Mo Claiborne

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So a little nugget from the draft presser is that Macc said they are open to resigning Claiborne.  When publicly acknowledging something like that, it makes me think it's pretty much a done deal.

Yeah, I caught that too.  I expect him back; and that is not a bad thing.  

• Sympathy 1

I thought he was part of the problem more than he was part of the solution last season. He was often out of position and beaten badly on plays. It wasn’t all scheme him and others in the secondary didn’t perform. I liked him the previous season. I wouldn’t re-sign him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So a little nugget from the draft presser is that Macc said they are open to resigning Claiborne.  When publicly acknowledging something like that, it makes me think it's pretty much a done deal.

They definitely need to bring him back. Not comfortable with the current depth chart at CB.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's usually the case. I wouldn't mind having him back at the right $$.

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

No thank you.  If you sleep with a girl and you get crabs you don't sleep with her again.  If you do, then it's on you.

Daryl Roberts would have to be a complete disaster, to approach the ineptness of Delores Clairborne.  Look elsewhere.  Look anywhere...….

Hey, you can think about sleeping with Daryl Roberts all you want but the football team I root for still needs help at CB and Mo Claiborne wouldn't be a bad option to have on the roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Hey, you can think about sleeping with Daryl Roberts all you want but the football team I root for still needs help at CB and Mo Claiborne wouldn't be a bad option to have on the roster.

My quote was far from a love letter to Darryl Roberts.   I would have liked to pick up a corner in FA or the draft.  We didn't. I expect us to before the start of the season.  Daryl Roberts was never given a chance to succeed or fail by the "genius" Toilet Bowles" and the rest of his mensa brigade of a coaching staff. 

He is faster than Delores Clairborne, and certainly has more of a desire to hit and tackle than that girlie man.  If it weren't for the focus put on Trumaine Johnson's failures at the other side, more light would have been shone on Clairborne's  totally inept performance at the other corner.  In the last five games he had one pass defensed.  Pathetic. He sucks, plain and simple.  We can do better.  We have to do better.  We can't possibly do worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

My quote was far from a love letter to Darryl Roberts.   I would have liked to pick up a corner in FA or the draft.  We didn't. I expect us to before the start of the season.  Daryl Roberts was never given a chance to succeed or fail by the "genius" Toilet Bowles" and the rest of his mensa brigade of a coaching staff. 

He is faster than Delores Clairborne, and certainly has more of a desire to hit and tackle than that girlie man.  If it weren't for the focus put on Trumaine Johnson's failures at the other side, more light would have been shone on Clairborne's  totally inept performance at the other corner.  He sucks, plain and simple.  We can do better.  We have to do better.  We can't possibly do worse.

You nailed it here!  Reminds me of Sam Kinnison in Back To School....."good answer, I'm gonna keep my eye on you."?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He is faster than Delores Clairborne, and certainly has more of a desire to hit and tackle than that girlie man.  If it weren't for the focus put on Trumaine Johnson's failures at the other side, more light would have been shone on Clairborne's  totally inept performance at the other corner.  He sucks, plain and simple.  We can do better.  We have to do better.  We can't possibly do worse.

I agree that Roberts is a better plan at CB2 than Claiborne.  My point is that we'd be a better team with Mo on the roster for depth.  An experienced, even if relatively slow CB, who has played at a high level at several times over his career is not a bad idea to bring back.

I wanted Julian Love from Notre Dame at the top of Round 4.  He was there.  We passed and traded back.  I really think that would have been a wise selection to sit behind Trumaine and Roberts this year and slowly rotate him in.  Oh well.

• Upvote 1

While its tough to say we wouldnt want Morris Clairborne at his current price with is probably 1 year and $4/5 million, we have young corners who could be better players and if we keep plugging holes with veterans we will never find out.

Derrick Jones and Daryl Roberts deserve a shot to see if they can be better players then Morris Claiborne, and I know Claiborne has the pedigree of a top pick, but he has never actually played that well.  Im personally biased towards seeing what Jones can do, and I wouldnt hate the signing, but Id like to see what these other guys can do, and let Nickerson have a shot to back up poole in the slot.

23 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If it weren't for the focus put on Trumaine Johnson's failures at the other side, more light would have been shone on Clairborne's  totally inept performance at the other corner.  In the last five games he had one pass defensed.  Pathetic. He sucks, plain and simple.  We can do better.  We have to do better.  We can't possibly do worse.

Agree.  From what I saw our CB's were the weakest link on the Defense last year.  Constantly out of position, constantly beaten for balls, constantly grabbing and drawing flags.  Glad Skrine is gone.  Glad they didn't resign Claiborne.  Hoping Williams can figure out Johnson. Disappointed Gase retained Dennard Wilson.  Hoping maybe Jones can play (looked decent against the Pats)...

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He is faster than Delores Clairborne, and certainly has more of a desire to hit and tackle than that girlie man.  If it weren't for the focus put on Trumaine Johnson's failures at the other side, more light would have been shone on Clairborne's  totally inept performance at the other corner.  In the last five games he had one pass defensed.  Pathetic. He sucks, plain and simple.  We can do better.  We have to do better.  We can't possibly do worse.

I see no issue in letting Darryl Roberts, Parry Nickerson, Derrick Jones, Rashard Robinson, and Tevaughn Campbell all getting a look from a brand new DC.  See if they can be coached up and made better.

But there is also nothing wrong with bringing a guy like Claiborne in at a friendly cap number who will do what he does.  He isn't as bad as you make him out to be when he is asked to do what he can do.  Bowles tried making him a #1, which he is not.  With increased pressure we 'should' be getting, it will also help him out.

But I would like to see the other guys get playing time to see what we have.  No question about it.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, peebag said:

If that was the FO's plan, everyone needs to be fired.

Why???  That is part of an off-season strategy.  Teams are monitoring other teams rosters especially after the draft.  For example, Green Bay may want to trade center Corey Linsley after drafting Elgton Jenkins in round 2.  Linsley is better than any rookie center at this point and is only 27.  The Eagles, who presumably were interested in Darren Lee drafted Arcega-Whiteside in round 2 and may be willing to trade Mack Hollins (25 years old and is 6'4") or the Niners may want to trade Jordan Matthews (26 and 6'3") after taking two WR in the draft.

Mac traded Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis after the draft and before the season.  The off-season is far from over.  If Mac goes into the season with Harrison and Toth as their only centers, then he deserves to be fired.  I'll wait to see what happens.

• Upvote 1