As a Saleh doubter, this clip from today makes me hopeful

Matt39

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I can believe this is about Mims. He never looked happy from the moment he was drafted.

Becton, on the other hand, was in tears when we drafted him. I'm kinda surprised that we're now discussing the possibility that he may not be 100% committed to football, as that doesn't jive with what we saw on draft night. I'm still hoping he has a turnaround, but I'm not as optimistic as I once was. I guess we'll see.

Becton also showed *waaay* more than Mims ever did last year.

It's easy to believe that what many have speculated about Becton is true - that currently he's not dedicated enough to taking care of his body.  Like even though the knee was healed, the coaches wouldn't let him play unless he got himself in better shape - and he never did.

If Saleh is consistent - and there's no reason to think he won't be - Becton is just not going to play, period, unless he gets a better attitude and work ethic.  If that doesn't get through to him - nothing will.

As you said: I guess we'll see...

• Upvote 3

There’s no doubt we’ve seen some growing pains with this coaching staff but nothing about Saleh and the way he conducts himself leaves me anything other than impressed. The exact right balance between fire & exuberance  and calm & disciplined. He comes with pedigree and a track record too and he understands the game, he might not be the X&O’s genius that Rex was but he’s overseen a great defensive unit in SF so he knows what he’s doing!….
I always thought a guy with the best of Bowles and the best of Rex would make for a hell of a HC and there’s a chance we are seeing it with RS. He’s only won 4 games but he’s done it with the thinnest of talent and a very young and inexperienced team which has played better over the last few weeks, a competitive showing against the Bills will be huge for us all going into the offseason feeling that the arrow is finally pointing up.
I’ve been fooled with these things before mind you but this guy is as impressive as anyone we’ve seen in a long time and I love how he totally exudes confidence in himself and those around him without ever coming across as a an arrogant douche. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, thshadow said:

Becton also showed *waaay* more than Mims ever did last year.

It's easy to believe that what many have speculated about Becton is true - that currently he's not dedicated enough to taking care of his body.  Like even though the knee was healed, the coaches wouldn't let him play unless he got himself in better shape - and he never did.

If Saleh is consistent - and there's no reason to think he won't be - Becton is just not going to play, period, unless he gets a better attitude and work ethic.  If that doesn't get through to him - nothing will.

As you said: I guess we'll see...

I actually see the Becton thing a little differently, I think it’s less about any perceived attitude and more that both Fant & Moses were playing well and the line was finally starting to gel, bringing MB back into that at a time when we needed to give Zach all the continuity we could muster would’ve been a mistake. GF & MM had earned their right to start and having the No 11 overall pick from a year ago sit on the bench would’ve been a worse look than the minor controversy of using the injury to mask the fact that he didn’t deserve to replace either of those guys while they were playing so well. 
In the end I think they rightly decided that the injury was a convenient smokescreen and that dropping either Fant or Moses would’ve been totally wrong (and those types of things matter in the locker room).
It’s smoke and mirrors but I think they’ve played this smartly. Avoid the bigger controversy, light a bit of a fire under your young player but at the same time not totally humiliate him publicly while rewarding the solid play of established, and for all we know, highly respected and liked veterans. Becton is only 22, he has time to flourish and he’s as likely to do that when he’s forced to earn it.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The fact that Saleh chose to come here will be one of the most important things to ever happen to this franchise.

Saleh will have a Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton type run here.

Enjoy Jet fans.  We finally did it!!!

Screenshot_20220106-062442_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Big Bob here is gonna learn the harsh reality that he’s going to have to get through to a bunch of guys who don’t love football and only play football for the paycheck. Homeboy thinks he can have a roster with 53 Braxton Berrioses and win games. **** outta here, Bob. 

There was an excellent case study that played out right in front of our eyes this season: John Franklin Myers. When dude was on his one year “show me” deal, he played with his hair on fire, looked amazing, got paid, then entered witness protection and was never heard from again. Bob, if he lasts a few years, is eventually going to have to figure out how to get through to both versions of JFM, because he’s not coaching at Snow Valley CC. What a ******* clown. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, CSNY said:

65 Legitimate question. Why do you or any number of fans think Fant isn’t a long term solution as he has played a excellent LT Even if he is pushing 30 he has relatively low miles on his body since he hasn’t played all that much football during his career as he’s only been a starter the past two years  I think he can only get better and be a perennial pro bowler Great signing by JD 

IMO, we should bring back Fant and Moses.  Both played very well this past year.  Make Becton earn a starting gig.  Becton was a good rookie, not a multi-time All-Pro.    

• Upvote 2

the 1st thing i thought about was Trevor. how he said he doesnt need football. now i know Saleh wasnt talking about him but it really makes me wonder if we had #1 if we still pick Wilson.
Smart people would.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Big Bob here is gonna learn the harsh reality that he’s going to have to get through to a bunch of guys who don’t love football and only play football for the paycheck. Homeboy thinks he can have a roster with 53 Braxton Berrioses and win games. **** outta here, Bob. 

There was an excellent case study that played out right in front of our eyes this season: John Franklin Myers. When dude was on his one year “show me” deal, he played with his hair on fire, looked amazing, got paid, then entered witness protection and was never heard from again. Bob, if he lasts a few years, is eventually going to have to figure out how to get through to both versions of JFM, because he’s not coaching at Snow Valley CC. What a ******* clown. 

Motivation is one thing, talent is another.  this regime is going to have to discern the difference, and not pay try hard guys like JFM real money just b/c they embody the ideal culture they crave.  

More than anything, this speech feels like a warning shot at highly drafted guys like becton and mims saying you will not be on this team next year if you do this again.  I don’t care if the gm drafted you with a premium pick, it was done before we got here and we’re going to keep drafting guys at your position that we like more than you.  

• Upvote 4

I am still hopeful for Becton. Whatever issues he is going thru, if he can work thru them and get his health and well being back on track, he can be a factor for this team next year. I at least fell a bit better with Coach Saleh and his staff working with these guys.  

• Upvote 1

The great Coaches figure out what makes the players tick and motivate them.  Parcels, BB and every winning coach of the Raiders got guys to buy in and play.  Hallmark cards don’t win, motivated talent wins.   

There are lots of mercenary players who have been an instrumental part of winning football teams.  Including Joe Namath.  

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Goodbye Becton if that is the case.

10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

First thought after watching that.

10 hours ago, Hex said:

Cough, cough Becton

10 hours ago, victorjets said:

Yeah, Mims is a goner.

"They tell on themselves every day."

Yeah, safe to say Becton and Mims aren't in the long term plans here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it's less about actual love of football vs. motivation and clearly guys who genuinely love football are easier to motivate.

"Is this guy motivated to be the best version of himself" is what he's really getting it. Elijah Moore clearly is. Denzel Mims clearly isn't.

9 hours ago, doitny said:

the 1st thing i thought about was Trevor. how he said he doesnt need football. now i know Saleh wasnt talking about him but it really makes me wonder if we had #1 if we still pick Wilson.

That was an alarming statement, basically saying if I get tired of playing, I’m out. Say want you want about Wilson but  he has heart and loves the game.

• Upvote 1

imo it's a good way to view things and the type of players that get the job done.  it's similar to what the bellichicken says about wanting players who are 80% of great every play as opposed to players who are 100% great but only show up a few plays.  from this it sounds like mims will be gone unless he turns his game around.  becton?  i know he's being criticised of late.  the fact is he can be a great player and even without much work can be more than adequate.  it's all about what he wants at this point.  as for the rest of the 2020 draft class, i just don't believe douglas didn't take character and desire into consideration when he drafted those guys. 

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The fact that Saleh chose to come here will be one of the most important things to ever happen to this franchise.

Saleh will have a Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton type run here.

Enjoy Jet fans.  We finally did it!!!

Tomlin never had a losing season so impossible.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

That was an alarming statement, basically saying if I get tired of playing, I’m out. Say want you want about Wilson but  he has heart and loves the game.

His pops also said he is not a win a superbowl at all costs type of player.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Maybe some insight to what he’s been saying all year about knowing what this team needs. The 2020 draft seemed to take guys regardless of their commitment. 

it feels like the tide is starting to shift a bit. Other than the Zach brain fart, this team has looked prepared and well coached the last few weeks. Seems to be playing more intensely too.

Your account get hacked?