Let’s come up with a nickname for Mekhi Becton

On 10/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, Warfish said:

Has a very solid rookie year.

Has some reported trouble in camp with our supposedly awesome elite free agent D-End (who himself got hurt and did piss all for this team this year, yet no one mocks....).

Gets hurt his second year in a way he couldn't have avoided (rolled up from behind).  

Entire Fanbase turns on him viscously and mocks him incessantly.

What a cancerous and hateful fanbase we are.  Seriously.

There are many people worth being frustrated with right now, it's hard to see an O-lineman who played very little before getting hurt in a way that could happen to ANY O-lineman as the core of this franchises problems, much less worthy of such hateful meanspirited derision. 

SMH.

I think you're leaving out significant and fully public parts of this story.

This is who the Jets drafted, from April 2020: 

How Jets’ Mekhi Becton transformed his overweight body in 16 months — and why 6,000 calories a day is now part of his plan to dominate the NFL ... great article on how he worked his tail off - and this is before his killer rookie season, with all of his accolades (and downs played).

"This was the start of a 16-month, life-changing makeover for Becton, a prodigious, 6-foot-7 offensive tackle who had let his weight balloon to 389 pounds by the time Sirignano started working with him in January of 2019, as Louisville’s new strength and conditioning coach.

At each meal, Artner walked Becton through the football facility’s buffet line, approving his choices, monitoring his fat and carbohydrate intake. In the weight room, Becton cranked out an hour and a half of strength work, plus 45 minutes of cardio every day.

These were standard requirements for the 20-some players in Louisville’s weight-loss program — the texted photos, the cardio work. If a player neglected either, he had to do 25 up-downs as punishment. Every player slipped up that offseason — except Becton."

'His plan to Dominate the NFL' was 100% off the table when he showed up to camp overweight and out of shape. And we all know that tired players are more susceptible to injury ... only took Becton, what, 20 minutes of football into the season?  

The case can be made he's just taking the Jets for a ride. Been done a million times before in the NFL, but considering what his role is supposed to be for this team - it's problematic to say the least. He doesn't have any excuses in my book, maybe Douglas doesn't either for letting him slip into slobdom.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Dcat your avatar looks terrified

255890880_ohnoFlacco.thumb.jpg.f6a815d7e

I said last year that there was a non-zero chance that Flacco would retire rather than start after Darnold got hurt... well them odds are climbing lol.

He's like "I'm just here for free money, I don't want to break my leg playing for this."

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Good posts and this take is very prevalent on here. It's one of the reasons I barely even read the board anymore. It's filled with emotionally charged garbage with little insight. Not that fans aren't justified in being pissed off after a decade of trash performances, I just find no value in reading it.

Chill out.  We fans haven't turned on Mekhi yet.  We're just poking fun....   Behind Mekhi's back of course, we're not stupid.

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, Warfish said:

Has a very solid rookie year.

Has some reported trouble in camp with our supposedly awesome elite free agent D-End (who himself got hurt and did piss all for this team this year, yet no one mocks....).

Gets hurt his second year in a way he couldn't have avoided (rolled up from behind).  

Entire Fanbase turns on him viscously and mocks him incessantly.

What a cancerous and hateful fanbase we are.  Seriously.

There are many people worth being frustrated with right now, it's hard to see an O-lineman who played very little before getting hurt in a way that could happen to ANY O-lineman as the core of this franchises problems, much less worthy of such hateful meanspirited derision. 

SMH.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:15 AM, slimjasi said:

The thing that pisses me off more than anything are the people blaming him for getting his leg rolled up on (like that can't happen to any OL on any play) and then connecting it to nagging injuries from a season ago? Now you have people saying he got hurt this year because he was overweight? Seriously? How?

It's just lazy, stupid commentary. At least half of the mouth breathers in this fanbase deserve this garbage team, tbh. 

I have not seen 1 poster here, NOT ONE, that has "blamed" Becton for his initial injury. If I'm wrong, please refer me to who is angry at him for "getting rolled up on from behind", but as you keep stating this as fact, the burden falls upon you to substantiate your claim.

That being said, what people ARE pissed at is that the guy turned a 6 week injury into a lost season, and in the process, blew up to 400lbs or so (per many reports, and as seen in his infamous "hoodie picture ") while apparently making the coaching and training staff concerned with his dedication and work ethic in his rehab process. 

It doesn't help his case that his rep in college was more in line with what we got in 2021 than in his rookie year, and the only time he has shown any dedication  to fitness and training was after his College Coach challenged him personally to get his sh*t together....and MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and Generational Wealth were on the line in the draft. 

Even in his "solid" rookie year, he tapped out more than any O lineman I have ever seen, apparently because of conditioning issues. 

These are all MASSIVE red flags, and his having rabbit ears and getting defensive over Twitter comments from the peanut gallery doesn't help. 

Bottom line, you guys are inventing a narrative and being super dramatic about it. "Vicious"?  "Hateful"? Stop it. 

Dude needs to strap up, act like a professional,  and do the job he gets paid millions to do. He's played about 40% of the games he should have been available for, he has a history of being overweight, and word out of the facility is that he wasn't exactly a paradigm in his rehab (Unlike Lawson, who is a ******* animal).

Maybe he should take a break from twitch streaming Video Games and save his career, but nobody WANTS the guy to fail. We're just worried that's where he's trending. 

Every other team drafts o Linemen in the First Round and gets safe picks and guys that last 15 years in the league.....we go OT at 11 and get Baby Huey. We're annoyed. 

Viscious and Hateful? Cancerous? Lighten up, Francis. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have not seen 1 poster here, NOT ONE, that has "blamed" Becton for his initial injury. If I'm wrong, please refer me to who is angry at him for "getting rolled up on from behind", but as you keep stating this as fact, the burden falls upon you to substantiate your claim.

That being said, what people ARE pissed at is that the guy turned a 6 week injury into a lost season, and in the process, blew up to 400lbs or so (per many reports, and as seen in his infamous "hoodie picture ") while apparently making the coaching and training staff concerned with his dedication and work ethic in his rehab process. 

It doesn't help his case that his rep in college was more in line with what we got in 2021 than in his rookie year, and the only time he has shown any dedication  to fitness and training was after his College Coach challenged him personally to get his sh*t together....and MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and Generational Wealth were on the line in the draft. 

Even in his "solid" rookie year, he tapped out more than any O lineman I have ever seen, apparently because of conditioning issues. 

These are all MASSIVE red flags, and his having rabbit ears and getting defensive over Twitter comments from the peanut gallery doesn't help. 

Bottom line, you guys are inventing a narrative and being super dramatic about it. "Vicious"?  "Hateful"? Stop it. 

Dude needs to strap up, act like a professional,  and do the job he gets paid millions to do. He's played about 40% of the games he should have been available for, he has a history of being overweight, and word out of the facility is that he wasn't exactly a paradigm in his rehab (Unlike Lawson, who is a ******* animal).

Maybe he should take a break from twitch streaming Video Games and save his career, but nobody WANTS the guy to fail. We're just worried that's where he's trending. 

Every other team drafts o Linemen in the First Round and gets safe picks and guys that last 15 years in the league.....we go OT at 11 and get Baby Huey. We're annoyed. 

Viscious and Hateful? Cancerous? Lighten up, Francis. 

Holy novel 

I’d recommend you heed your own advice, Francis. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ironic, after that screed.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Holy novel 

I’d recommend you heed your own advice, Francis. 

Fair point. Here's the shorter version. You guys are full of sh*t. Nobody here is "Vicious,  cancerous or hateful" towards Mekhi.  Have a great day! ? ? ? 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1