Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

You would rather have Marvin "I can't and won't ever win a playoff game" Lewis??

Not Marvin per se. But for crying out loud we've seen this movie before. It's too hit or miss. Is it that hard to hire a head coach who's had success building a solid program?

I guess i'm asking for too much

We'll probably be back at talking about the firing/ hiring of a coach in 2 - 3 years.

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yea!!! He has like 7 aliases GreekJet being a recent one . Strawberry fields , Atticus Gase. 

I just signed up to respond to this.

1- I have 0 aliases.  I have not posted here since I got banned.

2 - I still have 0 clue why I was banned.

3- Can I be unbanned?  Im not posting unless its under Joe W. Namath.  I still read the site all the time but have to go into private browsing to do so.  

Lets let bygones be bygones and fire Joe W up again.  My guy is about to be our HC.  Lets go!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

Not trying to be a cynic here, and not saying Shanahan's endorsement isn't genuine, but I gotta think the 49ers will be delighted to see Saleh get hired as HC.

As a Lebanese American, Saleh would count as a minority hire, so the 49ers would get a compensatory 3rd round pick in each of 2021 and 2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

That's neither here nor there and largely just a personality thing.  It might actually float some players' boats and be a good thing.  I'm more interested in what kind of coach he could be.  His animation on the sidelines is secondary although having a head coach stand on the sidelines like a cigar-store native American (Bowles) or sit in a corner in total isolation and study his play chart (Gase) was NOT a good thing either.

while I want a guy who is in control and disciplined I also want to see a little fire and passion again after years of Bowles & Gase.....Rex was all animation on the sideline but he was a great coach from a defensive standpoint, it was his failure to deal properly with the offense that ultimately did for him but not before we got to within a game of 2 SB’s.

If Salah has the necessary chops to be a head coach of the ENTIRE team while holding everyone else to account and demanding the best as well as being a teacher and coach then I’m all for it 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Rip Torn was really Patches O'houlihan.  He was still getting into bars fights well into his eighties and breaking into banks he thought were his house because he was drunk.  There was nothing "well adjusted" about the man.  God bless his memory.

100%. Was my fav on The Larry Sanders Show, though it certainly had no shortage of talent all over the place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I like him, but we haven't had pressure off the edge in 15 years which his system requires to really work. Not sure how we're going to find it all of a sudden now

Well, pretty much any defense requires a pass rusher.

So, no one's defense will work here.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

while I want a guy who is in control and disciplined I also want to see a little fire and passion again after years of Bowles & Gase.....Rex was all animation on the sideline but he was a great coach from a defensive standpoint, it was his failure to deal properly with the offense that ultimately did for him but not before we got to within a game of 2 SB’s.

If Salah has the necessary chops to be a head coach of the ENTIRE team while holding everyone else to account and demanding the best as well as being a teacher and coach then I’m all for it 

I like this take very much, though its brevity rubs me the wrong way somehow. Who cares if he is appropriately asskissy in an interview? Bowles is probably the most polite MFer the league has seen in decades. I'm ****ing polite & asskissy in an interview (Mr. Hyde appears later).

If he's not oblivious to what goes on outside his expertise silo, and its a smart guy & personable enough with the players (but not verbally spooning them when they **** up), then by all means hire him. 

Pederson was my 1st choice because IMO there's no substitute for experience (or more correctly, experience that has resulted in the highest success possible), but I've little doubt JD conducted an unofficial talk/interview with his buddy on the phone before he released his statement about taking a year off. So that option aside, from all accounts Saleh seems like a top guy we'd be lucky to have.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Not trying to be a cynic here, and not saying Shanahan's endorsement isn't genuine, but I gotta think the 49ers will be delighted to see Saleh get hired as HC.

As a Lebanese American, Saleh would count as a minority hire, so the 49ers would get a compensatory 3rd round pick in each of 2021 and 2022.

Not sure how the NFL does it but there’s no Arabic option when applying for jobs/ on the census etc so he's probably considered white and they’d get no picks 

55 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Would be a major mistake to fly this guy in and let him leave without a contract. 

no worries !  ?..i picked him up/drove him from the airport. if he gets back into my car.. 

giphy.gif

...without having signed a contract with us ( the jets ), i'll just drive around & bring him right back to our gm   ?

cheers ~ ~ 

:wine: 

19 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Is it that hard to hire a head coach who's had success building a solid program?

You are.  How many successful coaches with HCing experience building a team from the bottom up are running around jobless?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Not Marvin per se. But for crying out loud we've seen this movie before. It's too hit or miss. Is it that hard to hire a head coach who's had success building a solid program?

We'll probably be back at talking about the firing/ hiring of a coach in 2 - 3 years.

Thats possible, but I like Saleh's energy. This generation of men need motivation.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

When Mangini first got here, there was a preseason game and he was all fired up. I remember him yelling at Schotty and I liked it. Not a huge fan of screaming, I think the Parcells style would come off as belittling players today. But hot damn can we at least have a pulse on the sidelines?

Somewhere in between Rex wanting to fist fight the other team and Bowles\Gase looking asleep there is a happy medium.

Energy, Saleh definitely brings that.

There was one game with Mangini against the Pats where I thought we found The One. All game, Bill and Eric were going back and forth trying to catch each other with 12 men on the field. Crazy substitutions, guys faking going in and coming back to sideline, it looked like a hockey line change all game. Eric got Bill once or twice and IIRC Bill didn't get Eric once. I thought to myself, "Finally, we have a smart HC."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

There was one game with Mangini against the Pats where I thought we found The One. All game, Bill and Eric were going back and forth trying to catch each other with 13 men on the field. It was like a chess match. Eric got Bill once or twice and IIRC Bill didn't get Eric once. I thought to myself, "Finally, we have a smart HC."

There were more than a few games where I thought we had the right guy too.