF and GB. If the Jets go more GB style I really like Terrace Marshall. If it’s the SF route Kadarius Toney is maybe the best fit in the draft to the point that he kind of feels like he might be the guy they target at 23 - maybe after a little trade down and if he’s not there just take Rondale Moore and hope he stays healthy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Gregory Rousseau DE

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah OLB

Alijah Vera-Tucker G/T

Jaycee Horn CB

The players above are four targets who not only fits our scheme but as well make an immediate impact. 

37 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Alex Leatherwood

He's more suited for a gap blocking scheme. Great that he lost weight as last years film on him was terrible. Seen him when I was checking out Willis Jr.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

Won't be surprised if the Jets trade down from 2 and trade up from 23

This.

The mocks I’ve been doing end up with us drafting 11+ players. I know we need help on the roster but look at how many of the Idzik 12 actually contributed to the team.  I prefer a quality over quantity  approach.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I know you meant 34

34 NFL Team Logo for Jets New York Jets: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

The Jets need a feature running back to help their offense. Here's a running weapon who also will help their passing offense.

Etienne is not the biggest of backs, but he runs hard for his size and is fast with the ability to rip off long runs on any carry. He also could be an excellent receiving weapon in the NFL because he is a threat to take short check downs for long gains. Etienne totaled 168 carries for 914 yards - 5.4 average - and 14 touchdowns with 48 receptions for 588 yards and two scores in 2020. He also suffered from ball-security issues over the course of the season, fumbling against Boston College, Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pounder played well for Clemson in 2019, showing the speed to break off long gains on any carry. He averaged 7.8 yards per carry for 1,614 yards with 18 touchdowns. He also made 37 receptions for 432 yards and four touchdowns. Etienne averaged 8.1 yards per carry in 2018 for 1,658 yards with 24 touchdowns. He also caught 12 passes for 78 yards and two scores.

• Haha 1