Flacco outplaying Wilson?

Facts

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whether you're bullish or bearish on Wilson's chances of making it in this league, every Jets fan ought to be on board with Wilson getting every start this season.  He's just too important of an asset, like it or not, to sit in favor of Joe friggin Flacco.  

Yup. Everyone knows my thoughts and even I want him to get every meaningful snap this season. If he succeeds, awesome. If he fails, that sucks. But even worse is if he gets hurt and misses significant time before we know what he is. Hello purgatory my old friend.

If he gets benched it will be because he’s so abysmal that the Jets have decided he isn’t the guy. Hope that doesn’t happen, either.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Facts said:

One quote that happened before yesterday's stellar practice from Wilson

One from New England Patriots insider

One that has the head coach stating that a Super Bowl MVP QB is a starting QB in the NFL

And one that states that the starting offense stalled on one drive and that the backups scored against the backup defense

Holy **** thats gross

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whether you're bullish or bearish on Wilson's chances of making it in this league, every Jets fan ought to be on board with Wilson getting every start this season.  He's just too important of an asset, like it or not, to sit in favor of Joe friggin Flacco.  

He kind of has to… But if Flacco is demonstrably better I’d rather watch him play. I want competitive football. I’m sick of watching young QBs suck.

It’s also funny to me how many in this thread are acting like Flacco outplaying Wilson is crazy and hard to believe. Flacco was clearly the better QB last year as was Mike White.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Yup. Everyone knows my thoughts and even I want him to get every meaningful snap this season. If he succeeds, awesome. If he fails, that sucks. But even worse is if he gets hurt and misses significant time before we know what he is. Hello purgatory my old friend.

If he gets benched it will be because he’s so abysmal that the Jets have decided he isn’t the guy. Hope that doesn’t happen, either.

No, but that would probably be something like the 2nd or 3rd best outcome of the season.  If Wilson is NOT the guy, it would be best to know that as soon as possible, one way or the other.  Wilson balling out is the best option.  Him failing miserably is a lot better than him having a "meh" 2nd season where the front office wants to drag things out.

By the end of year 3 we either need to be talking contract extension OR replacement, and nothing in between.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He kind of has to… But if Flacco is demonstrably better I’d rather watch him play. I want competitive football. I’m sick of watching young QBs suck.

It’s also funny to me how many in this thread are acting like Flacco outplaying Wilson is crazy and hard to believe. Flacco was clearly the better QB last year as was Mike White.

Only if Wilson is clearly not "the guy" should Flacco be named the starter.  And if Wilson is not "the guy" I would of course much rather see Mike White than Flacco anyways.  

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What was significant? A future 6th round draft pick, in a draft the team was already loaded with upper-round picks in both rounds 1 & 2? It was worth like 7 points, compared to the nearly 4000 other points the team still had. If that’s significant, then what insignificant look like?

The flip side is Philadelphia ate the extra $ ($2.8MM of the $3.5MM) that Douglas wouldn’t give up for Flacco. 

Too much was made of the pick given up for him. The far bigger crime was not having a veteran (Flacco or another) on the roster in the first place - let alone after a summer of having no QBC (tragic as that reason was) - which led to putting Wilson out there well before he was ready. At the time of the trade, Wilson was really struggling; then he got injured; White hadn’t started a game since college (Bengals game was a few days away when the trade was made); they were a White injury from starting their practice squad QB since they had no actual QB3; and frankly there were other players to evaluate & it wasn’t crazy to think this young team needed a little veteran leadership on the field. In the end, he barely played (1 start).

Given the other trades Douglas has pulled off, I think it’s fair to let this one go. Even if not — a future 6th round pick, at the bottom of a loaded pile of picks, still isn’t a significant asset.

#fightme

I was clearly joking Sperm.  Jeeeezus.  

4 hours ago, neckdemon said:

call me when flacco is playing against the first string defense and consistently outperforming wilson while doing so...

Call me when Zach is throwing to the second string Offensive playmakers and outperforming Flacco.  

It's none QB contact practice. Flacco is done as an NFL starter.  Zach is starting if he can't hit the side of a barn in practice.  If Flacco gets a whiff at starting with out a major injury this board will go crazy.  Anyone who remotely wants Flacco to play is out of their minds or Pats fans. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Last time he started an entire 16 game season, he went 9-7.

He can still play, as we saw last year. He should have been the week 1-8 starter last year, at a minimum. Huge bungle job by the FO/coaching staff.

Lol at this nonsense. Playing better in those games would have hurt this franchise more than it helped. And if you don't understand why I can't help you. 

• Upvote 1

The idea is clearly out there.

Today in the DC Sports Media market, the Sports Junkies had a NY Post beat writer on, ostensibly discussing the Giants (this is Commanders territory, after all).

But after that, the Junks asked about the Jets, and directly cited this claim, that "Flacco has been out-playing Wilson".

The beat writer (whose name I didn't get, sorry) dismissed the idea near completely, saying in effect (paraphrasing here) that "Flacco is playing against #2 and guys who won't be playing or active come the regular season, so it's not an apples to apples comparison at all.  I'd expect a veteran whose won super bowls to look good playing against future camp cuts", or something very similar.

I agree with the beat writer.  Zach is getting all or nearly all the work with the #1's.  Flacco looking ok vs. #2's may excite some of the more virulent anti-White folks on the board, but it does not represent a threat to Wilson as the #1 QB.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Today in the DC Sports Media market, the Sports Junkies had a NY Post beat writer on, ostensibly discussing the Giants (this is Commanders territory, after all).

But after that, the Junks asked about the Jets, and directly cited this claim, that "Flacco has been out-playing Wilson".

The beat writer (whose name I didn't get, sorry) dismissed the idea near completely, saying in effect (paraphrasing here) that "Flacco is playing against #2 and guys who won't be playing or active come the regular season, so it's not an apples to apples comparison at all.  I'd expect a veteran whose won super bowls to look good playing against future camp cuts", or something very similar.

I agree with the beat writer.  Zach is getting all or nearly all the work with the #1's.  Flacco looking ok vs. #2's may excite some of the more virulent anti-White folks on the board, but it does not represent a threat to Wilson as the #1 QB.

Flacco is doing everything he can to show by example how a superbowl MVP does it to both both Zach and Mike White. Just the type of pro’s pros he is. He’s not outplaying them one purpose, just who he is. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Flacco is doing everything he can to show by example how a superbowl MVP does it to both both Zach and Mike White. Just the type of pro’s pros he is. He’s not outplaying them one purpose, just who he is. 

Is there a credible report that specifically says Flacco is outplaying either Wilson or White? 

One of these tweets is from some random Twitter account that claims to be a patriots insider but looks to be a high school kid with less followers than me. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Is there a credible report that specifically says Flacco is outplaying either Wilson or White? 

One of these tweets is from some random Twitter account that claims to be a patriots insider but looks to be a high school kid with less followers than me. 

Probably not, but it fits my narrative pretty nicely. 

• Haha 1

"Several reports..."

I have not seen a single report by any of the beat writers who are present at camp every day suggesting that Flacco is outplaying Wilson as a whole.

My feeling is that this entire fiasco is due to a handful of tweets about a single occurrence in camp a few days ago when Wilson had 2 three and out drives with the #1 team and Flacco drove the field with the #2 team.  In short, it's based on a meaningless sample size of about 30 minutes and a very flimsy claim meant to generate buzz and clicks.  Mission accomplished.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

It’s a bogus twitter account. 
Fitting that the narrative comes on the heels of 2 straight good practices and a 8-8 passing day

• Upvote 1