Sheldon Rankins Signs 2yr deal with Jets

jwrmo

Lawson, Q, Rankings, Fatukasi, John Franklin Myers is a very solid defense line for Saleh to work with. They should definitely be in the top tier of d lines in the league. 

the linebacker unit looks promising too with Mosey (hopefully returning to form), Davis and Cashman. 

and our safeties are solid as well Marcus Maye, Ashtyn Davis and Lamarcus Joyner. 

obviously we need corners but this group constructed right here I think will be completitice on the field and Saleh will mix in some good schemes

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lawson, Q, Rankings, Fatukasi, John Franklin Myers is a very solid defense line for Saleh to work with. They should definitely be in the top tier of d lines in the league. 

the linebacker unit looks promising too with Mosey (hopefully returning to form), Davis and Cashman. 

and our safeties are solid as well Marcus Maye, Ashtyn Davis and Lamarcus Joyner. 

obviously we need corners but this group constructed right here I think will be completitice on the field and Saleh will mix in some good schemes

Top 10?

obviously we need a slot but I wonder if Salah thinks Bless and Hall are good to roll with as the starters. I’m not as down on Bless as most- I think he’s young and crazy athletic and still learning after all the time out in college with injuries. Also Guidry was ok last year, at least better than expected- another young, green, crazy 4.2 athlete.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Ash was useless on defense last year??

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Am I the only one that thinks Ash was useless on defense last year??

No -- assuming you are referring to Cashman and Ash was an autocorrect.  The guy has played 11 games in two seasons.  Looked promising as a rookie but little impact last year.  And after multiple surgeries in college, he is not someone I would count on for 2021..  

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

No -- assuming you are referring to Cashman and Ash was an autocorrect.  The guy has played 11 games in two seasons.  Looked promising as a rookie but little impact last year.  And after multiple surgeries in college, he is not someone I would count on for 2021..  

I meant Ash and Cashman was an asinine pick because of his injuries. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Think the Jets have signed 10 FA's.  All seem to be up grades.

I think Joe is alive and well

It would’ve been almost impossible though for them to not be upgrades. The question is whether we have found enough starting caliber talent for the team to function well.

We’re getting closer but we are still at this time stuck with many starters who would not be in the starting lineups of something like 25 other NFL teams.

2 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

To be honest, I don't care if this is a really good move or not.  I just want a decent o line besides Dan Feeny.  My focus this offseason is solely on how JD upgrades the offense.  Everything else gets a " cool story" bro reaction.  The Jets will  move as the offense moves in 2021.

That’s a fair point. My thoughts have been that the defense could come along well without a great talent infusion THIS YEAR simply because of Saleh. In other words, I expect him to get more out of the defense and average personnel then I would for the Jets to get out of the offense with either Darnold or a rookie quarterback. It’s the offense that needs the larger talent infusion to get up to respectability. If the D needs to get by in 2021 with some JAGs as Saleh tries to mold it, that’s fine. We can put off the big investment in terms of high draft picks and even big free agency money on defense until 2022, or even later. The offense needs legit players and investment. 

• Upvote 1

Another solid signing.

Some of our more apoplectic and/ or mentally deficient board brothers won't be pleased with anything. 

I'm not a fan of signing Sherman but think that happens to round out the CB room and add a grandfatherly presence to the room. In house I think they are higher on our young group of CBs than us fans, an actual pass rush will help.

IOL will be drafted.

Maybe we sign an RB probably opt to draft one instead.

I like Golladay but didn't want to spend 18M per on him with some of the health question marks.

O Line we need to add 2 starting IOL to Becton, Mcgovern, and Can't but we are fine with those 3.

I'm liking our signings so far but whatever.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He’s not making it that far. There’s a shortage of good CBs in this draft so the good ones are going high. 

Depends where he's ranked, I've seen a lot of him in that range.

Big Board Ranks

CBS - 27th

Tankathon - 49th

Walter Football - 3rd Round

PFF - 29th

Daniel Jeremiah - not on top 50

DraftTek - 26th

ESPN - 45th

Todd McShay - not in top 32

Mel Kiper - not in top 25

It's a hard year to grade players but I don't think 34 is a reach. The nice thing is we have the 23rd pick so if CBs are going quick we should be able to get one. I'm hoping Horn somehow makes it down to us.

2 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

To be honest, I don't care if this is a really good move or not.  I just want a decent o line besides Dan Feeny.  My focus this offseason is solely on how JD upgrades the offense.  Everything else gets a " cool story" bro reaction.  The Jets will  move as the offense moves in 2021.

and he's added a #2 WR.  That's it.  Worrisome for sure.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Mac drafting or signing DLine.....”that’s all this guy does! Does he know there’s more positions!”

JD signing DLine “genius!” 

For the record im ok with this signing but it’s funny pointing out the hypocrisy of some 

Well most of us have brains and know the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Depends where he's ranked, I've seen a lot of him in that range.

Big Board Ranks

CBS - 27th

Tankathon - 49th

Walter Football - 3rd Round

PFF - 29th

Daniel Jeremiah - not on top 50

DraftTek - 26th

ESPN - 45th

Todd McShay - not in top 32

Mel Kiper - not in top 25

It's a hard year to grade players but I don't think 34 is a reach. The nice thing is we have the 23rd pick so if CBs are going quick we should be able to get one. I'm hoping Horn somehow makes it down to us.

I think this is a bad year for CBs. Most of them didn’t have sh*t for ints. 

Offense is a completely different story but on defense it's all about building around our future NFL superstar;

Quinnen Williams. 

If placing both Lawson at edge rusher DE in a 4-3 and Sheldon Rankins right next to QW @ DT...

will help Quinnen Williams both get after QBs and absolutely demolish the run game up front?

Them moves like this are potentially A+. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Mac drafting or signing DLine.....”that’s all this guy does! Does he know there’s more positions!”

JD signing DLine “genius!” 

For the record im ok with this signing but it’s funny pointing out the hypocrisy of some 

So, Mac drafts 4 DT's and 2 DE's in the years he had, but its hypocritical because JD signed one DT?

How far did you have to stretch to make that one fit?  

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We better friggin hope bryce hall is the real deal and that bless austin gets better this year and not worse.

Hey Rankins is pretty decent at times, not sure about the value of the contract but ...

TE no big improvment

CB zero improvment

Oline no real improvement.

Luckily, I think there is potentially good value at CB and oline for pick 23 and 34

you're putting a lot of faith in rookies at 2 very important positions.

Yeah so, I hate it. We have quinnen. Shepherd. Fatukasi.  We've gotten good value out of Franklin-Meyers and some others. Basically some of the strongest contributions have come from late rounders and UDFAs. Dline was not a hole in the slightest and Rankins is just pretty good. OL, CB, OLB, TE are all actual weak spots with little depth. That money could have been spent much more wisely. DL could have been addressed in the mid to late rounds of the draft and cost very little.