Your No-Bullsh*t Season Prediction Thread: Four questions

Record:

10-7, but we miss out on the playoffs on a tie-breaker in classic Jets fashion. Overall, the roster is very good, but I still don't trust the coaching staff to guide us to the finish line and I foresee some critical injuries at the worst possible times that will prevent us from reaching our potential. 

Reasons for hope:

1) Rodgers is the best QB in NFL history at avoiding interceptions while remaining productive (lowest all-time interception % and highest all-time TD/INT ratio). This gives the Jets, a team with a very good defense, an opportunity to win the turnover battle week in and week out - that should lead to a lot of wins. Even if Rodgers is well past his prime, he is an ideal fit with a potentially elite defense, IMO. 

2) The roster is as good as it has been in 14 years. Promising young core of potential starts  (GW, Sauce,, Breece, Quincy), very good pass rushers, elite veteran OT, elite veteran DT, loaded CB room, loaded LB room, loaded RB room, good kicker, good punter, and a potentially upper echelon WR2 if healthy. And of course, an (aging) all-time great QB in the twilight of his career. That's a lot to work with. 

3) The schedule is quietly somewhat favorable early - we have a chance to get off to a good start and build momentum. (A key to this year, IMO)

Reasons for pessimism:

1) The coaching staff has a lot to prove. HC, OC, and OL coach are major question marks. Is Saleh capable of getting the most out of this team? I'm uncertain. 

2) We are relying on a handful of injury-prone and/or aging veterans at some key positions. Aaron Rodgers, Tyron Smith, Mike Williams, and AVT are all pronounced injury risks for varying reasons. Can these guys hold up? Losing Rodgers again would be Game Over, but so would losing 2 or 3 of the others on this list. 

3) The defense may be due to regress, and in particular, may be due for some bad injury luck. The defense has been excellent the past two seasons and a large reason why is a lack of major injuries to our best players: Sauce, DJ, Quinnen, Quincy, Mosley. Those guys have all played almost every game the past 2 years. Can that continue for a third straight year? Also, regardless of health, it's just difficult to be really good 3 years in a row. I fear a regression is a real possibility. 

Hot Take unrelated to the Jets:

The Texans will regress and miss the playoffs. It's much easier to catch the league by surprise in year 1 than it is to live up to expectations in year 2. I predict that a harder schedule and brighter lights will lead to some growing pains for the Texans in year 2 of Stroud. Just a gut feeling. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Such a strange take.   It's what I always suspected with many of you. That you would rather be right than see the team win.

I’m not reading past the first paragraph. You cared so much more about being right about Zach than you did about the jets winning. You spewed it all over the boards for three ******* years. I made a joke and included you in it. Be grateful or shut up.

You see @T0mShane. You’ve sunk so low that this is now your company.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Oh now that the season’s around the corner you wanna be all “Aaron is the goat”. 

go back to your anti-rodgers sandbox with the likes of @FidelioJet and @dbatesman and @Beerfish. @UntouchableCrew’s been keeping a list of all you undeservings and I swear to god if I even see so much as a smile on any of you during this season……..

9A95DE89-93F4-488E-B369-35D38298BD18.gif

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m not reading past the first paragraph. You cared so much more about being right about Zach than you did about the jets winning. You spewed it all over the boards for three ******* years. I made a joke and included you in it. Be grateful or shut up.

You see @T0mShane. You’ve sunk so low that this is now your company.

Was this one a joke too?

Should I thank you for writing it?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Oh now that the season’s around the corner you wanna be all “Aaron is the goat”. 

go back to your anti-rodgers sandbox with the likes of @FidelioJet and @dbatesman and @Beerfish. @UntouchableCrew’s been keeping a list of all you undeservings and I swear to god if I even see so much as a smile on any of you during this season……..

greenwichjetfan - Smile Police

Whooo Whooo Whooo here comes the smile police!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Predict the Jets record (without qualifiers): 

2. Three Reasons For Hope:

3. Three Reasons It’ll Go To sh*t:

4. What’s your hottest non-Jets take for this season in the NFL?

12-5

Because I’m an idiot, because I’m an idiot, because I’m an idiot

Duh because it’s the Jets, duh because it’s the Jets, duh because it’s the Jets.

Kene Nwangwu will become a stud RB for the Vikings.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

12-5
OL massive improvement, leading to dynamic offense, allowing defense to pin ears back and attack
injuries, refs, voodoo dolls
Pats 3 or fewer wins, Giants 4 or fewer wins, and Raiduhs 6 or fewer wins.  Take that to the bank

• Upvote 1

1)  13-4

2)

• Aaron Rodgers - In 15 seasons as the Green Bay Packers' starter, Rodgers was blessed with a top-10 defense (yards allowed) only four times. Their records in those seasons (all playoff years): 11-5, 10-6, 13-3 and 13-4. He's had only two top-5 defenses, and the last time that happened in 2010 resulted in a Super Bowl championship
  • T situation improvement (Smith, Moses, Fashanu)
  • Favorable schedule

3) 

• injuries, injuries, injuries
  • team gets too cocky - seeing signs of this already with Sauce waving at the Giants sideline after joint practice.
  • hackett.thumb.jpg.e51311afd012ffa5ec957a978e415e0e.jpg

4) Bears ->NFC Championship Game

• Upvote 2

This is the season we’ve been waiting for our whole lives (most of us lol)

Best QB to ever play for the team with an outstanding line, elite WR and dynamic back with great hands, built to give the defense a lead by passing 60/40 early and running 60/40 late.  

Best pass rush since the sack exchange with easily the best secondary in football, specifically the top 3 corners, with 2 pro bowl LBs.  Give this defense rest and the lead and enjoy the win. 

Outstanding kicking game and special teams coach. 

9th most favorable net rest advantage 

4th easiest schedule 

team will have all 45 guys the team wants to dress available week 1. Reddick can pound sand. Just play Takk. 

It’s all right in front of them. 

13-4 division champs 

Beat the 9ers in the Super Bowl 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1. 10-7

2.  Reasons for hope:  1.  O line looks great, and Rodgers can still sling it.  We got Dawgs at running back, and solid receiving core.

2.  Up until now, no significant injuries, and players have recovered well from past injuries

3.  Attitude of the team is sky high.  They expect to win, and are just not hoping to win.

3. Reasons it will go to sh*t:   1.  Outside of Jermaine Johnson, we currently have no proven pass rushers on the roster.  Lots of hope, but hope is not a strategy.

2. We have (3) starting offensive linemen that are injury prone, and coming back from injuries.  Moses missed 5 games last year, AVT was out for the season, and Tyron Smith missed 4 games last year, and has a history of missing significant time in his past 4 or 5 years.  If 2 of these 3 guys go down, we could be in trouble, trying to keep Rodgers upright.

3. History has a tendency to repeat itself.  Every year we have high hopes, and out of the last 13 straight years, it has gone to sh*t each and every year.  Why should this year be any different?

4. Miami Dolphins will win the AFC East.  Patriots and Bills will both finish under .500

(1)  Jets record — 10-7

(2) Reasons for Hope

• The Jets have assembled the greatest collection of skill position talent (and at premium positions) in the history of the franchise, including the best QB to ever put on the uniform.  Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson are on the verge of being household names in the same way Christian McCaffrey and Justin Jefferson are.
  • The defense, despite some disappointing developments along the D-Line, still figures to be sick.  The secondary is loaded with talent from the best CB in the league to the last man on the bench.  The Williams brothers are absolute animals.  One or both of Jermaine or Will McDonald is going to take a huge leap.
  • The schedule is pretty soft.  After the opening weak gauntlet against San Francisco, there’s not a single game on the schedule you look at and write off as a sure fire loss.

(3) Reasons It’ll Go to Sh!t

• Rodgers and Tyron are a combined 73 years old, and even beyond them the Jets are relying too heavily on veterans either coming off injuries to stay healthy (AVT, Mike Williams, Chuck Clark) or underwhelming performances to “improve to the mean” (Lazard).
  • The coaching staff is disjointed and just generally below average.  Aside from Ulbrich (and Saleh from a defensive perspective, I guess), the staff does not inspire confidence in being able to scheme up a complete game plan week in and week out.  We’ll see how things go without the shackles of Zach Wilson, but I don’t think anyone here is lobbing in a strong vote of confidence for Saleh & Co.
  • The expectations are too high.  People talking “Super Bowl” about a team that hasn’t sniffed the playoffs in 14 years doesn’t seem like something that will go well.

(4) Spicy Non-Jets Takes

• Joe W. Namath receives a 30 day ban at some point during the season (at the hands of Crusher)
  • Dak Prescott has a shot to break Peyton Manning’s single season passing yards record with a few weeks to go
  • The Packers win the Super Bowl
  • Eagles miss the playoffs
  • Todd Bowles returns to the playoffs with the Bucs
  • The Raiders go 0-17.  Raideraholic doesn’t post again after Week 6.

(5) Bonus Spicy Jets Takes

• Breece Hall has 1900 yards from scrimmage and 16 TDs
  • Rodgers plays 15 games
  • Olu Fashanu is starting at one of the tackle spots by the bye week and then starts every game for the Jets for the next 8 years
  • Jets leading WR after Garrett is Allen Lazard
  • Quincy Williams, Sauce Gardner, Breece Hall are all 1st Team AP All Pro

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1) 10-7

2a) Rodgers appears to be 100%

2b) Love the addition of Agent 0, Braelon Allen to spell Breece Hall & keep him fresh

2c) 2nd full off-season of Rodgers coaching the offense up

3a) Injuries along the O-Line

3b) A serious injury to Rodgers, to where we have to rely on N. Hackett running the offense

3c) Injuries to key players in the secondary - Sauce, DJ Reed or MCII

4) Curious to see how teams really try and defend against K/O returns with the new K/O rules in place

• Upvote 1

12-5
Talented roster.well overdue.real QBs
Injuries..costly penalties..because..the Jets
A 70 yard FG is made this year??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1. 13-4

2. After SF there’s a nice stretch of games for this team to simultaneously pile wins and work out any kinks,  if the raiders flame early the Jets are 1st in line to acquire Adams at the deadline, the 2022 draft class should take yet another massive leap forward.

3. Obvious one is Injuries, Salehs inability to out coach the opposing head coach costs us close games, I can’t think of a third reason which speaks to how strong the roster looks.

4. The Texans and Browns will be bigger threats to the 1 seed than KC. 

On paper, everything looks really good, but as so many have noted the past few months, there are a lot of things that could go wrong with the OL, WR corps (except GW) and the big one is the QB playing well and staying healthy in his soon to be 41yo season.

Training camp reports are positive with this team, but I’d caution that the 3 teams we’ve scrimmaged against (Wash, Car and NYG) aren’t exactly top tier. In fact they’re probably all bottom 5 rosters.

• Upvote 1

12-5

1. Defense should be even better than last year. With a better offense they will not be as tired and this will pay huge dividends.

2. Vastly improved O-line which translates to a vastly improved running game.

3. Great depth almost everywhere.

1. Injuries.

2. Team taking too many games to gel.

3. Stupid penalties at key moments.

Hmmm...  Giants to the bottom of the abyss.

1. 10-7. I think we ultimately find out that the coaching staff kinda stinks but we didn’t notice because Zach Wilson vacuumed up all the blame.

Hey! The OP said no qualifiers!

12-5

Rodgers/Taylor are way way better than the worst in league QBing of the past 3 years. Running back tandem of Hall/Allen could be best in league. Revamped and deeper Oline. Better receiver group. 

Injuries are always a concern and major ones will be the only thing to derail what may be a great season. 

Jets win AFCE. 

• Upvote 2

0-0 to start the season

Mr. Irrelevant

Ultra talented practice squad

"Undefeated in 2024!"

The players

The coaching staff 

The fans

The owners

The organization

Mekhi Becton continues to vomit on the field throughout the regular season.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

8-8-1

3 positives

Sauce DPOY

Rodgers starting at QB and plays over 7 games

Breece Hall

3 negatives

Only 1 WR and a bunch of scrubs

FO and CS could not spell CAT without spotting them two of the 3 letters

OL is old again

Hot take

Goddell found guilty of paying off the Judge who threw out the Sunday Ticket judgement 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1) 12-5

2)Aaron Rodgers, Tyron Smith, and... Olu Fashanu. A competent offense changes everything and with a healthy rodgers we'll be much better than just competent. Smith keeps him that way. And Olu means rodgers stays upright even when Smith misses a few games

3) injuries, pat mahomes, Josh Allen finds another level

4)Xavier Worthy makes chiefs fans forget tyreek hill

1. 11-6;loss in AFC title game to KC. 

2. Good defense, Rodgers is as good as we've had @ QB even in his dotage. 

3. Ways it could go sideways;age in key spots like LT and QB. Iffy pass rush.  Saleh is a total passenger, not a difference maker at HC.

4. Dak Prescott and Mike Mccarthy blow up like fireworks factory struck by a lightning storm; Bellechick, having no soul nor caring about any golden years BS once the gold digger decamps,  says "Hey, partner!' to Jerry Jones.

Caleb Williams, like every Bears QB for a generation or 7  is meh, though media will sell him like the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning, they've done with every other Bears QB since forever. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

4. Hot takes:

Belichick strings them along but ends up taking the Giants job.

Remains to be seen if John Mara is still sore about BB dipping his wick in the Meadowlands secretarial pool. And why would BB sign  for a reclamation project/toxic waste dump/draftee to be named in 2025 at QB?  Which isn't to say it might not happen. Not crazy to think Tommy Devito gets 7+ starts, and that will end badly. . 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. 13-4

2. They will rely on the running game more then people think, Mike Williams is a major X factor if healthy. The dline will be better and produce more sacks this year then last. 

3. Injuries, Rodgers plays like an over the hill veteran, OC playcalling/game planning

4. Bears make the playoffs off of Caleb’s ROY season. 

Barkley has an OPOY season and makes Giants fans sick to their stomach. 

10-7

Hope

1. Rodgers is the most skilled QB to ever play in a Jets uniform

2. This is an elite defense

3. The Jets “Big Two” weapons are the real deal

Pessimism

1. Rodgers ain’t the same guy anymore

2. WR depth scary

3. They’re still the Jets

Hottest non-Jets take: This is the season Trevor Lawrence convincingly enters the conversation as an elite QB

1. 13-4 the 5 losses being SF, Mia, Buffalo, Pitts, 

2a. Salah is a good coach and it will be proved this year when he finally has a QB. plus with new coaches they come to teams that are bad and have no winners to teach them the right way to do thing. with Rodgers i think Salah is learning how to be a better HC.

2b. Rodgers. 

2c. this roster. our core 4 (GW, HALL, Sause and JJ) are all young and will continue to improve. there is good depth here too.

3a. injury to one guy who i will not mention to jinx him. i think this roster has enough depth that god forbid we lose a top player or 2 we could make do with it. but there is one guy we cant.

3b. Reddick. im afraid he will come in here and rock the boat. he is not getting what he wants and if he does play he wont be happy. and he wont be ready for weeks. normally i think Rodgers is a larger-than-life presence that can keep that crap under control but i have a feeling Reddick being a vet won't listen.

3c. Woody. im afraid he will interfere somehow.

4a Dan Campbell will be fired at season end. he makes stupid decisions in games.

4b Brain Daboll will be fired at season end. Giants win 4 or 5 games and Mara wants a new HC to draft a new QB

4c Texans will take a step backwards. after doing a deep dive into their roster its not as good as people think.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. I’ll say 9-8. I don’t think Rodgers stays healthy and I don’t like the coaching staff. 

2. Breece and Garrett, revamped OL, potentially healthy Rodgers

3. Saleh is a moron (as is most of the staff), we consistently are top of the league in injuries, and the franchise is cursed.

4. Jordan Love wins MVP