Jets wave Mann

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

The guy was a punter in the nfl for three seasons. How many wins did his punting cost? Probably next to zero. I’m not surprised he was cut after they signed morestad but he doesn’t deserve to be dissed so much.

He cost us at LEAST one game last year, two awful punts right down the middle with no hang time.

His gross and net avgs were always Gross, his only  claim to fame was he was a good tackler after making terrible punts.

No, he deserves the scorn he gets, however the ones who deserve more scorn are douglas and saleh and boyer for not tossing him at least a year earlier when our FG kicker was a better punter than him and then the injury replacement guy (who we just resigned ) was far better than him.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Beerfish said:

He cost us at LEAST one game last year, two awful punts right down the middle with no hang time.

His gross and net avgs were always Gross, his only  claim to fame was he was a good tackler after making terrible punts.

No, he deserves the scorn he gets, however the ones who deserve more scorn are douglas and saleh and boyer for not tossing him at least a year earlier when our FG kicker was a better punter than him and then the injury replacement guy (who we just resigned ) was far better than him.

I guess you didn’t like Mann much.

• Haha 3

I love how passionate people get about the specific locations of the deck chairs on the Titanic.....

There are many reasons we lost last year, and years previous.

It would take a while before "the Punter" would be a meaningful reason I would give.

Far more vital reasons before Mann.

• Upvote 2

Braden Mann Released After 3 Seasons of Handling Jets' Punting

Apr 13, 2023 at 04:14 PM

The Jets have released punter Braden Mann, completing a transition at that special teams position one week after they signed 15th-year P Thomas Morstead.

Mann had been the Jets' punter for the past three seasons. He was their sixth-round choice (No. 191 overall) in the 2020 NFL Draft out of Texas A&M and immediately took over the punting job, posting a gross average of 43.9 yards/punt and a net average of 37.2 in all 16 games as a rookie in 2020.

The next year, Mann had a solid year except for the knee injury he sustained on his first punt of the year in the season opener at Carolina, which cost him seven-plus games before his return. He still finished with career-high averages of 45.7 gross and 40.6 net and dropped 14 punts inside the opponents' 20 while hitting only one touchback. He also had a strong stretch handling kickoffs over the final nine games with 20 touchbacks on 22 kickoffs.

Mann's roller-coaster season last year produced a franchise-record 46.9 yards/punt (16th in the NFL), but his net averaged ticked down to 40.6 (24th). His eight touchbacks tied for fourth-most in the NFL, and opponents averaged 11.3 yards on his returnable punts, third-highest in the league.

Morstead spent his first 12 pro seasons with New Orleans, then split '21 between the Jets and Falcons and spent last year with the Dolphins. He returns to the Green & White after his impressive pinch-hitting stint during Mann's injury rehab in '21. On his 23 punts for the Jets, Morstead's gross average was 48.5, his net was 43.0, and he had seven inside-20s to no touchbacks.

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least one year too late, he legit cost us games last year. 

He's been terrible since almost day one, it boggled me that he had so many  defenders on here when it was clear as day he stunk,

4737361220ea17823368913a528a4f25.gif

One could say he cost us Trevor Lawrence...

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

While im fine with Morestadt , Mann was an average punter statistically.   I d love to have the best in the league at every position but thats not realistic.   Constant improvement is ok with me.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, I was hard on Mike Maccagnan over the years, and rightfully so.  Only fair that I'm hard on Joe Douglas when it comes to the 2020 class, for which we're not too far from closing the book:

2020 Draft Class in review

• LT Mekhi Becton (1.11):  13 impactful starts to date; can't stay healthy and came close to eating his way out of the league (not a problem for @The Crusher but certainly a problem for a pro athlete).  Might be in shape now, so...cool?  Status pending but so far a massive bust (literally and figuratively).  @Matt39
  • WR Denzel Mims (2.59):  42 catches, 0 TDs to date.  Current WR4 at best.  Jury may still technically be out but it's not looking good at all.  Thus far a bust.  Sadness.  @Paradis
  • S Ashtyn Davis (3.68):  Advertised as an athletic center fielder FS.  Ended up at SS and then relegated to backup duties (0 starts in 2022).  3 career INTs.  Somehow still on the team, much to the chagrin of @pointman, as Davis is the bane of his existence.  Bust.
  • EDGE Jabari Zuniga (3.79):  Fit the athletic profile to justify the selection, but most certainly a swing and a miss.  Spent 2022 with the Saints (1 game played).  1.0 career sacks.  Bust.
  • RB La'Mical Perine (4.120):   Argubaly the worst selection of the bunch, as his upside was effectively Bilal Powell.  Did drag LSU S Jamal Adams into the end zone once, @JiF@T0mShane, @Larz, @bitonti but only has scored 2 pro TDs and didn't appear in a game for the Chiefs in 2022.  Bust.
  • QB James Morgan (4.125):  Only @jetsrule128 can likely provide the long list of teams that have given Captain Morgan a shot.  I'm always down with taking QBs in the midrounds... @jgb ...... but wooh boy, I sure wish we'd grabbed a more useful one!  Bust.
  • OL Cameron Clark (4.129):  Hard to hate much on an attempt to bring in a pipeline type mid-late round OL, especially one who experienced as much terrible injury luck AFTER he was selected as Clark did.  But alas, the result is the result.  0 games played in the NFL and already out of the league.  Bust.
  • CB Bryce Hall (5.158):  Probably the best pick of the class, but still one that didn't end up panning out despite displaying some 1st/2nd round upside in his collegiate career.  1 career INT and 19 PDs to date.  5 games played (0 starts) in 2022.  Meh.
  • P Braden Mann (6.191):  If you're going to draft a Punter, in any round, you would hope he's at least league-average.  Mann was not.  The best things he did (like tackling and fake punt throws) had little to do with Punting.  Now off the team.  Bust.
  • Trade Notes:  Can't discuss a draft class without discussing the trades that were made in a given year, as @Sperm Edwards has pointed out before. 
    • Trading down where possible in a deep 2020 class was a smart move for a team with a lot of needs, and Douglas, clearly wanting to stick and pick at 13, did this twice, moving down from 48 and ending up with picks 59, 125, 129, and a 2021 6th rounder.  But doing so caused the Jets to miss out on a better WR like Van Jefferson (2.57 - 93 catches, 1,391 yards, 10 TDs)
    • Douglas also shipped pick 6.211 off for Colts CB Quincy Wilson, who only appeared in 3 games (1 start) for the 2020 Jets, did not play in 2021, and has been a Practice Squad-caliber player for the Steelers since.  Some useful talent was available at 6.211, including the player the Colts took at that spot, KR/PR/CB Isaiah Rodgers (27.0 yards per KR; 8.3 yards per PR).  Also available were WR Freddie Swain, S Kamren Curl, WR Jauan Jennings, S Geno Stone, DE James Smith-Williams, CB Dane Jackson, and LB Tae Crowder, all of which have been useful pieces in the league.

CC:  @Beerfish, @kevinc855, @Pac

#lifegoal

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm predicting Mike nugent syndrome 

He will have a decade long career in Houston 

Some guys just can't function as a human in the NYC area 

I mean, my wife is an Aggie, I watched every game of his, I thought JD solved the punting problem for 15 years.   Something got in his head, he was better in college than the NFL. 

You're probably right, he just couldn't do it in the NY area.

• Upvote 2

Well, I was hard on Mike Maccagnan over the years, and rightfully so.  Only fair that I'm hard on Joe Douglas when it comes to the 2020 class, for which we're not too far from closing the book:

• LT Mekhi Becton (1.11):  13 impactful starts to date; can't stay healthy and came close to eating his way out of the league (not a problem for @The Crusher but certainly a problem for a pro athlete).  Might be in shape now, so...cool?  Status pending but so far a massive bust (literally and figuratively).  @Matt39
  • WR Denzel Mims (2.59):  42 catches, 0 TDs to date.  Current WR4 at best.  Jury may still technically be out but it's not looking good at all.  Thus far a bust.  Sadness.  @Paradis
  • S Ashtyn Davis (3.68):  Advertised as an athletic center fielder FS.  Ended up at SS and then relegated to backup duties (0 starts in 2022).  3 career INTs.  Somehow still on the team, much to the chagrin of @pointman, as Davis is the bane of his existence.  Bust.
  • EDGE Jabari Zuniga (3.79):  Fit the athletic profile to justify the selection, but most certainly a swing and a miss.  Spent 2022 with the Saints (1 game played).  1.0 career sacks.  Bust.
  • RB La'Mical Perine (4.120):   Argubaly the worst selection of the bunch, as his upside was effectively Bilal Powell.  Did drag LSU S Jamal Adams into the end zone once, @JiF@T0mShane, @Larz, @bitonti but only has scored 2 pro TDs and didn't appear in a game for the Chiefs in 2022.  Bust.
  • QB James Morgan (4.125):  Only @jetsrule128 can likely provide the long list of teams that have given Captain Morgan a shot.  I'm always down with taking QBs in the midrounds... @jgb ...... but wooh boy, I sure wish we'd grabbed a more useful one!  Bust.
  • OL Cameron Clark (4.129):  Hard to hate much on an attempt to bring in a pipeline type mid-late round OL, especially one who experienced as much terrible injury luck AFTER he was selected as Clark did.  But alas, the result is the result.  0 games played in the NFL and already out of the league.  Bust.
  • CB Bryce Hall (5.158):  Probably the best pick of the class, but still one that didn't end up panning out despite displaying some 1st/2nd round upside in his collegiate career.  1 career INT and 19 PDs to date.  5 games played (0 starts) in 2022.  Meh.
  • P Braden Mann (6.191):  If you're going to draft a Punter, in any round, you would hope he's at least league-average.  Mann was not.  The best things he did (like tackling and fake punt throws) had little to do with Punting.  Now off the team.  Bust.
  • Trade Notes:  Can't discuss a draft class without discussing the trades that were made in a given year, as @Sperm Edwards has pointed out before. 
    • Trading down where possible in a deep 2020 class was a smart move for a team with a lot of needs, and Douglas, clearly wanting to stick and pick at 13, did this twice, moving down from 48 and ending up with picks 59, 125, 129, and a 2021 6th rounder.  But doing so caused the Jets to miss out on a better WR like Van Jefferson (2.57 - 93 catches, 1,391 yards, 10 TDs)
    • Douglas also shipped pick 6.211 off for Colts CB Quincy Wilson, who only appeared in 3 games (1 start) for the 2020 Jets, did not play in 2021, and has been a Practice Squad-caliber player for the Steelers since.  Some useful talent was available at 6.211, including the player the Colts took at that spot, KR/PR/CB Isaiah Rodgers (27.0 yards per KR; 8.3 yards per PR).  Also available were WR Freddie Swain, S Kamren Curl, WR Jauan Jennings, S Geno Stone, DE James Smith-Williams, CB Dane Jackson, and LB Tae Crowder, all of which have been useful pieces in the league.

Great recap. The only thing I think that would salvage this class from being a total disaster is Becton staying healthy and reaching a of the portion of the potential we glimpsed during his rookie year. I think it’s still possible although I realize the great skepticism on the board about it. 

• Upvote 3

In fairness to Douglas, that entire draft sucked after the first 20-ish picks. I know people point out that he should have drafted the safer guy in Wirfs (me, sup), but I also like to remind people that Adam Gase wanted CeeDee Lamb at that spot. If they take Lamb, they don’t end up taking Mims in round two, and maybe it’s a different draft altogether. 

• Upvote 4

The one time you tag me and it didn't end with me hating you.

• Haha 2