Yes we should have kept Darnold

Dcronin

1 hour ago, Vin said:

And maybe that's exactly what he needs to be successful in this league?

Good weapons to make him look good.

Oh wait.....isn't that true for all QBs?    *Mind Blown*

or maybe its the good QB who makes his weapons look good. 

is it a coincedence that every good/great QB are on great teams? 

31 minutes ago, doitny said:

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

You can't deny that it helps tremendously, though.

Or maybe Sam is actually a good QB who was just stuck in a sh-tty situation where he got zero coaching and zero development?   That is also a possibility. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, doitny said:

No matter how good of a QB you are if you have horrible coaching,  no weapons, and no protection you arent going to succeed that’s just a fact.  Now i do agree that great QBs elevate their team’s performance BUT if you have none of the 3 things I mentioned( coaching, weapons, protection) then the likelihood of a QB succeeding is extremely slim 

• Upvote 4

As a Jet fan, I don’t think I could stomach a 2-0 start and likely heading to 3-0. 

Yeah, that would suck. 

Blah blah rationalization blah blah blah. 

The guy’s a decent QB. Get over it, we got a better QB but Sam will be a long time starter in this league. 

Notwithstanding what that one dude we all know was saying…oh…three weeks ago. Now crickets. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

As a Jet fan, I don’t think I could stomach a 2-0 start and likely heading to 3-0. 

Yeah, that would suck. 

The guy’s a decent QB. Get over it, we got a better QB but Sam will be a long time starter in this league. 

Notwithstanding what that one dude we all know was saying…oh…three weeks ago. Now crickets. 

Wilson isn't a better QB.If both QB's reach their highest  ceiling, Wilson is slightly more gifted. Right now Wilson is rookie who hasn't  showed us what his talent can do for us.

Slightly? Wilson's ceiling is much higher than Sam's. 

Based on what exactly? People keep saying that, but what exactly is it based on? His one year wonder season at BYU? Really? He has a strong arm? I mean, ok. He got systematically dismantled and was throwing back foot prayers up because he had zero clue wtf was going on around him. I don’t think on either side of the ball honestly. I think this was an awful QB class and we forced ourselves to draft a QB rather than playing Sam out for one more year and punting the QB search to next years draft which by simple odds alone would have better prospects than these.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Based on what exactly? People keep saying that, but what exactly is it based on? His one year wonder season at BYU? Really? He has a strong arm? I mean, ok. He got systematically dismantled and was throwing back foot prayers up because he had zero clue wtf was going on around him. I don’t think on either side of the ball honestly. I think this was an awful QB class and we forced ourselves to draft a QB rather than playing Sam out for one more year and punting the QB search to next years draft which by simple odds alone would have better prospects than these.

Some people say the silliest sh*t.

• Upvote 1

Trading Sam was an enormous error and not just because he is a better player than Zach.Trading down or drafting another player would have allowed the Jets to have better supporting players. Wilson is smallish, he is going to get beat up with a terrible team surrounding him and probably injured playing hero ball in his desperation to get something going.

Then the Jets' starting QB will be Mike White. How can a competent GM allow this to happen?

Under Douglas the Jets are 2-16 and it can actually get worse.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Buck said:

Trading Sam was an enormous error and not just because he is a better player than Zach.Trading down or drafting another player would have allowed the Jets to have better supporting players. Wilson is smallish, he is going to get beat up with a terrible team surrounding him and probably injured playing hero ball in his desperation to get something going.

Then the Jets' starting QB will be Mike White. How can a competent GM allow this to happen?

If we have a competent GM, the draft picks we've had this year and next year should be more than enough to surround a more talented and cheaper QB than the one we had. 

1 hour ago, Buck said:

Signed up to post this. Be a little more subtle next time. 

If Joe put a good team around Sam , Sam has shown he can be productive and win. Joe was not capable of doing this . He failed Sam , the Jets and us fans. He is now failing Wilson the same way already by providing no line , no tight ends , trash rbs and allowing berrios to be out there as our number one. He is following same failed model from last year too in bringing in jags for one year deals as well 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Yeah, that would suck. 

We did ?

Sam looks happy, he has a goofy grin on his face.  He's playing winning football.  I'm glad we got rid of him.  It was the best thing for him.  

Anyone who is a Sam fan who thinks we should have kept him obviously hates Sam.  

I almost forgot.  Zach is a dead man walking.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Sam on the 2021 Jets = 0-2 start, looking at 0-3. IMHO.

Cue the wailing "we should have dumped Sam and drafted Wilson" threads on JN. :D 

If Sam was here joe could have traded the pick and added two weapons and the team would be more competitive for sure ( if Joe actually could hit on draft picks)

11 hours ago, neckdemon said:

idk how the panthers fans are stomaching it right now.......

Darnold was a train wreck with our team.  (Insert Darnold Gase, other coaching, system, etc. excuse here.)  Best thing to happen to that putz was a ticket out.   If he were still our QB?  No doubt we'd still be 0-2 and he'd continue on his march toward pick 6 immortality.  

The season is still young.  Still plenty of time for young Sam to show his true colors.

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

If Sam was here joe could have traded the pick and added two weapons and the team would be more competitive for sure ( if Joe actually could hit on draft picks)

Oh, I quite agree - I just don't think anything would have materially altered how we sit as a team right now. And there would still be all sorts of hindsight about what we should have done.

Let's say we somehow managed such a great trade that we ended up with Pitts and Sewell (unlikely, but these were names that were thrown around that we should try to get). Rest of the draft goes the same way (AVT etc). I don't see how that would have made us a much better team than we are today.

The road to being a serious contender is longer than this year for the Jets, and we were about to hit a serious junction regarding Sam. Keep him and pay him big $$$, or move on. Maybe we moved on too early, but there's an old saying about that. ;-)  For the record, I was a big supporter of Sam, thought we had bigger issues elsewhere, but even I saw last year that Sam and the Jets both needed to go their separate ways - for all parties. Sam's benefited from it so far, I just have to hope that we will see our own benefit further down the line once our rookie QB is not such a rookie anymore.

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Darnold Is in a great place, the Panthers have a very good team, talented all over the field. He’d still stink here, we are to bereft of talent I can’t see us do anything until at least 2023.

I don't agree he would still stink here.  The team is much improved, imo, and if we stuck with Sam and traded out of #2 there would probably be even more future.  

Sam's biggest problem was no coaching.  Talent aside, which was also limited, he was never coached and it showed.  

However, he is on another team, and we have potential of our own AGAIN.

Guys, we all saw this coming. We knew Sam would be good once away from Gase and this talentless team.

The only thing that matters is the development of Zach. If he’s good, it doesn’t matter what Sam does. 

Which brings me to the final point: Joe Douglas. Generally speaking, I’ve been happy with what I’ve seen from Joe “approach” wise. Has it all worked out? No. But I was able to live with the growing pains because I knew the approach was sound. However, things changed. We have a young heir apparent. By the middle of next season, if we’re still wondering if Zach can get it done, JD will be straining all our remaining patience. It’s time JD stop being cheap and finish building the oline, I don’t give 2 craps what he has to spend to get it done. Enough is enough already, I want to see competent QB play and a respectable offense before I die.

TRADE BACK MANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

team logo
  • NYJ
    DeVonta Smith
    WR Alabama
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Christian Darrisaw
    OT Virginia Tech

• NYJ
    Joseph Ossai
    EDGE Texas
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Travis Etienne
    RB Clemson

• NYJ
    Zaven Collins
    LB Tulsa
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Quincy Roche
    EDGE Miami (FL)
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Zion Johnson
    OG Boston College

• NYJ
    Anthony Schwartz
    WR Auburn

• NYJ
    DJ Daniel
    CB Georgia
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Brevin Jordan
    TE Miami (FL)
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Victor Dimukeje
    EDGE Duke

• NYJ
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• NYJ
    Kellen Mond
    QB Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • 2022 JAX 1st
  • 2022 IND 3rd
  • 2022 LAR 5th
  • 2022 CLE 5th

all those trade back ones, damn, just repp'd a bunch.  Hard not to like the idea when you see those drafts.  Basically a totally revamped, young, high potential team after 1 draft.  Find a QB in FA to battle with Sam, maybe take on late, do it again next year....they just might be able to turn this around in 2 years with that approach.

If Joe put a good team around Sam , Sam has shown he can be productive and win. Joe was not capable of doing this . He failed Sam , the Jets and us fans. He is now failing Wilson the same way already by providing no line , no tight ends , trash rbs and allowing berrios to be out there as our number one. He is following same failed model from last year too in bringing in jags for one year deals as well 

He failed the Jets by drafting Zach.

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Posts from my build around Sam mocks...F'ing A.  Why cant we ever find a GM who knows their ass from their elbow.

Look at the talent injection and the way they set themselves up for next draft with simply doing the right thing and trading back 

Would Sam still have fumbled 4 times in our first 3 games like he has for the Panthers?