Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

Rhg1084

6 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He ran a 4.6 at the combine, that's slow and that was 6 years ago. Vision and cuts is how he made his living.

Yes, so if he was already slow, and there’s no question he’s slower than he was - that 4.6 is now probably 4.8 it’s devastating. 

More importantly...

His 10 yard split is a better barometer for a RB.   We’re talking about here on ”burst” which was 1.57 which is pretty good.  That burst, more than anything else, is gone.

Seriously go watch tape of him from Pittsburg and then watch the Jets tape - basically simultaneously and you’ll see two different levels of burst.  

If you want to believe he sucks solely because Gase is a bad coach, so be it. 

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

The only time I remember it legitimately working is when the Spurs tanked for Tim Duncan. They won a title his rookie year and went on to win 4 more. 

I mean if you have a shot at a possible generational player you almost gotta do it, no? 

The Penguins did it for Lemieux and I’d say that one worked out pretty ******* well.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Teams tank every year it's just that some here don't pay attention to the rest of the league.

The dolphins literally traded away every good player on their roster just last year.

well then they failed because they won 5 games.  at some point tanking becomes counterproductive.

• Upvote 1

stop with the nonsense-gase and joe had no master plan -they both suck something awful -the sooner the jets see this the sooner we can move on.

Was it part of joes master plan to throw away millions of dollars on guys like perriman and griffin among others?

Was it part of the master plan to draft one guy that contributed to our team? Was it part of the master plan to waste a draft pick on a qb that will never see the field?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

imagine sucking so bad at your job and trying to convince your boss it is all part of the big picture....

The only thing is...Sucking right now will actually be a HUGE benefit to the team.  It's not a mythical situation. 

Lawrence is an incredible prospect and is, by far, the best thing this team could do to turn the fortunes of this franchise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

stop with the nonsense-gase and joe had no master plan -they both suck something awful -the sooner the jets see this the sooner we can move on.

Was it part of joes master plan to throw away millions of dollars on guys like perriman and griffin among others?

Was it part of the master plan to draft one guy that contributed to our team? Was it part of the master plan to waste a draft pick on a qb that will never see the field?

I must say I believe it is and was always part of their master plan to suck this year.  

I doubt they believed it would be this bad and certainly weren't tanking for TL, but they knew they were putting garbage on the field this year - and were tearing this down with the intent of starting a full-on rebuild next year with a clean slate.  

To me, it was obvious all off-season what JD was doing.

Now, if they can land Lawrence that rebuild they were planning gets a HUGE kick-start.  I'm sure they understand that too and, at this point, should only help the process along to locking him up.

I don’t think that the Jets went into FA intending to tank.  

The Jets have a lot of cap space now, but it did not look that rosy during FA.  I also think that the Johnsons did not encourage JD to overspend.   Darnold improved in 2019 from 2018 and looked ok at the end of the season.  

But my guess is that the Johnsons did not want to guarantee flakey but harmless Robby a lot of money, and they all agreed that, given the COVID empty stadium, schedule and Mosley out, they were better off taking Seattle’s picks than keeping Adams.  

They did not get a handle on the injuries.  That and Gase’ offensive incompetence sunk the season.   Now I am keeping Darnold and Becton on the shelf and tanking. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Lawrence is in the best college football program in the country. A lot of their success is because of him but they won a lot without him even with non NFL caliber QBs like Tajh Boyd. If he was on Georgia Tech instead of Clemson would he be that successful. 

Stop. He’s legit.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Lawrence is in the best college football program in the country. A lot of their success is because of him but they won a lot without him even with non NFL caliber QBs like Tajh Boyd. If he was on Georgia Tech instead of Clemson would he be that successful. 

He can consistently make incredible throws.  He would be fine.  Comparing him to Tajh Boyd is actually insulting to other people’s intelligence.

• Post of the Week 2

36-70 for 51%,  493 yards (246 yards per game) 2 tds in the two playoff games last year.  5 ints in his first three games last year vs Geo tech, Syracuse and texas A&M.

If Lawrence is the sure fire franchise  can't miss guy he needs to light it up in the playoffs this year.

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Colts didn't tank for Luck. It's revisionist history to make the means match the ends & is one of the league's great fairy tales. 

FFS they'd just given Manning a new contract that summer, cut nobody, jettisoned no one away for draft picks before the trade deadline, and even signed a veteran starting QB in August - the only one available - to hopefully keep them in the hunt until Manning returned. They ultimately went back to their 4th QB in picking up Orlovsky, but the team liked Painter better before that: he & Collins made the roster & Orlovsky didn't. It's not like Orlovsky - who sucked himself - had ever QB'd a winning game in the NFL before that; he hadn't. Their OL sucked: they had a rookie LT who missed 1/3 of the season, mostly playing next to a rookie LG, an over-promoted a RT (not like the Jets haven't done this plenty since y2k), a has-been RG whose career was over after 2011, and 36 year-old Jeff Saturday in the middle. Their defensive captain / MLB went on IR after 1 game and never played again. Their starting SS a week later (and also never played again). Manning didn't go on IR until after they'd gone to Orlovsky. 

Manning's neck injury was already known when they extended him on July 31st but they thought he'd be on the field that year. Nobody team to tank for a QB extends their veteran QB with a $100MM contract if they truly think he's going to miss the season after which they're going to dump him. Then in their home stretch at 0-13 they won 2 games that put that #1 pick in jeopardy, followed by every indication they were trying to win the final game in the end which would have sealed losing it. A tanking team never would have replaced the 0-8 Painter at all. His first few starts he wasn't great but we've seen far worse. Then he - and the D in particular - both hit the wall & collapsed. 

You can't get over 50 players + coaches in on a conspiracy and then get them to keep their mouths shut after they were cut/fired for their cooperation. It's lazy thinking, or lack of thinking. Sometimes teams just suck -- it happens every year without exception, and every team that sucks isn't trying to suck on purpose.

What the Jets are doing this year looks like a far more obvious tank job for the season, by a wide margin, over the 2011 Colts. Just like 2017, except the team won a few more games than planned.

I don’t remember all the details of that colts season but as the injuries and bad luck piled up, it seemed most fans shifted into tank mode....totally different from a planned tank.

I wholeheartedly agree that organizationally you can’t pull off a tank...management might want to do it, might even take the steps needed to do so, but players and coaches do not tank.  One needs to simply watch the movie Major League for proof!

I despise the idea/thought of tanking anyway.  It’s not the honorable way to go about it.  Plan, coach, play your best and let the chips fall where they may.

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I’m not doing this to myself. I can’t get excited for a player this early. The Jets will F it up somehow. They’re gonna win useless games. 

If Mims and Perimen come back 100% with Darnold and this defense turns into last years defense they could easily beat the Dolphins, Raiders, and Chargers. We forget the Jets destroyed the Raiders last year.