Trade down! And build like the saints did!

Smo0v3mik3

people go nuts for trading down, which i am ok with....but someone has to make it worth your while to go down from a top 3 pick if there are elite players as a position of need available. is someone giving us multiple first rounders? are we getting 3 two's to go down 3 slots?

57 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

people go nuts for trading down, which i am ok with....but someone has to make it worth your while to go down from a top 3 pick if there are elite players as a position of need available. is someone giving us multiple first rounders? are we getting 3 two's to go down 3 slots?

of course it depends on the deal.  but you know that they could draft a 'superstar' who shows up maybe 75% of the time or a couple of good football players who shows up 100% of the time.  i'll take the good players who show up over the guys who take plays off or think they can get by on talent alone.

Trading down is good in theory.

I have been adamant about offense and protecting Darnold for months.  Also a sound strategy, one nobody would argue against.

But the Jets haven't had an elite pass rusher in over 20 years.  The Jets have a chance to draft one at #3.  Which player is the right one is debatable (Quinnen Williams is my choice despite having to stomach another DT pick in the 1st round because I believe he is an All-Pro in the making).

I am not sure I pass on this opportunity for another franchise cornerstone unless the price is outageous.   Use the entire rest of the draft on offensive line and cornerback.  But take the pass rusher...

The same Saints who traded their 2019 1st round pick to move up 13 slots to the middle of the 1st round?  Or the Saints who traded away a draft pick or Eli Apple?  The same Saints who have just 6 picks this year and next? 

Like someone said...that team is all and only about the best FA signing in NFL history.  They never even really surrounded him with great talent until about 2 years ago.  

What you meant to say is let's draft the equivalent of Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas?  That sounds like a good plan.  

Saints should have been in the last two Super Bowls:

First one they lose because of a miracle play and one of the biggest bone-head moves by a defender EVER, second they lost because of one of the worst non-calls EVER in the history of the NFL.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Trading down is good in theory.

I have been adamant about offense and protecting Darnold for months.  Also a sound strategy, one nobody would argue against.

But the Jets haven't had an elite pass rusher in over 20 years.  The Jets have a chance to draft one at #3.  Which player is the right one is debatable (Quinnen Williams is my choice despite having to stomach another DT pick in the 1st round because I believe he is an All-Pro in the making).

I am not sure I pass on this opportunity for another franchise cornerstone.

Agreed. If the Jets strike an offer they can't turn down (even though it's hard trusting the GM with picking the right guys) they should probably take it, but grabbing the next young stud pass rusher would finally end that 10+ year headache.

Is Allen that much better then trading down and picking up someone like Burns and C + WR or CB tho? Could even double up on pass rush with the first 2 picks.

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The same Saints who traded their 2019 1st round pick to move up 13 slots to the middle of the 1st round?  Or the Saints who traded away a draft pick or Eli Apple?  The same Saints who have just 6 picks this year and next? 

Like someone said...that team is all and only about the best FA signing in NFL history.  They never even really surrounded him with great talent until about 2 years ago.  

What you meant to say is let's draft the equivalent of Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas?  That sounds like a good plan.  

Dikta Saints 

It takes 2 to tango. We need someone willing to come up to 3 to make it happen.

That being said - we can address edge, center, CB & WR with our 1st 4 picks.

Also remember that Claiborne is still unsigned. Wonder if we might bring him back on a reasonable deal.

The op is 100% correct.

In one draft the saints went from decent team to true contender.

Starting pro bowl corner in Lattimore

Starting OT in Garret Bolles

Starting safety in Marcus Williams

Starting LB in Anazalone

Play making Rb in Kamara

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The op is 100% correct.

Starting LB in Anazalone

Play making Rb in Kamara

Ramczyk, not Bolles.  Yes it was a great draft.  They had an extra first and third rounder after trading Cooks.  That helps a lot.  But they also burned a 2nd rounder the following year to get the 3rd rounder they used on Anazalone.  The draft had nothing to do with trading down.  It was simply a bunch of picks that panned out very well.  But saying "let's trade down and pick like the 2017 Saints" like it's an obvious strategy is sort of silly, isn't it?

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

It takes 2 to tango. We need someone willing to come up to 3 to make it happen.

That being said - we can address edge, center, CB & WR with our 1st 4 picks.

Also remember that Claiborne is still unsigned. Wonder if we might bring him back on a reasonable deal.

D-O-N-E. Stick a fork in him.

Yes trading the pick would be good but if its out of the top 10 or even top 6 I'm not too excited about it. Unless they get blown away it might just be wise to take whatever guy falls. That's if Murray goes #!1.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The op is 100% correct.

Starting LB in Anazalone

Play making Rb in Kamara

Interesting that 3 of the 5 positions are positions that some complain Macc overrates and needs to stay away from. 

I am looking forward to some actual news even if it’s just resigning of depth guys or a trade here or there. We need some actual news/rumors instead of these redundant threads. 

I check every 12 minutes. Nothing but a couple of Chris Johnson quotes about gronk.

That’s why I posted the mauldin tweet. At least it’s kinda almost sumthin. Eh?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If I had any confidence Maccagnan could make a good pick in the middle of the 1st and 2nd rounds, I'd be pushing trading down as hard as anyone.  But he's not.  The last time he picked in the middle of the 1st, we ended up with Darron Lee.  And our BEST 2nd round draft choice in the Macc tenure was Marcus Maye.  Yikes. 

The Saints could do what they did because they actually made smart draft choices. 

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Exactly. I want them to trade down.... provided they get a similar haul that the Colts got from us. That doesn't just happen because we want it to happen, we need the right player to fall to 3 and the right team that desperately wants to move up to get that player and is willing to overpay. 

If Murray goes 1 and a team trades up to 2 to get Haskins we are likely "stuck" taking Bosa. 

7 hours ago, Smo0v3mik3 said:

Trading down will be the best thing this team could do! Get more picks! Center,edge,cornerback! If we do this correctly we can build like the saints did! One draft and they were back in the playoffs 

Sounds good until one remembers it's Mike "CFL/AFA extraordinaire Christian Hackenberg & Jamal Adams over Mahomes" Maccagnan making the picks.

This said last year's draft looks like it could be good, so hopefully he's on the upswing.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, rangerous said:

of course it depends on the deal.  but you know that they could draft a 'superstar' who shows up maybe 75% of the time or a couple of good football players who shows up 100% of the time.  i'll take the good players who show up over the guys who take plays off or think they can get by on talent alone.

so we should pass on stud players and draft a bunch of good players instead because stud players take plays off? u know why guys like Lebron dont have to play D like Patrick Beverly? because they make impact on the game at their 75% that is significantly higher then any one or more players at 100%...

in the NFL talent always wins, try hard guys fill out rosters...but dont win jack sh*t. you could argue u have a better chance of hitting on a stud if u trade 1 for a few....but thats the only legit argument here.

Im about as anti trade down as you can get but if I had to trade down  there are really only 2 trades i’d move the pick for. I’d trade #3 for #6 and next years #1 (idt 6+17 are enough to miss out on Bosa/Allen) or i’d trade #3 and Lee for Von Miller and #10 and then take Jonah/Greedy/Metcalf at 10. I wouldn’t trade passed #10 either. 

On 3/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, Ohhthepain said:

I feel like people forget that there also needs to be a team that agrees to trade up to make a trade down possible. We cant just proclaim "Trade down!" And then it happens.

18 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Im about as anti trade down as you can get but if I had to trade down  there are really only 2 trades i’d move the pick for. I’d trade #3 for #6 and next years #1 (idt 6+17 are enough to miss out on Bosa/Allen) or i’d trade #3 and Lee for Von Miller and #10 and then take Jonah/Greedy/Metcalf at 10. I wouldn’t trade passed #10 either. 

So, let me get this straight...

You wouldn't trade # 3 for #6 and #17?  In this draft?  You think Bosa and Allen and Williams and the 2 QBs we don't need in this draft..each  individually are worth #6 and #17?  Even by the draft value chart that's getting 2550 for 2200.

And for the record, while I'd do that trade straight up, I'd ask for a throw in 3rd or 4th next year at first offer.

10 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

So, let me get this straight...

You wouldn't trade # 3 for #6 and #17?  In this draft?  You think Bosa and Allen and Williams and the 2 QBs we don't need in this draft..each  individually are worth #6 and #17?  Even by the draft value chart that's getting 2550 for 2200.

And for the record, while I'd do that trade straight up, I'd ask for a throw in 3rd or 4th next year at first offer.

I take the sure thing at #3 and fill the void at edge that’s lasted a decade these top tier prospects are game changers (Bosa/Allen even Q)I don’t think #6 and #17 are enough to pass on that and I also have 0 faith in mac to select the right players later in the drafts. 

Archived