Merged Becton Injury Thread

14 hours ago, freestater said:

Watching Todd Bowles win his division and run deep into the playoffs is gonna be fire. 

Was just watching the Aaron Rodgers/Pardon My Take interview. They asked him about best defensive coaches he’s gone against. He instantly said Todd Bowles. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

JDs entire 2020 draft is a bust. Defend it all you want.  Becton was a reach based on a lot of experts.  

I would have argued with you not too long ago about this. I won't anymore. JD's 2020 draft is Maccagnanesque. Not a single draft pick is a starter. The more you look at the draft, the worse it gets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/04/building-becton-how-louisville-turned-mekhi-becton-into-one-of-the-countrys-best-linemen-in-just-one-year/

interwsting look back into his routine at Louisville. They amount of maintenance that was going to be required for him to make it in the league was never going to be possible. This pick is on Douglas. Too many flags.

I guess JD didn't have time to read this or do his due diligence because if he did he took a huge gamble with the Jets future. He had a six year deal and felt like going for the home run and passing on the 'almost' sure thing in Wirfs. Instead he struck out like Joey Gallow.

When management makes decisions that set the team back YEARS they need to be held accountable and not given another chance to eff things up in the next draft.

• Upvote 2

I'm not in the "we should have drafted an OT with the #4 pick camp," but I was saying get an OT in the 2nd round b/c you can't rely on Becton, and even Fant has knee issues and will likely miss at least a couple of games.  At least Mitchell was taken in the 4th round...maybe he can step up?

What do do?  I hope they don't juggle the rest of the OL around...leave everyone where they are.  Sign and/or trade for TWO decent OTs.  The Jets need a decent starter at RT and a solid swing tackle.  Teven Jenkins would be a risky upside get....even if he could be gotten reasonably, is he even starter material at this time?  Brown is a good LT, but Fant is there, so who moves to the right side?  

2 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I'm not in the "we should have drafted an OT with the #4 pick camp," but I was saying get an OT in the 2nd round b/c you can't rely on Becton, and even Fant has knee issues and will likely miss at least a couple of games.  At least Mitchell was taken in the 4th round...maybe he can step up?

What do do?  I hope they don't juggle the rest of the OL around...leave everyone where they are.  Sign and/or trade for TWO decent OTs.  The Jets need a decent starter at RT and a solid swing tackle.  Teven Jenkins would be a risky upside get....even if he could be gotten reasonably, is he even starter material at this time?  Brown is a good LT, but Fant is there, so who moves to the right side?  

I this same conversation in this thread, so curious on your take? :)

There were no OTs taken in the 2nd round. For those taken in rounds 3 and 4, they all pretty much graded the same (close to 6.2, 'will eventually be a starter') as per the NFL website.

Would you have:

• Taken a 3rd / 4th rounder in the 2nd round?
  • Taken one in the 3rd, when equivalent talent can be had in the 4th?
  • Taken one in the 4th?
  • Traded a 2nd round pick?

I think people are getting hung up on the round in which someone is taken here, but really curious on your thoughts. Max appears to be graded as well as anyone taken in the 3rd other than Raimann I believe.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Players that go on IR are just resting until 2023. See you soon Mekhi! 

Every decision that the Jets has made since Joe Douglas has arrived been flawless. The decision to draft Becton was well intentioned and we all know that the road to the super bowl is paved with good intentions.

The Jets are an amazingly well run organization, everyone says so. Like how they lowballed natural right tackle Riley Reiff? Chef's kiss 

Drafting a premium cornerback helps Zach and breece hall by getting them the ball back more. It's simple football logic. 

Duh, silly. 

I don't understand why people are so sad about this injury. Becton will report at 330 next year and resume his hall of fame career. 

Chuma Edoga is going to be a 20 year starter once George Fant retires 

They are the best team in the AFC and handsome too. 

P.V.O. 

Dude.  My friend.  Come on.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Like I get the whole dehumanizing part of social media and totally agree, it’s terrible. I will never go and write some hateful comment on his social media. 

but he kept fighting to come back? I sure hope so, it’s his ****ing job that made him a millionaire to play like 3/4 of one season. He SHOULD HAVE BEEN working hard.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Hopefully you don't get to pick in the top 5 of the first round but when you do and you need the second most important position - LT - and when one falls to you - you grab him.

JD knew LT was needed and was a very important position. He picked Becton with his first pick, which turned out to be a mistake - OK - it happens. But don't make it worse by ignoring your mistake and passing on a legit FLT prospect. 

I mean, by all accounts an LT didn't fall to us.  A RT or G did.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is even worse.

This puts it on the Jets medical staff.

The doctors should have been screaming at the top of their lungs that this kid could not be trusted to hold up physically.

If there’s a bright side to all this, it’s that it happened early so at least the front office has a few options left.

I would move AVT to RT and look for a replacement level RG.

Not smart enough to understand how you chip a kneecap without contact. And how hard that is for a standard preseason medical exam to reveal such an inury. Which leads to the question whether he was playing with this injury until yesterday. Either way the NFL is not going to let the jets put him on the PUP and save the cap space, which really hurts. 

45 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Was just watching the Aaron Rodgers/Pardon My Take interview. They asked him about best defensive coaches he’s gone against. He instantly said Todd Bowles. 

He's won 1 Super Bowl, and shat the bed rather often in the playoffs otherwise. Ask anyone who has had him on their fantasy team. For all his talent, Rodgers has come up very short in the accomplishments column. 

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

ekwonu is right now a guard who is struggling with pass protection in camp and is behind brady christiansen on the depth chart at LT

We watched 100s of hours of ZW tape.  We should have drafted Brady Christensen....with a pick we sent to MN to draft AVT....

4 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

JD needs to pick up the phone & get Tackles in the building. I think Daryl Williams is the most logical choice at this point since he played RT.

I think Daryl Williams, Brandon Shell, Jason Peters could all be viable guys. None of them are what I'd want to have as a full season starter. Williams is probably the most athletic at this point, but he's never played in this blocking scheme and got moved into guard because his speed was diminishing. 

I think the best bet is to sign one of these guys, but give Mitchell a lot of reps and hope he is serviceable as the could continue to improve where any of these older guys are likely to get worse as a long, grueling season goes on. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

He's won 1 Super Bowl, and shat the bed rather often in the playoffs otherwise. Ask anyone who has had him on their fantasy team. For all his talent, Rodgers has come up very short in the accomplishments column. 

He’s not wrong tho   Bowles made mahomie look silly too 

9 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I this same conversation in this thread, so curious on your take? :)

There were no OTs taken in the 2nd round. For those taken in rounds 3 and 4, they all pretty much graded the same (close to 6.2, 'will eventually be a starter') as per the NFL website.

Would you have:

• Taken a 3rd / 4th rounder in the 2nd round?
  • Taken one in the 3rd, when equivalent talent can be had in the 4th?
  • Taken one in the 4th?
  • Traded a 2nd round pick?

I think people are getting hung up on the round in which someone is taken here, but really curious on your thoughts. Max appears to be graded as well as anyone taken in the 3rd other than Raimann I believe.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with most of the assumptions behind your questions.

First, an OT was taken with the 57th pick, Luke Goedeke, and then three guys early in the 3rd who fell a bit (69 Petit-Frere, 72 Lucas, and 77 Raimann).  There was a pretty big dropoff in talent after that, depending upon which site you look at, but especially when you look at what actually happened.  

No more OT went in the 3rd round after 77.  The next taken was Faalele at 110, some 34 picks later.  That's a huge dropoff in guys actually taken.

Of course, you never know, but the earlier you get an OT (rounds 1-2 are your best bet), the better the chance to get someone good. That's not so true of OG, you can get real good ones later at a decent rate. Maybe Mitchell will turn out to be better than those earlier guys?

JD traded the #69 pick earlier to move up for Jermaine Johnson, so he could have had his pick of those guys who went early 3rd.  Once he did that, he would have had to trade back up to the early 3rd. C'est la vie!

54 minutes ago, PS17 said:

We had him for 5 years.  The Jets were not good.  He elevated himself to the HC office and delegated DC to Kacy.   The few times Bowles coached the defense himself it looked great, but then Kacy came back and Bowles gave it back.  If he does the same thing in TB he will fail again.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dude.  My friend.  Come on.

about a month ago you asked me why am I a Jets fan

and truly, I was lost at sea when we had that talk

I had to like really think about it

then i heard the words, the words that saved me 

Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation 

P.V.O it's not a suggestion it's a mandate

Becton gets hurt again, the team secretly got better. It's part of his journey.

That's the only rational explanation. Once and for all 

• Haha 3

Nfl.com

Jets tackle Mekhi Becton's season is likely over after the tackle suffered a kneecap fracture, coach Robert Saleh told reporters Tuesday.

The offensive lineman sustained an avulsion fracture of his right kneecap during Monday's session, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported, and Becton will see a surgeon Wednesday. Saleh confirmed as much, telling reporters Becton would seek a second opinion.

The 11th-overall pick of the 2020 draft, Becton has frequently run into bad injury luck in his still-young professional career. The tackle battled through a chest injury in his rookie season, then suffered a knee injury in Week 1 of the 2021 season that sent him to injured reserve and ended his campaign after just 48 regular-season snaps.

Becton arrived in New York as a highly touted tackle with a rare blend of incredible size and agility. His highlight tape from Louisville was filled with pancakes and examples of the 360-pound, fleet-footed blocker barreling downfield with remarkable swiftness, and his 5.1-second 40-yard dash at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine left onlookers slack-jawed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He'll have started and finished 8 games out of 50.  

He lacks internal drive and is immature.  

Mekhi Becton's career trajectory is in the tank.  He is signed through 2023, we'll see him again but I'd say the odds are 90% that he is done as a Jet beyond that.  Super sad - one of the Jets players I've been most excited about in the past 10 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Nfl.com

Jets tackle Mekhi Becton's season is likely over after the tackle suffered a kneecap fracture, coach Robert Saleh told reporters Tuesday.

The offensive lineman sustained an avulsion fracture of his right kneecap during Monday's session, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported, and Becton will see a surgeon Wednesday. Saleh confirmed as much, telling reporters Becton would seek a second opinion.

The 11th-overall pick of the 2020 draft, Becton has frequently run into bad injury luck in his still-young professional career. The tackle battled through a chest injury in his rookie season, then suffered a knee injury in Week 1 of the 2021 season that sent him to injured reserve and ended his campaign after just 48 regular-season snaps.

Becton arrived in New York as a highly touted tackle with a rare blend of incredible size and agility. His highlight tape from Louisville was filled with pancakes and examples of the 360-pound, fleet-footed blocker barreling downfield with remarkable swiftness, and his 5.1-second 40-yard dash at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine left onlookers slack-jawed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mekhi Becton's career trajectory is in the tank.  He is signed through 2023, we'll see him again but I'd say the odds are 90% that he is done as a Jet beyond that.  Super sad - one of the Jets players I've been most excited about in the past 10 years.

Just saw this scrolled on NFL Network.  Thanks for the more complete information, DH.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Nfl.com

His appearance and performance at the Combine was impressive, as was much of his rookie year when he played.  He looked like a real NFL player. 

After year 1, it all seemed to fall apart, and he looked and played like a mess.  

If I am JD I am signing 3 veteran Ts and putting Mitchell on IR while he trains his body and mind.  Let's just move on from Edoga and McDermott.    Figure out during the season what 2 Ts he is signing for 2023, plus Mitchell, plus a high draft pick.  The Franchise Tag is available for one of them and could be used.  

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Because the Jets needed a lot of other things too.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you need your Tackles to be first round picks.  Duane Brown will be fine and give the Jets plenty of time to figure out what to do next year.

Your LT doesn't have to be a high 1st round pick but LT is acknowledged as the 2nd most important position when building a team.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

They let him know many times in the interview (“Big Cat” is a die hard Bears fan). Was very amusing. 

Can they just trade some capital for Dillard... They play this weekend... or

Ja'wuan James... he might even get cut...

or McGary he is at odds with the terrible Falcons after they didn't pick up his 5th year and they aren't going anywhere... They are fighting for #1 pick.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

It'll be one of two things for him now.  He either truly commits to dropping serious weight, getting in top shape and come back next season around 330-340 (which is plenty if done right) or he's out of the NFL.  It sucks for him now but there is still a chance. Jets obviously can't plan around him for next season. It's a bonus if he commits but they still can't view him other than potential depth.

He didn't take losing weight and getting in great shape seriously.   That can't be disputed.  He came into TC weighing 395+  Yes, he finally started to take it serious for the 6 weeks leading up to TC but 6 weeks isn't enough for someone his size to accomplish all that was needed.   

I agree.  From the Jets perspective, only option right now is IR.  No way you pick up his 5th year option.  He will have no value in trade next offseason after missing two years.  And there is nothing to be gained by cutting him -- no cap savings since his contract is guaranteed.  Assume he will be depth next season, make sure we have another guy on the roster penciled in to be the starter.  Maybe its a young guy currently on the roster that will be ready next season.  Maybe a vet free agent.  Maybe a draft pick.  Or some combination of those 3.  Add Becton to the mix if healthy.  But we have to make sure we have other more reliable options next year.

As for this season, I would love to see either Edoga or Mitchell step up and prove they can be a long term competent starter in this league.   But I would still feel better if we can seal the deal with Duane Brown over the next day or two.  Don't count on Edoga/Mitchell/McDermott, but if one of them can step up if given the chance, that would be ideal.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Your LT doesn't have to be a high 1st round pick but LT is acknowledged as the 2nd most important position when building a team.

And CB is 3rd... so what is your point... they had a chance to draft the best CB or a fringe LT that may only be a guard in the NFL... come on... move on.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Going OL three years in a row would’ve been a stupid use of first round picks. Yes, they shoulda coulda done more at OT, but the #4 pick was not the asset to use there. Sauce will wind up being more of a difference maker. I think back to Rex’s runs. Brick and Revis were major components of that team but if I had to replace one of them with just a competent starter, it would easily be Brick. And it’s not like Ekwonu is tearing it up with the Panthers, either. They still have him running with their second team. 

If you get it wrong 10 times in a row it doesn't mean you should stop trying. Passing on a FLT when one is available is not the way I want my GM to build the team. JD needed to admit he was wrong with Becton and move on - but he drafted a CB and passed on Ickey.

If your team is in a draft position to select a LFT, after the FQB is in place, you take him.

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

about a month ago you asked me why am I a Jets fan

and truly, I was lost at sea when we had that talk

I had to like really think about it

then i heard the words, the words that saved me 

Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation 

P.V.O it's not a suggestion it's a mandate

Becton gets hurt again, the team secretly got better. It's part of his journey.

That's the only rational explanation. Once and for all 

I'm worried about you old friend.  Honestly.  This isn't healthy.

Rise or fall, sink or swim, be yourself.  Always be yourself.