Darnold to the Panthers

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Typical Jets, reset button every few years.

Good for Sam. He's still got plenty of football ahead of him, he's young, and I wish him the best. He was a fun kid to root football. I glad I got to see him play one of his best games as a pro, in person.

I think JD had to make the move now. With the rumblings that he and the coaches are split, it's better to just end the speculation.

I like the idea of restarting the rookie contract window. The return is meh, but the upside is this - scouting this year was negatively impacted by covid. Next year, it'll be a more normal process. I don't mind getting next year's picks.

I'm not sold on Zach Wilson, tbh. Oh well. 

I agree with some of your frustration. The only difference this time...

1) JD seems to be a legit GM. When the Jets hired Izdik and Mac; people in the league crapped on it. With JD it was “wow, the Jets got JD”

2) We have a crap ton of premium picks the next two years to help with this rebuild. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Tranquilo said:

A 2nd and 4th next year is better than 2nd and 4th this year because we'll have a full college football season next year. Not to mention, it spreads out when rookie contracts are up.

Laughable and so wrong. If that were they case why not trade this years picks for next year? 

• WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

Macc's 2018 draft class.  lmao.

• 1.3:  QB Sam Darnold (traded after 3 seasons)
  • 3.72:  DT Nathan Shepherd (Now a 30 year old rotational DT)
  • 4.107:  TE Chris Herndon (TE who can't catch passes)
  • 6.179:  CB Parry Nickerson (appeared in 5 games for 2 different teams 2019-20)
  • 6.180:  DT Folorunso Fatukasi (Macc's 2nd best draft pick in his tenure)
  • 6.204:  RB Trenton Cannon (decent kick returner in Carolina)
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

How much sculpting clay or marble would I need for a statue of JD?  After the deal he pulled off trading Darnold, I might fly to Carrara and pick through one of Michelangelo's favorite quarries.

There was a seemingly decent push by the local and national media for the Jets to keep Darnold, even with the facts pointing to him being a poor QB. Douglas laying low and executing a move that had to be made should give Jet fans some confidence. I’m not sold on Wilson, but Douglas willing to move in from a mistake should give the fanbase some hope. The Jets had to select a quarterback in 2021.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

• 6.179:  CB Parry Nickerson (appeared in 5 games for 2 different teams 2019-20)

Macc was legit one of the worst drafters ever.

He was worse than Idzik due to how long he was here messing us up.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

A 2nd and 4th next year is better than 2nd and 4th this year because we'll have a full college football season next year. Not to mention, it spreads out when rookie contracts are up.

Tell yourself whatever you need to mate.

• Haha 1

Sam issued a statement as well - "I want to thank the Johnson's, all my teammates and the Jets fans for their support the last 3 years. While things didn't go the way we hoped they would have, I'm excited to join my new teammates in Carolina. The fact that they believe in me is pretty awesome and I'm stoked to be reunited with Robby and get to work down there. I'm going to head out to North Carolina after I'm done training with Jesse Palmer out here on the West Coast. I'm a little bummed that the stadium is so far from the ocean because I was hoping to get my boogie board on but it's just awesome and I look forward to the opportunity."

• Haha 3

So, can we imagine for a moment a scenario where this is actually a 2-stage trade.

Sam to Carolina now, for whatever those picks were. Then, when Carolina is on the clock there's a package in place to basically return those picks and give them #23 to move up to #8. Essentially making it Darnold + #23 for #8.

All contingent on Pitts being there for us or not.

20 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I'm not fond of the return! 6th and 4th round picks mean nothing, most of our second round picks do nothing.. so we gave Sam away for free 

Most of our picks do nothing, whatever round they are in! :D 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That mother****er missed on EVERY pick for 6 years. 

People joke about the Idzik 12, but Mac was exponentially worse.

Rex's greatest contribution to Jets history was the bullsh*t infighting and blaming that got him and Idzik fired.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

Because you want picks both years? Because other teams need to agree? What picks in which rounds? Wtf does this even mean?

You made the nonsensical comment that a 2nd rounder next year is worth more than one this year. I can guarantee you that JD would have much rather have gotten a 2nd this year. Now, you can argue that a 2nd next year is better than a 3rd this year for the reasons mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

At least the trade back crew can finally accept reality now 

You would think so wouldn't you. :-)

They won't.  

They'll be all kinds of thread on how they love Trey Lance and will trade down with Atlanta or how they're playing the long game and will bring in a vet for this year while they rebuild.

There are many, many people that will not accept that Zach Wilson will be the next QB of the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, QB1 said:

You made the nonsensical comment that a 2nd rounder next year is worth more than one this year. I can guarantee you that JD would have much rather have gotten a 2nd this year. Now, you can argue that a 2nd next year is better than a 3rd this year for the reasons mentioned.

So you rather have a 2nd rounder with less scouting, no combine, less workouts, etc. than one where you'll have all of that? What's the rush to make that pick this year?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yup.  Now he actually has to pick people who do something on the field.

So far literally the only thing JD has shown as GM is that he can trade players away for more picks (Quantity) than expected.

Maybe we should hold off on his parade till he fields at least a .500 team?  Maybe?  Food for thought.

• Post of the Week 1