Flacco starting against Ravens; Wilson out until week 4: MERGED

Rhg1084

29 minutes ago, yvj said:

When you have dudes enraged at you in a thread and you're not even quoting their posts or addressing them specifically you should get the title of thread puppet master. Joe W Namath has some of these guys dancing on strings and he probably hasn't checked the thread since he posted. 

Theres a difference between "not checking" a thread, and actively avoiding it because you're so amazingly wrong that you're embarrassed. 

Derp.20220907_152621.thumb.jpg.d461226102bffbb30d278b779a06c781.jpg

• Haha 1

I just wanted to chime in my support for starting Mike White for the four game stretch.  I realize the Jets are too chicken.   I argue we should do this for four reasons.   

First, I think it gives us a better chance to win the majority of those games.  White adds a powerful screen and play action element to the Jets offense that Flacco does not.  Flacco must hit downfield passes early or we will get whupped.  He is a statute back there.  Mike White eats clock and moves the chains. 

Second, it will allow us to find out whether or not White is a viable long term backup.  We do need to find this out.  If White comes off the bench later this year and does it again we will lose him.  And I WARN the board, White showed signs of that magic in the preseason.  I watched those games a second time.  It was not just the Strev (I loved it too, but it was the chaos play not the NFL).   We need to find out and now if the time.  He has such a clean game.   

Third, it will permit our #1 - who is injured - to watch so he can learn:

A.   How to handle a football in the backfield - exactly the same every single time.  With Zach, every snap is different.  He has no polish. 

B.   That the secret to White's screen game lies in his footwork.    Zach has the worst screen pass footwork I have ever seen.

C.   The play action fake is not something that is called by the coaching staff.  It is the weapon that is available at all times to QBs who handle the ball properly and use proper footwork (see A & B above).  You cannot fool them any other way.  There is a how.

D.   That you must set your feet in the pocket before you throw.  There is a reason the pitching rubber in baseball is sideways.  It is how you set your foot.  He has got to clean up the footwork.

Fourth, IT WILL BE FUN.  A ROLLICKING RIDE WITH AN UNCERTAIN DESTINATION.  I feel like Flacco will lead us to a dignified 0-4 record.  White scares people.  White inspires people.  Instead of the Dropkick Murphys we play a dark march.   

I am sour about it because this is just work and repetition.  Perspiration.  Effort.   Zack must master this sh*t and it is NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.    Geno and Sanchez came into the league with better skills.  Chad and Klecko should be our QB coaches.  Chad can teach and Joe can administer discipline. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For the record, I think he is a competent spot starter at this stage of his career who is absolutely capable of playing well in any given week, but he's a 37 year old who hasn't won a start since 2019 and has been unceremoniously dumped by his last two teams. It's not unreasonable to have some skepticism. 

Bart Starr won back to back Super Bowl MVPs once upon a time, should we try to trade for him? 

Bart Starr is 115.  Joe Cool is 37.

I'm in my 40s and attack the gym like it owes me money.  I do stints on the elliptical that would make your f'king head spin.

• Haha 4

Just now, Pac said:

I'm in my 40s and attack the gym like it owes me money.  I do stints on the elliptical that would make your f'king head spin.

My daily power walk is the stuff of legend.    Broke out my Polar heart rate monitor again, which does not let you cheat the workout.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah.

By every account - team, media and players is Zach looked very good in pre-season.  He was stacking together some really good practices.

It's just the Jets are an incompetent mess overall.  But they want Zach on the field.

Stacking practices… you mean like when Sam was dropping dimes a few years back?

The only times Sam or Zach looked good was on a practice field against our incompetent NYJ defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Pac said:

Right - my point was that the "Super Bowl MVP" thing is not relevant anymore. Two teams have given up on him since he won that award - in January of 2013. 

I do still think he can still function as a spot starter, but the idea that we should be enthused about watching Flacco play QB for this young team is very silly to me. 

I hope he does a 2015 Fitz or a 1998 Vinny. But I'm not counting on it. 

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

My daily power walk is the stuff of legend.    Broke out my Polar heart rate monitor again, which does not let you cheat the workout.

Back in the day if you tried to keep up with my Jazzercise routines you wound up in the ER.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right - my point was that the "Super Bowl MVP" thing is not relevant anymore. Two teams have given up on him since he won that award - in January of 2013. 

I do still think he can still function as a spot starter, but the idea that we should be enthused about watching Flacco play QB for this young team is very silly to me. 

I hope he does a 2015 Fitz or a 1998 Vinny. But I'm not counting on it. 

Or he does the other Vinny and gets hurt in the first quarter. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Back in the day if you tried to keep up with my Jazzercise routines you wound up in the ER.

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

RLLOL.  People still harken back to my squat thrust odyssey of '79   With ankle weights, mind you.

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Silver Gold Star Medal for my PX90 workouts. 

yea, well, I got like 200 points on Ring Fit Adventure on the Nintendo Switch one time. 

• Haha 3

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-jets-qb-zach-wilson-joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-19.39410

"On Monday, Saleh left open the possibility of starting Wilson, saying the second-year quarterback "looked good" in a side workout that day. In truth, Wilson never was a serious option. That was only gamesmanship. He's only 22 days removed from arthroscopic knee surgery and still hasn't practiced with the team."

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

The big lie about Zach wasn't about gamesmanship.  It was about ticket sales. 

And week 1 begins tomorrow.  They couldn't continue the big lie thru the final days of practice.   

I guess we should call the Becton debacle the 'Big' Lie and Zach's will need a different name.  

This regime is certainly making its mark. Unfortunately with respect to these situations it's more of a skid mark.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Hey , I'm right along with you ,over 50 years for me as well . But I can't let the negativity get to me, too many others things in life to stress and worry about , doesn't mean it still won't aggravate me at times. 

47 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Of course you're right.  I'm one of the idiots who has let the team get to me more times than I can remember.  I always want to see some level of light at the end of this massive Jet tunnel.  But then you get a 2x4 across the nose like the news today.

BTW, Lance and Mickey Shuler are right at the top of my favorite Jet players.   Great username choice.

I’m another of the 50+ year guys, and I’m as angry today as I can remember being with this team.

I can’t believe it’s come to this after all these years, but I’ve had enough of this s**t show. I’m not going out of my way to watch a minute of Jets football this year. I live in SC, and it’s not worth my time and effort. 
I’ll get my Jet fix here every week, but today clinched it for me… I’m riding with my boy Mayfield and the Panthers this year. No stress, no aggravation. 
Wake me when JD, Saleh and Kapono are gone.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-jets-qb-zach-wilson-joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-19.39410

"On Monday, Saleh left open the possibility of starting Wilson, saying the second-year quarterback "looked good" in a side workout that day. In truth, Wilson never was a serious option. That was only gamesmanship. He's only 22 days removed from arthroscopic knee surgery and still hasn't practiced with the team."

Again 

Baltimore is not losing over on Joe Flacco or Zach Wilson.

I see this differently.

I'm not glad Wilson's hurt.

But from a team POV:

I'm not disappointed Zach won't be back until week 4.

I'm disappointed he will be back week 4.

I mean Saleh just said that no matter what, Wilson is going to be the starter when healthy.

That means it doesn't matter if Flacco / MFW go 3-0 and the offense looks tremendous.  They are just placeholders for the chosen one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I laughed out loud.

It actually does feel different, totally different, management and coaching both, and the players are buying in. Any issues with the QB feel heavier b/c of the importance of the position.

That's just it though. All these moves are moot until we find a solution at QB. You won't have much success in this league with out an at least average one.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Is it possible the fanbase is higher on the BYU product than the rest of the world?

Nope.

The coaching staff is high on him and the people that see him every day surely know he's better than Flacco.  Zach isn't sitting for any other reason than the injury.  

Whether he ultimately becomes successful is one thing - but as of right now he gives the Jets the best chance to win and the Jets organization wants him on the field.