“Senior year gym class in June is more intense than this OTA.” The latest dispatch from Connor Hughes

Just now, derp said:

Jets have had a ton of injuries over the last few years, I don't know what the solution to that problem is but something certainly needed to change. Hope it helps, if not they'll try something new next offseason. I had kind of expected a new training staff but for some reason they stood pat.

I don't think training staff changes do anything. Players ligaments snap randomly. The Rams were a model for a well run training facility and then Akers tore his Achilles, Woods tore his ACL and Odell tore his ACL in the SB. 

And many of the missed games the last 2 years were precautionary for a team that was never in playoff contention. Why make Elijah Moore play through a tweaked quad when you are 2-12? So the missed games piled up for the Jets at a clip greater than league average. I don't think it was a product of a poor training staff. 

• Upvote 1

If anyone is interested in the team and not flaccid trolling attempts and impotent smear campaigns, Saleh’s press conference is on the 1st page 

It’s all above the neck stuff. Connor isn’t there for that this thread is invalid 

• Upvote 2

Wait Hughes is the guy that thought the jets were going on the record before the draft with him right? Actual factual information about how they judge the prospects right? Then he posted how the jets fooled him right?

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think training staff changes do anything. Players ligaments snap randomly. The Rams were a model for a well run training facility and then Akers tore his Achilles, Woods tore his ACL and Odell tore his ACL in the SB. 

And many of the missed games the last 2 years were precautionary for a team that was never in playoff contention. Why make Elijah Moore play through a tweaked quad when you are 2-12? So the missed games piled up for the Jets at a clip greater than league average. I don't think it was a product of a poor training staff. 

There is always a degree of randomness to injuries, that is true.

That said, by the time you're 2-12 there are only three games to miss. Plenty of stuff happened before that - Moore was hurt early in the year too, Mosley was hurt early in the year, Jarrad Davis didn't start the year healthy, obviously Lawson's injury, Corey Davis out for the year about midway through, Becton of course - and right or wrong he doesn't trust the coaching staff at all, Maye pretty early on in the year which was really brutal for him financially, Carter missed time, Mims has been a mess medically, even a guy like Sherwood tore his Achilles, I don't remember the last full year they got from a starting quarterback. I'm sure I'm missing things too.

We're used to this kind of stuff but I think the normal meter is broken as Jets fans. The volume of injuries, and serious ones the last couple years has been unusual in my opinion. There's some randomness, there's some protecting guys, but plenty of those injuries don't fall into the protecting guys category. Could all be random, but I think something more is off. Absolutely possible I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Would it work with you? If you were a professional athlete?

Would it work to possibly keep me more healthy throughout a 20 game football season - I don’t have a fukin clue! But if it does help the Jets other teams will follow. Trend setter new ideas - sometimes they work. 

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, derp said:

There is always a degree of randomness to injuries, that is true.

That said, by the time you're 2-12 there are only three games to miss. Plenty of stuff happened before that - Moore was hurt early in the year too, Mosley was hurt early in the year, Jarrad Davis didn't start the year healthy, obviously Lawson's injury, Corey Davis out for the year about midway through, Becton of course - and right or wrong he doesn't trust the coaching staff at all, Maye pretty early on in the year which was really brutal for him financially, Carter missed time, Mims has been a mess medically, even a guy like Sherwood tore his Achilles, I don't remember the last full year they got from a starting quarterback. I'm sure I'm missing things too.

We're used to this kind of stuff but I think the normal meter is broken as Jets fans. The volume of injuries, and serious ones the last couple years has been unusual in my opinion. There's some randomness, there's some protecting guys, but plenty of those injuries don't fall into the protecting guys category. Could all be random, but I think something more is off. Absolutely possible I'm wrong.

There are some pretty obvious situations where it was clear that the Jets medical staff historically has let players do dumb stuff. Some vivid examples for me were when Becton re-entered a game in his rookie season and subsequently reinjured himself when we were short on tackles. Darnold getting thrown into the ground with an injured shoulder and him reentering the game again when they obviously shot him up with something to mask the pain. CJ mosely coming back and reinjuring his groin a couple years ago. Gase in particular it feels like he heavily encouraged players to play through actual injury and his track record kind of bore that out.

This past couple years though with new staffing, it still feels like we're having a rash of achilles injuries in particular, which sucks hard. I wonder how much of it is down to conditioning or recovery because the sheer volume is not really an anomaly that the team keeps having the highest percentage of cap on IR each year.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jimmy Fallon Agree GIF

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Meanwhile, the Joe Judge lead offense in New England is busy running laps, climbing rope and playing outdoor dodgeball on asphalt. 

#instenseOTAs  #june  #voluntaryNOTvoluntary

Good olé joe judge. Wonder how Mac jones will do with tennis balls taped to his hands.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Meanwhile, the Joe Judge lead offense in New England is busy running laps, climbing rope and playing outdoor dodgeball on asphalt. 

#instenseOTAs  #june  #voluntaryNOTvoluntary

Good olé joe judge. Wonder how Mac jones will do with tennis balls taped to his hands.

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I think this idea comes as a response to Saleh thinking maybe he overdid it last year and that a tougher work schedule may have contributed to all of the injuries the team suffered through in Saleh's rookie coaching campaign in 2021.

He should have pulled the plug on Lawson v Becton. Lawson was just destroying him snap after snap. 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Players bodies are not made to withstand the constant speed , change of direction and the relative massive muscle development over the long run. Ligaments and tendons have limited capacity to acclimate to the stress,  wear and tear that the modern football player exerts on its body. 

• Upvote 1

I listened to it. Among his Jet's take is the age-old Leonard Williams-like familiar themes, "when will Quinnen play like a third overall pick in the draft not just a very good football player?" News at ten...

He talks about his girlfriend's great cooking, how he hates the phrase "iron sharpening iron", about his genuine joy of being recognized by Jets fans everywhere and what it was first like when he started in the business.  He loudly refuses  to share his opinion on Mekhi Becton absence from mini camp, not wishing to draw the ire of Jets fans.

It's riveting real life insights, for those that love the Connor.