Baker Mayfield, Why Not?

Maxman

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

The kid can play. Played hurt in Cleveland and they dumped him which meant his story there did not have a happy ending.

Carolina was a toxic environment and they dumped him.

Played well with the Rams.

If you don't land a top tier guy like Aaron Rodgers or David Carr, then Mayfield makes a ton of sense.

Am I right, or am I right?

I can't believe we are talking about carr as a top guy. 

I rather Mike white and some rook to ride the pine. Aaron. Rogers is the unicorn and obviously would be great for us to have. But even in that case I still like some rook to ride the pine and learn. Maybe that can be Zach. Idk 

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

The kid can play. Played hurt in Cleveland and they dumped him which meant his story there did not have a happy ending.

If you don't land a top tier guy like Aaron Rodgers or David Carr, then Mayfield makes a ton of sense.

Baker was almost out of the NFL until the Rams picked him up.  Based on the 4 games he's played there, this is your choice for our next QB1?  He had 2 good games and 2 bad ones.  And one of the 2 good games was against a Denver team that had completely checked out.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm

image.png.4a689b4da5618cefffc268b365d128d1.png

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tom Brady Sport GIF by UFC

Of all the options that don't require a trade, this is one that makes the most sense.  This is exactly the kind of guy we need.  He can teach a losing franchise how to win.  And if JD/Saleh really do have hope for ZW, I can't think of a better guy for him to learn from.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 4

Did you notice how differently the Rams have been using him? They’ve been using a lot of designed rollouts with him. Something we still haven’t done with ZW in two years. 

• Upvote 3

Going into the season with MW starting Baker Backing him up and Zach in the Practice squad play pen would be okay with me.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I see what you did there lol

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

I agree that if you don’t pull off a miracle trade for Rodgers or sign Carr or Brady then what are you really left with?

You go with Mayfield or Garoppolo + hope Wilson figures it out for 2024 or let the next regime draft the next QB.

The dark horse best move is to trade for Jordan Love.

Mayfield isn't my first choice, but I wouldn't hate it either.

Career completion percentage is over 60%, he has thrown over 100 TDs to 60 Ints, career passer rating in the mid 80s. Has never thrown more ints than TDs in a season.

If we miss out on the big guns, I wouldn't hate seeing a Baker Mayfield / Mike White competition in preseason next year, with Zach or a rookie around in the developmental spot.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

You had me at the word toxic. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Mayfield isn't my first choice, but I wouldn't hate it either.

Career completion percentage is over 60%, he has thrown over 100 TDs to 60 Ints, career passer rating in the mid 80s. Has never thrown more ints than TDs in a season.

If we miss out on the big guns, I wouldn't hate seeing a Baker Mayfield / Mike White competition in preseason next year, with Zach or a rookie around in the developmental spot.

I will never forget that draft where if Mayfield was not picked first by the Browns I know the Jets would have chosen him at 3.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Mayfield is an insufferable douchebag who is mediocre-at-best on the field.

Granted mediocre-at-best is still a pretty high bar for the Jets when it comes to the QB position, but doesn't do enough for anyone to tolerate his bullsh*t, which is why he's now on his third team this year.  It likely wouldn't take too long before he was getting booed off the field around here.  He's basically just Darnold's evil twin, so we could've kept the original one if we really wanted.

Granted the Jets are in desperate need of a veteran option at QB next year, but of all the names getting thrown around these days, Mayfield would be the second-to-last on the list for me, ahead of only Satan incarnate (aka Brady).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Dump. Ban.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Bong GIF by Justin

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I would accept that at the right price.