Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Several tanking examples have to do with calling off the dogs when a key player gets hurt.  Play the young guys and let the chips fall where they may rather than aggressively trying to improve the team to make up for the loss of the injured player.  I'm sure the Spurs could have traded away future assets for a veteran player to make up for Robinson's absence, if they had chosen to do so.

The 2011 Colts only sucked because of Peyton's injury, yes.  But the Colts could have also gone and signed a veteran QB to try to win a few games.  In fact they tried that initially by signing Kerry Collins.  But then he got a concussion, so they rolled with Curtis Painter the rest of the way en route to 2-14.

Seasons don't necessarily START as a tank, but they can certainly head in that direction based on early results.

If I remember correctly there wasn't a hell of a lot of options available after Collins went down, as you would expect during a midseason injury. They also went on a mini streak at the end, if memory serves. 

Signing Kyle Orton may have won them just enough, maybe it wouldn't, but still would YOU sign Kyle Orton under those circumstances to win an extra game or two to screw yourself out of a generational prospect?

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its nothing more than total cliche to make this kind of statement and apply it to this team as if its real.  No QB, none could elevate the play of the dreck we have at WR, behind this OL and with the support of these RBs into a unit that could move the ball with any consistency, never mind to put enough points on the board to make this team competitive.  No QB is carrying this team on their back.  Its not a thing and something no QB should be asked to do, never mind a 23 year old 2nd and now 3rd year QB with less than 2 full seasons of experience.  Hampered by a HC who cant even begin to call a game.

You are severely short changing the lack of talent and what it means to this QB and team

Meh.  Can’t miss open WRs in this league, and make boneheaded mistakes in EVERY game. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The better he looks the more obvious it is that he’s gonna be a Falcon.

..i hope we ( the jets ) can get him but, if not,..i hope he goes to the falcons. my Latest Future X-boyfriend has a buddy who has tix to ALL the atlanta falcons home games.

cheers ~ ~

:wine: 

There is a really big additional benefit for being dead last in the league, that being getting the 1st pick in each round.  Huge advantage as you move down the board.  So yeah getting Lawrence is nice but it also means you might get that Wr or olineman or Rb you really like at the top of round 2.

• Upvote 1

RE: Tanking (which I do not believe in)

So let's take the leap of faith that the team wants to do this and decides that the resultant loss of revenues, damage to culture and diminution of brand value will be offset by the benefit of increasing the possibility acquiring a can't miss prospect (which I also do not believe in). On the face, a disasterous business decision. 

The only way to do this is through purposely reducing the quality of coaching and the product put on the field, al la the Indians from the movie Major League

However there is no possible way the players themselves would try to lose games. They are, if nothing else playing for their professional lives. Underperform and NFL stands for Not For Long. No one would ever give up money and career so a team could tank. No one, ever.

The whole idea is insulting to me as a fan. So if this is indeed the truth about the team, fine. In that case I want to see Willie Mays Hayes steal bases, Wild Thing find his control and Raul Serrano stop relying on Jobu. (expeltive deleted) the Tank.

May any team management in any sport that evens consider tanking be (expletive deleted) in the (expletive deleted) in (expletive deleted) for eternity 

51 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You do realize we have been a more successful franchise than Atlanta, don’t you?

They've been to 2 Super Bowls since 1998.  They also won 3 division titles in the 2010's, out of a pretty tough division.  Arthur Blank is a solid Owner, too.

So.....No, we're not.

5 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If I remember correctly there wasn't a hell of a lot of options available after Collins went down, as you would expect during a midseason injury. They also went on a mini streak at the end, if memory serves. 

Signing Kyle Orton may have won them just enough, maybe it wouldn't, but still would YOU sign Kyle Orton under those circumstances to win an extra game or two to screw yourself out of a generational prospect?

Believe me #SuckforLuck was a very real operation in full effect. It was hilarious to watch at the time as a Jets fan living in Indy. 

Watching the Colts fans pretend to support their team but not show up to games while Painter was playing. The local news was doing everything it could to make it seem the team and fans were serious about the season. I would say the stadium was barely at 40% capacity that season. 

In hindsight not as funny when watching our team/fans do the exact same thing. Sucks really. 

48 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

RE: Tanking (which I do not believe in)

So let's take the leap of faith that the team wants to do this and decides that the resultant loss of revenues, damage to culture and diminution of brand value will be offset by the benefit of increasing the possibility acquiring a can't miss prospect (which I also do not believe in). On the face, a disasterous business decision. 

Yes. Wouldn't want to ruin this culture of winning that we've been cultivating for the last 50 years.

I’m sure it’s been said already in this thread but this makes me scared.  It scares me that the tank is intentional and that whatever Johnson is in charge is going to keep Gase because they knew the tank was on purpose.  

I think that is highly possible. I also think that a call from Manning to Lawrence to convince him to come out and play for Gase also may be in the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

48 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I think that is highly possible. I also think that a call from Manning to Lawrence to convince him to come out and play for Gase also may be in the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They can't sell tickets next year if Gase is the head coach. He is hated.

It is for that reason, that he is out.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

They can't sell tickets next year if Gase is the head coach. He is hated.

It is for that reason, that he is out.

If Trevor Lawrence is the QB they'll sell plenty.

Now, if Trevor Lawrence is the QB it means we probably went 0-16 or 1-15 - still can't imagine him coming back in that case.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They've been to 2 Super Bowls since 1998.  They also won 3 division titles in the 2010's, out of a pretty tough division.  Arthur Blank is a solid Owner, too.

So.....No, we're not.

Yes, we are. We won one Super Bowl and made two AFC championship games since 2010 and one in 98. They haven't won any (that's enough of a difference - isn't winning Super Bowls the barometer). Also, they lost in the worst possible way by choking a Super Bowl. The 98 Super Bowl they had no chance to win and we beat them 28-3 that year. The Jets and Denver were much better teams in that same year. The actual Super Bowl was in the AFC Championship game. No contest IMO.