What if Corona hits a team hard?

Wondering if the virus hit a team or two hard and they lose 20-30% of the players during the season what happens? Play on with who you have? Forfeit game or two to recover. Does league shut down. This could really get crazy. 

This is what I was thinking about also.  Imagine if an NFL player god forbid dies in the middle of the season from it.  How can you justify to players that they are safe to keep playing? 

I assume all teams are going to be testing guys like crazy to prevent something like this from happening - which could become controversial depending on what the overall landscape and availability at testing are like at that point. 

Flip side here is that most players don’t have the co-morbidities that put them at risk of serious illness. These are young, elite athletes. And imagine team physicians know the guys who are at more risk and may do a little extra to protect the. So players could get sick and it may spread quickly - but other illnesses spread through teams so it’s not completely unique in that regard. Would be a very public eye opener if someone became seriously ill though.

• Upvote 3

What happens when a team member gets the Flu or any other disease? They stay away and get better. Considering that these athletes aren't old or in poor health (well maybe some linemen are) and have health top notch medical care I'm thinking they'll be fine, and at worst receive the care they require if they do get sick. They'll be tested for body temperature everyday going in if not being tested by an actual corona test by then. Particularly by the time the seasons starts. Yes, I know some people have a story about an outlier who doesn't fit the profile as being at high risk. NY has also presented data showing that the majority, 66%, of cases have come from people self quarantining and staying inside. So hiding really isn't doing too much apparently besides tanking the economy and maybe making things worse even if at a slower pace.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Yes they play with what they have.

No different than having your star QB get mono and your defensive leader have a season-ending injury.

It doesn't matter if you lose 20% of your roster or just two essential players, your chances of winning just went down the tubes.  Suck it up and go recruiting at Shop-Rite for the next Sunday . . .

You joking right? It is different. Mono isnt some new virus sweeping the planet earth killing hundreds of thousands of people. Neither is a damn season ending injury..The league should shut down immediately.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

What happens when a team member gets the Flu or any other disease? They stay away and get better. Considering that these athletes aren't old or in poor health (well maybe some linemen are) and have health top notch medical care I'm thinking they'll be fine, and at worst receive the care they require if they do get sick. They'll be tested for body temperature everyday going in if not being tested by an actual a corona test by then. Particularly by the time the seasons starts. Yes, I know some people have a story about an outlier who doesn't fit the profile as being at high risk. NY has also presented data showing that the majority, 66%, of cases have come from people self quarantining and staying inside. So hiding really isn't doing too much apparently besides tanking the economy and maybe making things worse even if at a slower pace.

Quarantining is not about "fixing" the issue.  It's about slowing the amount of people having to use medical facilities and overwhelming the ability of medical staff to save lives.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

IF one player gets COVID the season is done...…...the NFL sounds like Bagdad Bob recently with their plans for a full 16 game season

the league has contingency plans for it's contingency plans

The league is operating as if it will play a full season, but it has contingency plans:

"If the season is delayed the league is prepared to fit in a full 16-game schedule by potentially pushing back the playoffs and the Super Bowl (which is currently scheduled for February 7) by weeks or months."

"Every team's Week 2 opponent has the same bye week, so if the beginning of the season is delayed, Week 2 matchups could be rescheduled during bye weeks and the season can be played without giving teams any breaks (though that move may be unpopular with players)."

"Since divisional games are essential to playoff seeding, they are the last games the league wants to cancel. ... This year, there are nine divisional games in Week 1 and six in Week 2, but zero in Weeks 3 and 4. ... If the NFL is forced to cancel games, Weeks 3 and 4 may be cancelled first."

• Upvote 1

I am not an expert, but for so long as those who were exposed before are somewhat immune, we have seen the worst of the disease.   

What we have seen through March and April is a population with zero exposure getting infected.  By the time September rolls around, a significant portion of the country will have already been infected, so those people don't get it or spread it, hopefully.   That is the herd immunity concept which makes sense so long as you are willing to bury the people who get the disease while you are immunizing the herd.  

The NFL and other sports are huge businesses, and they need to come back.  But the teams and players need to make hard choices, and all available technology and medical strategies and testing need to be employed to monitor these risks.   I worry about the players, coaches and staff going home to a wife and kids who are out and about.   I think what makes the press is an older coach who gets it.   I don't think someone like Andy Reid does well with COVID-19.  

The NBA players in particular were out and about.  I think that is really where the rubber meets the road.  The single players need to lock down during season.   I think the "points of contact" a typical single professional athlete has are pretty substantial.  If these guys are going out and then going back to the facility, that is where the problems will come from.  

For what these guys make for 20 or so weeks of work, I would be happy to move into a sterilized hotel.  

If a single player gets sick, things will continue.  If a full team gets sick, they'll shut the league down.  If a single player dies, they'll feel the repercussions of the decision to play longer than they did for the JFK assassination decision.

I believe the NFL will develop helmet inserts with full facial protection, the acrylic visor extended from forehead to chin.  That should stop much of the potential transmission.

SAR I

Half the team probably already had it and doesn't know it.   Whenever teams report, i suspect every player, coach and everyone working in Florham Park will not only tested for the virus, they will get the antibody test as well.

• Upvote 3

The NFL knows that there can be no season until there is a cure and / or vaccine, or some miracle to protect everyone from others spit and sweat. Football players (and other sport players) are exchanging saliva and sweat constantly with "droplets" flying all over the place. I would venture to guess that some of those droplets could possibly even take a ride on the wind and make their way into the stands - should they be dumb enough to allow fans in them. Unless the NFL uniform this year is some type of space suit, I see no way the NFL, or any sport operates besides maybe baseball which is non contact with the players spaced far enough apart from each other during play. In all sports, the dugouts, sidelines and locker rooms are all an issue where masks would have to be worn, however, you can't have everyone wearing masks while running around playing a sport LOL. I find masks ultra uncomfortable to just walk around in generally, let alone play high energy sports in. I feel as though I am breathing my own CO2 every time I wear one.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but we have to be realistic here. They are keeping office workers home for months, gyms closed for months, barber shops, bars, restaurants, and other businesses closed for months, but they are supposed to allow NFL training camps to operate freely in 90 days during this?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Are they going to constantly test the players? If not, much like a minor head injury, players will hide minor CV symptoms to stay in the field. Remember, these are elite athletes likely with great immune systems so the likelihood of one them getting really sick is low.

A guy like BB might intentionally infect all of his players on the first practice day to get it out of the way.

34 minutes ago, peebag said:

Quarantining is not about "fixing" the issue.  It's about slowing the amount of people having to use medical facilities and overwhelming the ability of medical staff to save lives.

I'm well aware which is why I said as the last line it's just slowing the pace. If I thought quarantine was a cure or fixing the issue I wouldn't be advocating for them to play. I also pointed out that according to NY 66% of their cases came from people who went into isolation cause they were told to by government as a blanket precaution. Ironically the isolation may have made things worse and caused more people to be admitted than would have been. I think it's pretty clear I'm not of the camp that quarantine is a cure or even a good idea. Whereas I do believe that social distancing, within reason, is good.    

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Are they going to constantly test the players? If not, much like a minor head injury, players will hide minor CV symptoms to stay in the field. Remember, these are elite athletes likely with great immune systems so the likelihood of one them getting really sick is low.

A guy like BB might intentionally infect all of his players on the first practice day to get it out of the way.

If you are a Patriot player and you get an envelope in the mail from Ernie Adams...don't open it.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

They’ll test them over and over. They won’t be able to hide anything. 

Now there is even a multi-system inflammatory disease being found in kids.  85 cases in all.

Chicago, NY, Seattle, LA, Philly, Boston, D.C., Lousiana, Delaware.

8 of those cities have NFL and other sports teams.

I have serious doubts there will be school in the fall.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Now there is even a multi-system inflammatory disease being found in kids.  85 cases in all.

Chicago, NY, Seattle, LA, Philly, Seattle, Boston, Lousiana, Delaware.

7 of those cities have NFL and other sports teams.

I am not even sure there will be school in the fall.  

bubble boy lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videossoccer GIF

There will be school in the fall. You can't protect everyone from everything. Thousands of people die every day due to a variety of reasons beyond their control you just don't hear about it unless the msm decides it can make money off of it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I know this virus is hitting you guys very hard up there.  The rest of the country, not so much.

Saw a stat yesterday, can't remember the exact #'s but it was in the area of, between NJ, NY, and Mass, which is about 11% of the population, has accounted for over 65% of the infections.

Most of the country at this point wants to get on with their lives.  Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I know this virus is hitting you guys very hard up there.  The rest of the country, not so much.

Saw a stat yesterday, can't remember the exact #'s but it was in the area of, between NJ, NY, and Mass, which is about 11% of the population, has accounted for over 65% of the infections.

Most of the country at this point wants to get on with their lives.  Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Lol. Unfortunately things aren’t happening in a bubble. 

• Upvote 3