The world lost a lifelong Jets fan this past weekend.

TampaJet

19 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You are actually lucky to have these great memories. He looks like a REAL man  and he appears to have raised a solid son. God Bless him and I hope you find peace. I lost my dad when I was very young and never had the chance to go to a football game with him. Many Yankee games.  I'm very sad for you. Go Jets!!!!!  If you don't mind my asking, how old was he? 

Thanks for the kind words SouthPark.   My Dad was definitely tough...he was US Army Paratrooper during the Vietnam War.  He would have been 74 next month. 

Sorry to hear about you losing your Dad at a young age.  I was very fortunate to have him in my life for as long as I did. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TampaJet said:

My father lost his battle with cancer this past Sunday night.  He was the toughest man I know, and put up a fight until the end.  Unfortunately we did not get to watch one last game together, but I was sure to let him now that they did win two in row for him.  He is the reason I am a Jets fan (yes, its fault lol, but I would not change it for the world).  Although we moved to FL when I was young, we would often spend summers back in NY, and one of my fondest memories was when he took me to Hofstra for training camp in 86.  It was the first time in my life that I met any professional athletes in person, and I still have a Jets helmet with many of the 86 players signatures. 

Since I was not around when he was able to see the Jets win their only Superbowl, I had always wished that we would be able to see one together.  Sadly, that will not happen, but I know he will always be with me, especially if and when I finally get to see one. 

This picture is from 2012 in Jax at the Tampa Fan Club tailgate.  It was the last game we went to together, and I will always have great memories of watching and discussing the jets with him. 

Dad jets.jpg

Wonderful tribute to your dad.

• Upvote 2

My father lost his battle with cancer this past Sunday night.  He was the toughest man I know, and put up a fight until the end.  Unfortunately we did not get to watch one last game together, but I was sure to let him now that they did win two in row for him.  He is the reason I am a Jets fan (yes, its fault lol, but I would not change it for the world).  Although we moved to FL when I was young, we would often spend summers back in NY, and one of my fondest memories was when he took me to Hofstra for training camp in 86.  It was the first time in my life that I met any professional athletes in person, and I still have a Jets helmet with many of the 86 players signatures. 

Since I was not around when he was able to see the Jets win their only Superbowl, I had always wished that we would be able to see one together.  Sadly, that will not happen, but I know he will always be with me, especially if and when I finally get to see one. 

This picture is from 2012 in Jax at the Tampa Fan Club tailgate.  It was the last game we went to together, and I will always have great memories of watching and discussing the jets with him. 

Dad jets.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that, bro. But it's great that you and your father had that connection and shared so much together. My dad is still getting chemo, and we found out yesterday they have to up his meds and now he'll be bald for Thanksgiving...  But I'll be thinking of you and your Father, and thankful for all the things we have in our lives. 

Our condolences and Best wishes to you and your family. 

**** cancer.

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You are actually lucky to have these great memories. He looks like a REAL man  and he appears to have raised a solid son. God Bless him and I hope you find peace. I lost my dad when I was very young and never had the chance to go to a football game with him. Many Yankee games.  I'm very sad for you. Go Jets!!!!!  If you don't mind my asking, how old was he? 

His dad looks like a tough 'ol Fireman. 

• Upvote 1

My father lost his battle with cancer this past Sunday night.  He was the toughest man I know, and put up a fight until the end. 

Sorry to hear. I'm dreading the day I have to go through this as a son. My condolences to you and your family. When the Jets eventually do win, it'll be that much sweeter for you to know that your dad was pulling strings up there to get it done. 

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sorry man, I had a similar experience... Lost my Dad in 5 months after diagnosis of prostate cancer... He was a Season ticket holder from day 1 until PSLs... Its hard...  Last game we were able to go together was the Ravens opener of the new Metlife.. Hope you are doing ok.

Im doing ok, thank you.  Sorry to hear about your Dad as well. Sounds like you have some great memories of Jets games with him.  It was about 6 months for my Dad.  He had beaten a different type of cancer years ago, but this one was too far along when they found it. It is definitely one of the hardest things to watch a loved one have to go through. 

• Sympathy 3

I am so sorry for your loss.  I'm afraid a lot of us have held that hope that one day we'd see this team get to the Super Bowl and watching with our dads.  I'm equally afraid that it will never happen for any of us of a certain age.  

But ultimately the time you did spend - the ups and downs of the last few decades - was time well spent.  Fathers and sons and football.  That is a real connection and we have to treasure it no matter what the record says.  My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm sorry to hear that, bro. But it's great that you and your father had that connection and shared so much together. My dad is still getting chemo, and we found out yesterday they have to up his meds and now he'll be bald for Thanksgiving...  But I'll be thinking of you and your Father, and thankful for all the things we have in our lives. 

Our condolences and Best wishes to you and your family. 

**** cancer.

Thank  you.  Im sorry to hear about your Dad and wish him the best fighting it.  My Dad did not lose anything during his first round, but the second round of different meds eventually caused him to lose his hair and mustache.  He was not as concerned with his hair, but he probably had the mustache for close to 50 years, so that was tough for him.    I thought he looked pretty good and younger without both.  Hang in there man.., I will be pulling for your Dad. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, TampaJet said:

Thank  you.  Im sorry to hear about your Dad and wish him the best fighting it.  My Dad did not lose anything during his first round, but the second round of different meds eventually caused him to lose his hair and mustache.  He was not as concerned with his hair, but he probably had the mustache for close to 50 years, so that was tough for him.    I thought he looked pretty good and younger without both.  Hang in there man.., I will be pulling for your Dad. 

Thank you, brother. 

5 hours ago, TampaJet said:

Dad jets.jpg

Lost my father a little over a year ago. He also introduced me to the practices at Hofstra. Your words brought back great memories. I think about my dad often and especially during Jets games.  My condolences. 

• Sympathy 1

Condolences to you and your family my friend.

I can relate as my dad lost his battle with cancer in December 2010.  He was a huge Jets and Mets fan and he took his last breath with the Jets game on the TV in his room, losing to the Dolphins. 

But, the Jets went on to another run to the AFCC game. I really thought he was pulling strings up there. ?

• Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, TampaJet said:

Dad jets.jpg

RIP BROTHER!!

9 hours ago, TampaJet said:

Dad jets.jpg

My condolences. Just lost a very close friend to cancer 2 weeks ago. My mom passed from it also 12 years back. Still hurts.  Great jersey btw - Boy Wonder 28