Keyshawn Johnson's daughter passes away

Prayers to Keyshawn Johnson and family. 

KEYSHAWN JOHNSONANNOUNCES DEATH OF DAUGHTER, MAIA... 'We Are Heartbroken'

3/15/2021 5:25 PM PT
0f8efcc8de234441b5aaa6e2a164cc10_md.jpg
BREAKING NEWS
Getty

Tragic news from Keyshawn Johnson ... the former NFL star receiver just announced his oldest daughter, Maia, has passed away. She was 25 years old.

"It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news about the passing of my beautiful Daughter Maia," Johnson said Monday.

"Maia, as my first born child, has been the joy of my, and her Mother Shikiri’s, life."

Maia was Johnson's first child with Shikiri Hightower, whom he was married to from 1998-2002. They also had a son, Keyshawn Jr., in 1998. Johnson also has two children with his current wife, Jennifer Conrad.

Johnson added ... "She came into our lives just as we were both coming of age as adults and has been a constant beloved presence for both of us."

b67df40e60be4742a818f5ef4e2a46a4_md.jpg

"We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss. Shikiri, Maia’s siblings, our family and me appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time."

No cause of death has been revealed publicly at this point.

Several of Keyshawn's current and former ESPN colleagues have shared their condolences following the announcement ... including Louis Riddick and Jemele Hill.

"I am so very sorry Keshawn." Riddick said on Twitter. "That is devastating and heartbreaking to hear. From my family to yours...our deepest and most sincere condolences brother.

Hill added ... "So very sorry for your loss."

RIP.

My daughter will one day I hope have to bury me. 

I could never live any longer having to bury my now 9 y.o daughter. I wouldn't be able to go on. 

A mother or father should never have to bury their child. it's our responsibility to bury our parents. 

I'm sorry Key. My heart hurts for you. Damn. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

13 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

My good buddy since childhood just lost his 19 yr old son to suicide

So sorry to hear that man.  Every parents worst nightmare.

We've all had a rough year in some way, shape or form but as adults we're somewhat better equipped to handle it I think .... but these kids are living in a very difficult and confusing world right now.  Sadly, suicide is not uncommon these days. Prayers to your friend and his family.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

So sorry to hear that man.  Every parents worst nightmare.

We've all had a rough year in some way, shape or form but as adults we're somewhat better equipped to handle it I think .... but these kids are living in a very difficult and confusing world right now.  Sadly, suicide is not uncommon these days. Prayers to your friend and his family.

Thanks for that,  His kid went to Stuyvesant and scored perfect on the math SAT.  The high school teachers complained he never did HW.  Kid was a genius.  Very sad.  I’m praying too

• Upvote 1

We don't know what happened, but as others have speculated, I'd just like to say that addiction and mental health are no joke. If you see or suspect your loved ones falling into either hell-hole, speak up. And hug your kids tonight. I gave all four of mine a longer than usual embrace. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I was thinking about Keyshawn earlier today. This is awful news. 

Damn.  When watching Corey Davis I was thinking about him too.  Such an underrated blocker as a WR. 

But yeah, this just puts it all into perspective.  :(

• Upvote 1