Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Definitely a decent amount of baggage that comes with him, but assuming the price is right, him and Anderson stretching the field could be awesome to watch.

I know Douglas prioritizes high character guys, but is this a move you would have to give some consideration to assuming he and the league come to some sort of agreement?

Thoughts?

 

From rotoworld:

Suspended free agent WR Martavis Bryant has applied for reinstatement.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Bryant has been working with the NFL and the Players Association on steps he needs to take to address his mental health issues, with therapists and ADHD treatments. Bryant has been trying to come to an agreement with the league for proper treatment for his mental health. Still 27, Bryant could yet again get another chance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass. Let him be somebody else’s problem. Anderson stretches the field and has his own off the field issues. The Jets don’t need another downfield receiver with tons of baggage.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a delicate locker room to bring in a guy like this.  Better for the team and him if he gets added to a team with strong veteran leadership where he will simply have to fall in line and not lead.  IMO, the Jets have not had great success with guys like this recently - Winslow, Marshall, Erin Henderson, ASJ. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believed very strongly in his talents early in his Steelers career.  But that time has come and gone.  If he was going to approach his ceiling,  he would have done so by now even in his limited time on the field.

Reminds me of Chris Henry, whom I enjoyed watching play.

Hard pass on Martavis.

My new hope is Preston Williams... even if he is a Phin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Definitely a decent amount of baggage that comes with him, but assuming the price is right, him and Anderson stretching the field could be awesome to watch.

I know Douglas prioritizes high character guys, but is this a move you would have to give some consideration to assuming he and the league come to some sort of agreement?

Thoughts?

 

From rotoworld:

Suspended free agent WR Martavis Bryant has applied for reinstatement.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Bryant has been working with the NFL and the Players Association on steps he needs to take to address his mental health issues, with therapists and ADHD treatments. Bryant has been trying to come to an agreement with the league for proper treatment for his mental health. Still 27, Bryant could yet again get another chance.

 

 

What price is the "right price" for a guy who hasnt worked out anywhere he's been? 

You dont have to give consideration to a guy who clearly has the ability, but has clearly shown to not want it. 

Granted, anyone can change...that doesn't mean a Jets team looking to avoid dysfunction should consider him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What price is the "right price" for a guy who hasnt worked out anywhere he's been? 

You dont have to give consideration to a guy who clearly has the ability, but has clearly shown to not want it. 

Granted, anyone can change...that doesn't mean a Jets team looking to avoid dysfunction should consider him.

Funny thing is the same people that say give him a look are the same one's that would say dump this bum if he was on the Jets..:roll:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually don't see a problem bringing him in to compete for a roster spot. Not much to lose, if you ask me. If he under performs, you cut him, if he is locker room or off field concern, cut him. Our roster right now has 2 spots up for grabs at WR (if they carry 6).  If he looks dominant in camp and coaches feel like he is on the right track mentally to focus on football, he could be a steal. He has the talent and has shown he can play in the NFL. He's also not an old vet on his last legs, the guys is 27. So it would not be a terrible risk to take b/c the guy could turn into a long term starter. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on earth would we take a chance like this?

I know the Jets need some upgrades and additions at WR but we still have concerns about Robby Anderson's off-field stuff occasionally.....why sign up a guy who is even worse?

Let's minimize our headaches, get through 2019 with a very interesting WR group (Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Burnett, Dortch?)...and then head into a very loaded WR Draft in 2020 with a plan to add a guy in Round 2 or 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am always looking to improve the WR position here not sure if Bryant is the answer but currently speaking we are weak at the position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at this in the sense, that what if we signed him to a 1 or 2 year deal very team friendly, which depending on how many other teams are interested, he might sign since we have a QB in place, a familiar teammate in L. Bell, and an opportunity to compete for a starting position because of our depth issues.

Maybe he doesn't tackle our starting lineup, but another team gets riddled with injuries, and we could move him before the deadline, even if ti was for a late round pick in the draft.

I'm not arguing his personality issues, and he doesn't have consistency, but he was a difference maker at times for Pittsburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has never played a full season, check.

Has never surpassed 1,000 yards, check. 

Has never caught more than 50 passes in a season, check. 

Not even officially eligible to be on an NFL roster due to behavioral issues. 

JN: "we should kick the tires" 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see bringing in a "boom" or "bust" kind of guy if the "boom" meant we could really compete with a long playoff run.

The reality is, this year is all about Darnold's development, not making the playoffs.  I'd rather roll with the core guys we have then try to force someone else in that mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kind of a delicate locker room to bring in a guy like this.  Better for the team and him if he gets added to a team with strong veteran leadership where he will simply have to fall in line and not lead.  IMO, the Jets have not had great success with guys like this recently - Winslow, Marshall, Erin Henderson, ASJ. 

Wonder what Bell, and Bryant’s relationship was/is like would Bell be able to keep the kid in line, would they be toxic together, that would be the biggest thing I’d have to know before even considering looking his way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What price is the "right price" for a guy who hasnt worked out anywhere he's been? 

You dont have to give consideration to a guy who clearly has the ability, but has clearly shown to not want it. 

 

You clearly don’t understand his mental health issues because if you did you would never spew this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Wonder what Bell, and Bryant’s relationship was/is like would Bell be able to keep the kid in line, would they be toxic together, that would be the biggest thing I’d have to know before even considering looking his way.

I don't know if they'd be toxic, but if Bell were going to keep him in line, wouldn't he have done so?  Bryant was suspended in 2015 and for the year in 2016 while Bell was his teammate.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I would pick him up take a serious look at him in a passing league what do you have to lose. This guy can stretch the field like Robby Anderson. If he can get his head screwed on straight, he would be worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really not interested in him at all. Besides the Jets have other holes to fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Wonder what Bell, and Bryant’s relationship was/is like would Bell be able to keep the kid in line, would they be toxic together, that would be the biggest thing I’d have to know before even considering looking his way.

 

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know if they'd be toxic, but if Bell were going to keep him in line, wouldn't he have done so?  Bryant was suspended in 2015 and for the year in 2016 while Bell was his teammate.   

Personally, I think Bell should be focused on ensuring that he's 100% ready to go come Week 1 of the NFL season to elevate this offence. He should be focused on learning the offence and developing chemistry with Darnold. I would not want to see him saddled with a bum who has washed out of the league because he can't keep his off-field priorities in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem whatsoever with taking a shot.  

We need talent at numerous positions, and sometimes have to take risks.  In this case, the risk is basically nothing.  If we can get something out of him, it's worth it for the 90th guy on the roster.  I will personally drive Eric Tomlinson to the airport and pickup Bryant from rehab.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussie Jet said:

would not want to see him saddled with a bum who has washed out of the league because he can't keep his off-field priorities in order.

Another person who does not understand his mental struggle, if you did you wouldn’t post this.  Now I’m not saying it’s the right move I’m just saying people are assuming these issues are something he can just drop like smoking weed, they are not, and the medication needed to treat these disorders are ones the NFL does not want players on which is unfortunate for Bryant making it impossible for him to play football at his highest level without them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he likes Cleveland or Foxboro in winter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I am always looking to improve the WR position here not sure if Bryant is the answer but currently speaking we are weak at the position.

We are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ex-Steeler receivers are always a safe bet, right? 

Holmes was solid in his first year with the Jets and helped us get to the AFCCG, problem was that we resigned him to a large contract and got rid of half the offense to fund it.   After the contract was signed, he was injured and never had a productive season afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No thanks. The guy not only just has character issues, he's an underachiever. Why should we believe it's all going to come together for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...