AVT - Achilles - Out for Season

JETS SB

22 minutes ago, slats said:

How many starting caliber tackles do you think there are in the NFL? The Jets were down to their 4th and 5th for a stretch there, and they held their own. Jets have a deeper OL than a majority of teams. The OL problem here the last couple years has primarily been injuries and a QB problem. 

The number of staring tackles in the nfl doesn’t matter JD is paid to make sure we have 2, we haven’t since he’s been here. Injuries is no excuse because there are players who don’t get injured believe it or not and again it’s the GMs job to be the one to identify these players.

On top of JD getting paid lovely to find this talent he was sold as this O Line “guru”. 

Our all-pro G should never be playing snaps at tackle only pinch situations, not consecutive starts….

well now he’s hurt, season ending playing at tackle both times and it’s on JD ultimately, complete failure 

• Upvote 2

Rodgers, Lawson, AVT, am I missing anyone?  When do the Jets start looking at the training staff and think, maybe they're doing something wrong here?  I still say that jumping spiking thing they were doing this summer looked like an achiles injury waiting to happen

• Post of the Week 3

3 minutes ago, jetswin said:

Rodgers, Lawson, AVT, am I missing anyone?  When do the Jets start looking at the training staff and think, maybe they're doing something wrong here?  I still say that jumping spiking thing they were doing this summer looked like an achiles injury waiting to happen

Seriously, I think when Woody hired Bobby Salad, he really thought that somehow by osmosis, it would metamorphis into the "Niners way of doing things". Alas, Bobby is an airhead gym rat. Looks great, talks a good game, but there's nothing really there.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im curious what you think JD should have done.

When he took over this roster it was the worst in the league, that requires years of work and 15+ hits in the draft and free agency.  Not only that, but these moves are cumulative - Becton gets hurt, so we have to pay duane brown, which prohibits us from investing in OT in free agency.  

On top of that the entire roster needs to be rebuilt so we need to use some draft picks on positions other then OL.  So he uses mid round picks on Max Mitchell and Carter Warren on top of paying Brown.  And yet hes STILL getting criticzed.  Was there an OT that you wanted to draft in the first round this year when we picked?

On top of drafting Mitchell and Warren, he picked Tippman who has been playing at an ELITE level.  So again - is that not enough? Should we ask the league to give us 20 picks in each draft?

I really dont get it - injuries happen, hopefully Mitchell will hold down RT.

So they had the NFLs worst roster and Adam gase and managed to win 7 games Joe's first year. 

And Joe's rebuilt roster and hand picked head coach still can't get more than 7 wins.

Meanwhile, bad teams around the league have turned around in half the time Joe has been here and made the playoffs.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

So they had the NFLs worst roster and Adam gase and managed to win 7 games Joe's first year. 

And Joe's rebuilt roster and hand picked head coach still can't get more than 7 wins.

Meanwhile, bad teams around the league have turned around in half the time Joe has been here and made the playoffs.

Don't forget that there's also an extra game on the schedule.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

The number of staring tackles in the nfl doesn’t matter JD is paid to make sure we have 2, we haven’t since he’s been here. Injuries is no excuse because there are players who don’t get injured believe it or not and again it’s the GMs job to be the one to identify these players.

On top of JD getting paid lovely to find this talent he was sold as this O Line “guru”. 

Our all-pro G should never be playing snaps at tackle only pinch situations, not consecutive starts….

well now he’s hurt, season ending playing at tackle both times and it’s on JD ultimately, complete failure 

All those other GMs are getting paid, too. AVT played left tackle in college and performed well enough to be a first round pick. I’m not happy with where the Jets are currently at, but they came into the season with a very deep OL. Deeper than most in the league. Turner/Mitchell need to step up now. They did okay yesterday. 

Again, you look around the league, there’s not a ton of OL talent out there. Feel free to complain about the individual results, but it’s hard to complain about JD’s focus on the OL. Plenty of (high) picks and free agent dollars spent. With all the bitching around here, it’s hard to argue that they haven’t been -at least- in the top half of the league so far. And yeah, it’s gonna be a bigger struggle now with two opening day starters out. Next man up. 

They’ve got to make their decision on his fifth year option after this season, right? For OL who didn’t meet any criteria it was $13.5M last year, assume it’d be a little more. Tough call. Realistic that when it comes up to whether it’s worth exercising a fifth year option Douglas ends up 0 for his first three first round picks.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

What I find funny is that they went into the season with two injured/injury prone guys penciled in at both tackle spots, and when they had to predictably reach into their depth, they realized their number 3 and 4 guys were so bad that they had to turn to their starting f*cking guard to play tackle.

Now, I hope either Billy Turner, Max Mitchell, or (god forbid) both step up and prove me wrong (they seemed fine yesterday), but JD's decision making at OL this year has not filled me with confidence.

Don’t forget about the 2nd round rookie Center who is being asked to play guard.

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Can this possibly be correlated to having an inept strength & conditioning coach or medical staff? These injuries are ridiculous. Every ******* year. Rodgers, AVT twice, Becton, Carl Lawson, Breece Hall? This is ridiculous. 

Honestly, before AR went down, during Hard Knocks, one exercise in particular struck me as unnecessarily taxing on the ankles / calves / feet.

It's the one where they do a deep knee flex and basically do a vertical jump while holding a medicine ball.

I remember AR specifically saying on camera that he'd never done anything like that before but that he was willing to do it if that's what the trainers thought was best.

Achilles tears are statistically pretty rare.

To have Lawson go down and now AR and AVT within a 1-month span is troubling.