Justin Fields Confusion Thread

Grandy

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Strongly prefer him to Wilson.  Hopefully, given my lackluster evaluation of QB prospects over the years, this will be a George Constanza situation if/when the Jets take Wilson.

I have liked fields as a prospect for about a year and he’s always been my 1b to Lawrence, but I admit that Wilson is a better prospect than I realized.

My concern with Wilson is the injuries. 

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

For weeks now we've heard zilch about Justin Fields anywhere near the top of the draft (including us). With the Gil Brandt tweet saying the highest teams are on him is just top 5 while on the low end Rnd 4, the report that Lynch and Shanahan are going to see Jones instead, and the absolute lack of talk about him at 2  I'm genuinely stumped. Fields isn't my favorite prospect, but the difference between him, Wilson, and Lawrence isn't incredibly large imo. He's got an extremely rare combination of talent with 4.4 legs, a great arm, and accuracy at all levels of the field (especially downfield). Regardless of his issues with 1 reads, and sometimes poor pocket management I can't see how his talents wouldn't still carry his stock high. Perhaps it's due to poor impressions in zoom meetings teams have had, maybe people have found serious flaws in his tape, idk.

I've watched a great deal of him, and I will acknowledge there's some alarming things such as mental, and mechanical hiccups. Couple that with some very bad decisions from refusing to let a play die  there is some room for concern, however it's not that huge to me. For all his hiccups they only amounted to 9 interceptions over a career, meanwhile Darnold did the same stuff and hit that pick total in both of his seasons on their own (and was QB 1 according to 90% of the population). On the other hand though, this narrative difference could be attributed to a stronger class this year, but I'm still confused because Fields is smart, and hard working. The guy can definitely improve on his issues.

It's just puzzling that the talk on Fields is mute nationally. I've yet to see anyone involved in the NFL really go to bat for him, in fact this board is by far the most pro-Fields place I've ever seen. Guys like Simms have gone over why they're concerned, but his abilities are so impressive that combined with his body of work I can't see why anyone would have him outside the top 3. This whole narrative has been shifted, with a large lack of analysis and reason as to why. Would very much like to hear more of why the NFL thinks this way more in depth, because this guy was regarded as 1b for the longest time. Just feel confused with the whole shift of things against Fields. 

More puzzling that after that National Semifinal game vs. Clemson people were talking about him going #1.  There was a solid week or so there where Fields was in legit conversations to be taken first.

• Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

For weeks now we've heard zilch about Justin Fields anywhere near the top of the draft (including us). With the Gil Brandt tweet saying the highest teams are on him is just top 5 while on the low end Rnd 4, the report that Lynch and Shanahan are going to see Jones instead, and the absolute lack of talk about him at 2  I'm genuinely stumped. Fields isn't my favorite prospect, but the difference between him, Wilson, and Lawrence isn't incredibly large imo. He's got an extremely rare combination of talent with 4.4 legs, a great arm, and accuracy at all levels of the field (especially downfield). Regardless of his issues with 1 reads, and sometimes poor pocket management I can't see how his talents wouldn't still carry his stock high. Perhaps it's due to poor impressions in zoom meetings teams have had, maybe people have found serious flaws in his tape, idk.

I've watched a great deal of him, and I will acknowledge there's some alarming things such as mental, and mechanical hiccups. Couple that with some very bad decisions from refusing to let a play die  there is some room for concern, however it's not that huge to me. For all his hiccups they only amounted to 9 interceptions over a career, meanwhile Darnold did the same stuff and hit that pick total in both of his seasons on their own (and was QB 1 according to 90% of the population). On the other hand though, this narrative difference could be attributed to a stronger class this year, but I'm still confused because Fields is smart, and hard working. The guy can definitely improve on his issues.

It's just puzzling that the talk on Fields is mute nationally. I've yet to see anyone involved in the NFL really go to bat for him, in fact this board is by far the most pro-Fields place I've ever seen. Guys like Simms have gone over why they're concerned, but his abilities are so impressive that combined with his body of work I can't see why anyone would have him outside the top 3. This whole narrative has been shifted, with a large lack of analysis and reason as to why. Would very much like to hear more of why the NFL thinks this way more in depth, because this guy was regarded as 1b for the longest time. Just feel confused with the whole shift of things against Fields. 

Even more surprising is the fact that Trey Lance, a guy who played one game this season and has faced lesser competition than Zach Wilson is reportedly passing Fields and is now viewed by most as a top 10 pick with some mocking him to Atlanta at 4.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Strongly prefer him to Wilson.  Hopefully, given my lackluster evaluation of QB prospects over the years, this will be a George Constanza situation if/when the Jets take Wilson.

Is that the episode where George does everything contrary to what he normally would do? That was a hilarious episode 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

don't understand all the hate for fields - i like him.  i'm torn between fields and wilson though.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

same here.  I've surrendered my attempts to predict how these QB prospects will be.  So glad this message board has so many geniuses who know the future already.  What would we ever do without them? I mean we got people who actually know that Wilson will bust and know that Fields would be better. Amazing talent evaluation skills among some of our group.  Yet somehow, they are not working for NFL teams.  Strange, huh?  And of course, having hit correctly on a player once in 5 years is all the proof we need that those opinions are right. 

I like those who tell me that the ceiling is higher for one, Fields or Wilson, over the other.  What?  Whats the ceiling top 5 QB?  Why is the ceiling higher for Fields or Wilson over the other.  Its like theyre trying to say one will be better than the other without actually committing to it.  LOL

• Upvote 1

Love me some fields, his short ball accuracy is terrible though possibly fixable (wasn’t for Sanchez). He has a tendacy to make some bad decisions in chaos, also possibly fixable. he is easily a top 10 talent.

Wilson has blown me away more recently I think he has Aaron Rodgers potential pure talent. 

• Upvote 1

I agree! Weirdest qb year ever!

Sleeping on fields when hes earned more respect....

trey lance coming out of nowhere NOT earning anything....

wilson hype is over the moon.....but no history

at least people have woken up to mac jones because he has earned it imo

• Upvote 1

I like Fields also, but from what I've been reading and @football guy sources
it seems like Ohio St. offense makes it simple for QB's to perform.  Therefore
that explains why Fields would look slow in making decisions when defenses
would throw "tricks" at him (Indiana & Northwestern).  I wonder if we can call
it the "Dwayne Haskins" effect because he threw up some outrageous stats but
was obviously not prepared for the pros.  We'll see, I still believe if Fields
is properly coached someone will be getting a good QB

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I agree! Weirdest qb year ever!

Sleeping on fields when hes earned more respect....

trey lance coming out of nowhere NOT earning anything....

wilson hype is over the moon.....but no history

at least people have woken up to mac jones because he has earned it imo

It’s a bad qb class and people are grasping at straws because the jets accidentally  won 2 games

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s a bad qb class and people are grasping at straws because the jets accidentally  won 2 games

To be fair it seems to be a little more than just the Jets grasping at straws considering the 49ers just traded three 1st for what is likely the third best QB in this bad QB class. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, KRL said:

I like Fields also, but from what I've been reading and @football guy sources
it seems like Ohio St. offense makes it simple for QB's to perform.  Therefore
that explains why Fields would look slow in making decisions when defenses
would throw "tricks" at him (Indiana & Northwestern).  I wonder if we can call
it the "Dwayne Haskins" effect because he threw up some outrageous stats but
was obviously not prepared for the pros.  We'll see, I still believe if Fields
is properly coached someone will be getting a good QB

KRL - I thought I read last week that the OSU offense is one of the few in college that uses option routes for the WR (similar to the NFL) and that was part of the reason Fields could look "indecisive" at times.  He would be waiting to see what the WR was going to do on a given play to make sure they had the same read. If true, this would be different than for a QB who knew exactly where his WR was going to go and could anticipate a little more.

Is that not correct?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

But they're not attending his pro day?

Yeah, I wrote that - then actually saw what was going on. 

I think I was clearly wrong there.

It certainly is starting to look like Jones is their guy.  I'm shocked by it - but it does seem to be the case.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

KRL - I thought I read last week that the OSU offense is one of the few in college that uses option routes for the WR (similar to the NFL) and that was part of the reason Fields could look "indecisive" at times.  He would be waiting to see what the WR was going to do on a given play to make sure they had the same read. If true, this would be different than for a QB who knew exactly where his WR was going to go and could anticipate a little more.

Is that not correct?

Good catch

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Grandy said:

Bucky Brooks, Mel Kiper, Joe Klatt to name a few all have him as their 2nd rated QB. It’s just hard to hear those voices over the very loud pro Wilson crowd. 

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair it seems to be a little more than just the Jets grasping at straws considering the 49ers just traded three 1st for what is likely the third best QB in this bad QB class. 

And once upon a time the Washington Redskins traded up for RG3 who is quite similar to Fields

as much as I dislike Fields I’d rather draft him over Wilson and his fragile body