So why can't Cam Newton find a job?

Ok now i read it. Nothing much about him being a trouble maker. They focused on his injuries which i dont believe is the case.

the guy is an a hole. He is full of himself. Im sure he wants WAY too much money and refuses to take less. Im also sure there are lots of behind the scenes gossip going on about what an ass he is. Him, kap and that steelers wr are out of work for a reason and I applaud it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Old.  Past peak.  History of selfish behavior.  Thinks he's worth more than he is.  All rebuilding teams already have young quarterbacks.

Cam is someone who thinks he's a starter and, by current NFL definition, he's not.  He will get a job.  Happens every year, someone's starter will go down in camp and he'll be 2020's Teddy Bridgewater.

SAR I

Rare these days that I agree with SAR, but well, here you go.  +1

The combination of fast-declining skills, physical abuse/injuries, and demands for #1 jobs and huge money.....it's just not going to fly.  Flacco is a good example of how to stay working in the league once your prime is behind you.  If Cam (or Kap for that matter) was willing to take a #2/#3 job/money, they'd both be employed today.      

• Haha 1

I've always thought his throwing motion was just so uncomfortable to look at.  When he was in his prime, he could compensate for the balky motion through his unparalleled, raw athletic ability -- the same  athletic ability that allowed him to just plow the **** over people.  But now that that has waned, and his injuries are mounting, his throwing deficiencies have gotten exposed and he's not as able to assert himself in the run game.  In his mind, though, he probably thinks he's still the same guy.  So he's holding out for a real legitimate shot at being a starter (if not being signed as the presumptive starter).

All that said, I think he'll get a job before the season starts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If Baker Mayfield had a few really good years and then had a number of injuries that hurt his arm strength and made him less mobile I think many teams would be leery of bringing him as a backup. 

Some guys just aren't made to be backup QBs. Cam even suggested early on that he would not want to be a backup. 

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think part of it is Cam simply isn't a plug and play QB into every system in the NFL.  Can has a very unique skill set, and to get the most out of his skills, you can't simply plug him into the same playbook as a guy who just sits back and throws from the pocket.

I'll tell ya the team that should sign him is Buffalo.  Makes too much sense.  Good team with a question mark at QB.  If Allen falters, you can plug in Newton and run the same offense with the same dynamic Allen had.

Re: Buffalo 

its actually too perfect but Cam seems to be unwilling to be QB2

• Upvote 4

Pats will not sign Cam. They looking to tank for Trevor.  Unlike Macc, BB knows how to tank. Possibly the Redskins would be a good fit. Owner loves making splash moves and Haskins is highly questionable and could use some grooming time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I always felt he was one of the most overrated players in recent memory.
He was only good one year (in fact only great for about eight games that season), and even then if you watched tape the successes were largely off bad decisions (eg tds of jump balls into double coverage)

He is one of the greatest running qbs in history but that’s only a small fraction of what makes a good qb and he’s lackluster in most other domains.  Eg he makes terrible decisions, is innacurate, doesn’t have a great mental and is a poor leader.  Now with the injuries, it’s hard to see if he’s even starting viable.

I remember thinking when the media was busy kissing his ass that they had it upside down..  that the really amazing running qb at the time was Russel Wilson who’s tape was just many levels beyond, but was stuck with a terrible supporting cast.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Pats will not sign Cam. They looking to tank for Trevor.

They're more likely to sign Cam than tank, but I really don't see them doing either. 

I don't think Cam is an NFL starter anymore, and I wouldn't want his personality on my team as a backup. I don't know where that leaves him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

My guess is he wants the right situation.  And teams are still stuck on whether his foots okay and if he can survive another season upright.  Mariota is willing to be a backup to get to another shot. Newton's like, "Somebody'going to go down in pre season.  Then I'll get my shot."  I honestly thought the Pats or Chargers would bring him in.  Anthony Lynn was talking up Easton Stick... I'm like ,"Uhhhh.  Easton Stick?!" 

This is a tough time to be a veteran quarterback.  There just arent as many open positions due to the influx of young QB talent around the league.  I do think Cam is a better QB option than some of the starters out there, provided he is fully healthy.  I think he can do as good a job for SF as Jimmy G has done, i think he can certainly be better than Trubisky in CHI.  Outside of that what other teams are looking for QBs?  In truth obviously SF looks at Jimmy G as thier guy so really the only teams that have QB comps going on would be CHI and prob JAX. Everywhere else there is either an established starter or young qb the franchise is banking on. 

He has to read the room and take a backup job even though i do think he can start and be successful, he's just never going to be a top 10 guy in the league, and truthfully no one wants to pay the amount he wants to be a below top 10 talent at the position.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jmat321 said:

Same reason as Kaep, he sucks and wants to be paid like a starter.  Lamar Jackson will be in the same boat in 5-10 years.

This is an interesting point in regards to Jackson.  I think Jackson greatly improved as a passer last year in terms of his ability to throw.  His throwing motion was refined, his mechanics got better, his overall vision got better.  It's a real credit to him as a player and to the staff in Balt working with him and easing him into his development.  

Now the question is what does he do this year, arguably the best cast he's had around him, he has to develop even more as a passer.  The real test to me will be if Greg Roman gets a HC job in the next few years.  He has a track record now of developing these dual threat QB's and creating an offense where they can thrive. Kaeps drop off came after Roman was gone. I dont think its a coincidence that he had his best years under Roman, then immediately after he leaves at the end of the 2014 season Kaeps numbers nose dive.  So I'm also really interested to see Jackson if he continues to develop, what happens when Roman leaves.. Does he stay on track and prove he's the player many think he can be, or is his success largely due to Greg Roman?  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Because he's a cheating Auburn bastage!

43 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You bas*ard, you beat me to it. lol Roll Tide

Funny, I had the same thought.  Well, except for the Roll Tide part.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, slats said:

They're more likely to sign Cam than tank, but I really don't see them doing either. 

I don't think Cam is an NFL starter anymore, and I wouldn't want his personality on my team as a backup. I don't know where that leaves him. 

Right, sort of like Kaepernick.  He might be better as a starter than many backups (obviously than David Fales), but he isn't the kind of guy everybody will want on their team as a backup.  Maybe that is unconscoius bias or racially motivated to an extent, but I think Cutler fell/falls in the same demographic.  When somebody needs a starter to try to save their job, they will sign him.  I think the current situation and inability to work out for teams isn't helping, but that he will get something if he wants it.