Flacco starting against Ravens; Wilson out until week 4: MERGED

Rhg1084

4 weeks of Flacco would provide a good baseline for us fans. 

Most agree Flacco is a borderline starter at this point in his career.  He will play tough defenses to start the year.  

On Zach’s return, he has to clear the baseline.

Early last year we blamed everyone for Offenses woes until Zach was out, and it became clearer that QB play was a major contributor…

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Why woukd anyone utter this thought into the Universe??? Holy hell.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Have you not read other posts on this thread? Everyone is in scorched earth mode. I am actually okay with the situation and have no problem with Saleh having to adjust the time table.

I simply am saying if Flacco goes 0-2, I can see them trying Mike White out.

What's unreasonable about that? I'm actually trying to keep a cool head about the whole situation.

29 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The Jets could be 8-0 and you'd probably say they'll finish 3-14  it's what you do . 

Well yeah.  I'm a 58-year Jet fan.  It's what we've come to expect.  History, my friend.

And this year's team going 8-0?  Even Lance Mehl would probably slap you for writing such an absurd thought.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I get what you're saying but 8 weeks from a non-contact injury? That isn't a football player. That isn't  even a golfer. 

Eh, guys get ACL's, MCL's, broken ankles, pulled hamstrings etc..all the time from non-contact injuries.  And all the time for periods of longer than 8 weeks.

Listen, there's plenty to complain about Zach, but that point you're making isn't a good one.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Oh yeah… one more thing.

@Joe W. Namath You can take your “it’s happening” bulls**t and shove that up your you know what. Your boys JD and Saleh are frauds, and Wilson is a wuss.

Jesus.....Some of you need lifetime Xanax.  If this is causing this much strife in your life, I might suggest jogging.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’m going to do absolutely everything in my power this season to not dwell on anything other than how competitive the Jets are each individual week.  I’m done wringing my hands about what every damn thing might mean about the franchise 2 years from now.  

Kick some ass, Joe.  Same to you,Zach.

I’m kind of in the same boat. This roster is actually talented for once. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve only read half the first page. WTF happened with the BS Saleh was shoveling about Wilson looking good the last two days???

After I saw Connor’s tweet about Wilson being out 4 more weeks, I’m done with this QB, the HC and this effing GM. They all suck.

Screw Flacco also… wtf is he even doing on this roster? Start White or Strevelman (or whatever the hell his name is).

How many #1 picks is this fat piece of s*it Douglas going to get to screw up? 6 wins in two seasons, and now we’re going with the corpse of Joe Flacco after waiting 9 months for a football game.

Kiss my a** with the “rebuilding” crap. This team blows.

Lmao I don’t know if I should cry or laugh bro 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BigB said:

If Flacco lays an egg against the Ravens  then start Streveler following week at least he has some mobility and you never know might catch lightning in a bottle. He was the best QB we seen this year in preseason.

I'm starting to hate this CS.  I'd wager they will NEVER start Streveler, more's the pity.  

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

At the end of the day it’s Woodys decision. Zach’s family is a major sponsor, with that presumably comes some favors. No different than the college application process at big schools with donors etc.

Zach's family is not dictating the Jets decision making.  If you want to believe they are - and what's giving them the ability to do it because Zach's uncle was one of the founders of Jet Blue - there's nothing that's going to change your mind - but I will try anyway.

The Theory ...

Zach is healthy 100% healthy. But this is how it would go - starting with step 1....

1. Zach's mom goes to Zach's uncle and says, I know Zach is 100% but I don't want him to play in the opening 4 weeks of the NFL season - please go threaten the Jets to make sure he sits.
  2. Then Zach's uncle goes to Woody Johnson and says, my sister-in-law doesn't want Zach to play the first four weeks so please sit him or I'm going to go the the CEO of Jet Blue and have them pull their sponsorship
  3. Then Woody Johnson goes to Joe Douglas and says - I know ZW is 100% but you can't allow Zach Wilson to play the first 4 weeks because Zach Wilson's Mom asked his uncle to threaten me that if ZW plays he is going pull their sponsorship 
  4. then Joe Douglas goes to Robert Saleh and says you have to sit the 100% ready to go Zach Wilson because Zach's Mom, told Zach's uncle, who told me to tell you to sit Zach Wilson because he's going to pull the sponsorship.

Look, I can assure with 100% - yes 100% - the Jets didn't decide to sit Zach an extra 4 weeks because Zach Wilson's uncle told them to.  But if you believe this scenario is even a little bit possible - then I, honestly, say good for you.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh, guys get ACL's, MCL's, broken ankles, pulled hamstrings etc..all the time from non-contact injuries.  And all the time for periods of longer than 8 weeks.

Listen, there's plenty to complain about Zach, but that point you're making isn't a good one.

If he had any of those, I would see your point, but he doesn't. He had something that is supposed to be minor. The guy is injury prone. It's  official.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach's family is not dictating the Jets decision making.  If you want to believe they are - and what's giving them the ability to do it because Zach's uncle was one of the founders of Jet Blue - there's nothing that's going to change your mind - but I will try anyway.

The Theory ...

Zach is healthy 100% healthy. But this is how it would go - starting with step 1....

1. Zach's mom goes to Zach's uncle and says, I know Zach is 100% but I don't want him to play in the opening 4 weeks of the NFL season - please go threaten the Jets to make sure he sits.
  2. Then Zach's uncle goes to Woody Johnson and says, my sister-in-law doesn't want Zach to play the first four weeks so please sit him or I'm going to go the the CEO of Jet Blue and have them pull their sponsorship
  3. Then Woody Johnson goes to Joe Douglas and says - I know ZW is 100% but you can't allow Zach Wilson to play the first 4 weeks because Zach Wilson's Mom asked his uncle to threaten me that if ZW plays he is going pull their sponsorship 
  4. then Joe Douglas goes to Robert Saleh and says you have to sit the 100% ready to go Zach Wilson because Zach's Mom, told Zach's uncle, who told me to tell you to sit Zach Wilson because he's going to pull the sponsorship.

Look, I can assure with 100% - yes 100% - the Jets didn't decide to sit Zach an extra 4 weeks because Zach Wilson's uncle told them to.  

It’s business. Strings get pulled all the time. Wilson is not the typical player- his family has f-u money and is a major sponsor of the Jets. When communication from the team to the press and fans fails as badly as this did these things will surface and people will speculate. Saleh made it a point to say his mind needs to be right to play. Take that for what it’s worth. 

• Upvote 1

Let's face it after watching Becton hobbling around while running the OL drills and seeing him with both hands on his knees bent over with a "Why me" look of pain and despair on his face and then getting bowled over and once again...he's done-while the whole time no coaches, no trainers not even the Gatorade kid walked over to ask him if he was alright. Is anyone really surprised that the Jets continue to have these type of injuries happen to their supposed Franchise players?

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And the alternative is to spend another high pick on another rookie QB while hoping against all hope that he’ll finally be the one…

Sorry, I’ve had enough of that.

If Wilson doesn’t pan out then I want a guy who has proven he knows his ass from his elbow, can consistently get these young playmakers on offense involved and can have the Jets in consistent playoff contention.

You keep missing my point. What you want is easier said than done.  I'd love a QB who can guide the team to playoff contention on an annual basis (not a one or two year fix like Ryan), but those QBs are just not typically available.  What is typically available are failed QBs and old vets.  You  don't find a playoff caliber vet QB just because you want one.  

Wow, fun reading so far!  The conspiracies are a bit much though.

1. Most can agree this is a bad look for Saleh & the medical staff.  3x in a row WRONG about injuries to critical players, 2x on Becton and now Zach.  At the very least Saleh should keep his mouth shut until he has sufficient inputs.  That doesn't make him a bad coach, just really bad at PR.  To build back some credibility, he might want to offer some additional details on the why, otherwise unwanted conspiracies will just be a distraction, inside and outside the locker room. 

2.  For the Jets & Zach, not necessarily a bad thing ...

- Zach has more time to heal and learn from the sidelines.  Me personally, I want him to be 100% physically & mentally.

- Jets will ultimately have more inputs to evaluate Zach at the end of the year.  Let's assume for now 4 games with Flacco (incl Pitt) & 13 games to end the season with Zach.  If the team does significantly better with Flacco, then the Jets have a clearer understanding about the QB position, allowing them to make a better decision for 2023.

- The biggest winners will likely be the WRs, OL, Defense, and LaFleur.  Just like Elijah Moore last year, Garrett Wilson started coming on after Zach got injured.  Corey Davis has unquestionably been playing his best ball with Flacco.  The OL will have a QB who can get the ball out quicker and have a real opportunity to gel in front of an established veteran.  The D and LaFleur will be working with a QB very capable of a 60-65% completion percentage, able to move the chains and achieve a 2TD to 1INT ratio (especially with the type of weapons he's never had). 

Lastly, judge Flacco on the above and not his wins and losses.  Tom Brady wouldn't have won games with the 2020-2021 Jets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh made it a point to say his mind needs to be right to play.

I will say this statement was very concerning.  Saleh just seems lost - there's simply no upside to a statement like that.  

Even if he believes Zach's Mind isn't ready - you don't say that outlaid.  And if he doesn't believe that then it's even worse.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Theory ...

Look, I can assure with 100% - yes 100% - the Jets didn't decide to sit Zach an extra 4 weeks because Zach Wilson's uncle told them to.  But if you believe this scenario is even a little bit possible - then I, honestly, say good for you.

You did such a great job laying this out in order in which it would happen that you know have me believing it was possible - ok not really but excellent job.