Chris Ryan Joins Jets' Negative Beat Writer Brigade With Awful Slant on Bill Parcells Compliment

joewilly12

By Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Entering his second season in the NFL, Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldcould make the next step toward becoming one of the league’s top passers.

However, Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells isn’t sold that leap into stardom is coming just yet.

According to a story from the New York Post, Parcells tampered expectations for the third overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said, according to the New York Post. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Despite the fact Parcells said Darnold isn’t ready to be a true star in the league at this point, the former Jets and Giants coach made it clear he’s still a fan of the player. He added Darnold has the mindset needed to successfully play the position in the league.

“That’s very important,” Parcells said. “Half of them come into the league and they’re ready to be a star but they’re not ready to pay the price to be a quarterback.”

Darnold started 13 games during his rookie season, throwing for 2,865 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The Jets went 4-9 in the games he started.

In his second season, Darnold should have some more weapons around him to progress. The Jets added running backs Le’Veon Bell and Ty Montgomery in free agency, along with wide receiver Jamison Crowder.

• Sympathy 1

He may not of been commenting on his play at all.Otherwise, he’d of said something related to that in the same breath. Instead he finishes with “Sam just wants to play”... meaning Sam isn’t the one ready to be a star with the intent of some individual agenda behind it. He just wants to play football at a high level. There isn’t some egotistical catch with him or any selfishness in how he approaches it. It’s just ball.

What does he even mean?

“I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

I think it means that he doesn't think Sam is full of himself.  He's not trying to be a star - he's just trying to be a QB.

I think?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, thshadow said:

What does he even mean?

I think it means that he doesn't think Sam is full of himself.  He's not trying to be a star - he's just trying to be a QB.

I think?

Parcells was big on his QB NOT being a "star". He wanted the blue collar guy who was going to put his head down and go to work rather than doing things for attention or being a media whore. It was one of his big requirements for being his QB. It's a big compliment from him.

It didn't occur to me until after I read this that there is an entire generation of football fans now who didn't get to see Parcells in his prime, and might not get where he's coming from with these comments.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I used to teach high school journalism, so crap like the original article cited in the OP, which clearly misrepresents what Parcells said, is pretty disgusting.  Either incompetence/idiocy or willful deception both by the writer (the lead) and the editor (the headline). 

I think its possible that whoever wrote the headline (editor) just read the article's lead, no further, and composed the headline based on that.  The writer shares some of the blame for that headline.

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is taken so badly out of context the reporter should be ashamed.

The context of Parcells comments were basically that what he likes about Sam is that he doesn't want to be a "star" (echoing previous comments he's made about "celebrity QBs") he just wants to work hard and play football.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/04/bill-parcells-likes-that-sam-darnold-just-wants-to-play/

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold has one of the highest-profile jobs in the NFL.

And yet, he’s been able to stay low-key, which earned the approval of a guy who is historically hard to impress.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells told Brian Costello of the New York Post that Darnold had the right personality to lead a team.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Parcells got to know Darnold and Bills quarterback Josh Allen prior to the 2018 NFL Draft, meeting with them in Florida. Parcells came away with Darnold’s maturity.

“That’s very important,” Parcells said. “Half of them come into the league and they’re ready to be a star but they’re not ready to pay the price to be a quarterback.”

He clearly thinks Darnold is ready, and now that the second-year quarterback has a better cast of help around him, things could improve quickly there.

Totally agree. I never for a second felt Bill Parcells was talking Sam Darnold down, and on the contrary I came away from reading Parcells'  above comments as though he was praising Darnold for putting in the work to become a star in this league. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This is lousy journalism at it's finest. Really, really bad. I posted a comment on the story itself -- for all the good it will do. At least it's only the Star-Ledger/NJ.com, which no one pays attention to anymore.

You should tell him to "temper" his expectations not "tamper".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry the headline and the article arent quite the same message.

He didnt say he wouldnt be a star, just needs more time.  And isnt playing as if thats the only reason or most important reason he plays.  

He said the same things about LT before year 2

CuMar

Nothing here

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is taken so badly out of context the reporter should be ashamed

Being "taken out of context" is used for virtually every questionable comment somebody utters these days. This, however is the perfect example of taking something out of context. His conclusion couldn't be more polar opposite of what Bill was saying.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bill Parcells pumps the brakes on Jets’ Sam Darnold: ‘He’s not ready to be a star’

Updated 9:13 AM; Today 8:56 AM
Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells doesn't believe Jets quarterback Sam Darold is ready to make the jump into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

William Perlman | The Star-Ledger

Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells doesn't believe Jets quarterback Sam Darold is ready to make the jump into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

Comment

By Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Entering his second season in the NFL, Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldcould make the next step toward becoming one of the league’s top passers.

However, Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells isn’t sold that leap into stardom is coming just yet.

According to a story from the New York Post, Parcells tampered expectations for the third overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said, according to the New York Post. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Despite the fact Parcells said Darnold isn’t ready to be a true star in the league at this point, the former Jets and Giants coach made it clear he’s still a fan of the player. He added Darnold has the mindset needed to successfully play the position in the league.

Darnold started 13 games during his rookie season, throwing for 2,865 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The Jets went 4-9 in the games he started.

In his second season, Darnold should have some more weapons around him to progress. The Jets added running backs Le’Veon Bell and Ty Montgomery in free agency, along with wide receiver Jamison Crowder

raw

thisisbait.jpg

Which makes me wonder why you guys are all so horribly eager to rise to it as the author intended....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

Being "taken out of context" is used for virtually every questionable comment somebody utters these days. This, however is the perfect example of taking something out of context. His conclusion couldn't be more polar opposite of what Bill was saying.

Agreed. There are only two viable explanations -- the reporter is a moron and the underlying sentiment of the comments went entirely over his head (doubtful) or he deliberately misrepresented the comments in order to generate clicks with a negative article.

• Upvote 2

Crap headline... Terrible slant... What Parcells said was actually very complimentary of Darnold saying that he wants to play football and not be Hollywood. And he is also saying that he really likes that about him and is kinda giving shade to another star QB that came out of the draft last year.

Right. That’s probably the worst spin I’ve seen on anything sports related in years!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I stopped reading news stories about the Jets a long time ago. These guys are all hacks trying to get clicks. If i wanted read negative takes on the Jets i would register for a Dolphin or Pats read a jets message board. 

fixed

• Upvote 1