Every Single Expert and Prognosticator

sam was considered an elite qb prospect coming out of college-all jet fans were thrilled to get him

unfortunately many qbs bust out -the question is why did they bust out and were they given the tools to succeed. 

Sam was put in a terrible situation-he had a terrible coaches, no offensive line , no wrs , no tight ends and no running back

It is possible that two things are true the talent around Sam was terrible and Sam is just not a good qb but I believe Sam was set up to fail and will be a very good qb in this league. If Sam goes on and becomes a very good or great player that is on Joe for letting him go-if Sam continues to under achieve then Joe was right to move on

The thing is Wilson is being set up to fail now as well-yes there is what we hope a better coach in place but as of now(maybe joe will draft great this time) Wilson is going to be standing behind a terrible line, have no real rb to hand the ball to , no viable tight end and an avg wr core with no stars 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, jbt said:

Flacco showed more last year, maybe should of kept him

Sam Darnold vs Pats: 23/34 266yds 1td 2ints

Joe Flacco vs Pats: 18/25 262 3tds 1int

Flacco was terrible. Darnold was terrible. Flacco was 0-4 with a worse completion pct than Darnold.  The big difference was that Flacco's career was done before he got to the Jets while Darnold's career was done because he was drafted by the Jets. 

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is acting like Sam Darnold is/was Dan Marino and the Jets have just been "holding him back".  Like I get it but, have these people watched a single game?  The kid NEVER progressed, he NEVER got better, he RARELY had flashes of brilliance...if we were really holding down Sam Darnold, perhaps he would have won a few games in spite of this horrible and horrific franchise--and he NEVER did it.

I wish the kid nothing but the best, he's a good kid and I hope he does great, honestly, but, this idea that we had John Elway on our roster and it was "all the Jets fault that he is a horrible QB" is really, really, really reaching.  It's bad and irresponsible.

Discuss.

Human beings are inherently lazy. This goes double for the media class. 2020/2021 is all the proof you should need. So these clowns pile on the easy take wagon and remain in the safe zone. Everyone prospers and gets laughs when flaming the NY Jets. It really is sad to see the way content is distributed to the public, more so than that is the way the plebs slurp it down as if it is original and authentic. 

• Upvote 1

Darnold was an excellent prospect coming out of college there is no doubt that the Jets ruined him. We gave him one of the worst offensive lines in football, some of the worst weapons in football and changed his coaching staff every season. We went from in inanimate head coach to a coach who believed his system was more important than any players talent. I hope darnold finds a great deal of success with the panthers and I hope we learn from this blunder and provide zach wilson with a better team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Wait to you see him actually coached in CAR. Egg on your face sir

Matt Rhule was a downgrade from Ron Rivera.  The NFL isn't college and he's in a division with two of the best HC in the NFL.  Tape and the inability to recruit exposes a lot of college coaches making the jump to the NFL.  They have a good OC and some talent, they are far from a sure thing to develop Sam.

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

sam was considered an elite qb prospect coming out of college-all jet fans were thrilled to get him

unfortunately many qbs bust out -the question is why did they bust out and were they given the tools to succeed. 

Sam was put in a terrible situation-he had a terrible coaches, no offensive line , no wrs , no tight ends and no running back

It is possible that two things are true the talent around Sam was terrible and Sam is just not a good qb but I believe Sam was set up to fail and will be a very good qb in this league. If Sam goes on and becomes a very good or great player that is on Joe for letting him go-if Sam continues to under achieve then Joe was right to move on

The thing is Wilson is being set up to fail now as well-yes there is what we hope a better coach in place but as of now(maybe joe will draft great this time) Wilson is going to be standing behind a terrible line, have no real rb to hand the ball to , no viable tight end and an avg wr core with no stars 

Even if Darnold turns out to be good/great (which I have my doubts about), this was absolutely the right move.

Financially it makes all the sense in the world.

If you think Zach Wilson is at minimum what Darnold is, then its a no brainer. Anything better and its a homerun. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Its a typical "NY take" to generate buzz.  Darnold wasn't done any favors
by the team BUT:

- He couldn't stay healthy
- Made bad decisions (INTs)
- Had bad deep ball accuracy
- His "All 22" showed a ton of missed easy TD's and chunk plays because
of bad vision

I'll root for him but his failure was a two way street

some guys get it and others don't.  not many thought that allen would and darnold wouldn't.  they both use the same qb coach.  sure darnold will be better on a better team with better offensive players, but so would any bad qb.  that's not the point.  the point here is that while darnold will be better on carolina, he's unlikely to become consistently good.  he'll still be the erratic qb he is now.

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

This could be an epic disaster that costs JD his job.

I think they're hoping its a lateral move and the finances played a huge part.

If Jets keep Darnold and pass on Wilson  "This could be an epic disaster that costs JD his job."

If Jets let Darnold go and go with Wilson "This could be an epic disaster that costs JD his job."

If Jets let Darnold and Wilson battle it out "This could be an epic disaster that costs JD his job."

There were literally zero choices JD could have made that wouldn't allow you to make that post. It all comes down to how Wilson and Darnold play going forward. 

• Upvote 1

The same experts saying this is a good move for carolina laughed at darnold and the jets the last few years.  No matter what the jets do they will be blasted and laughed at, thought you gents would be used to it by now.

They happen to be right that the jets did everything in their power to screw with a young Qb no matter what his name might be.

The jets bad oline was real

The jets lack of weapons was real

The jets worst coaching staff in the league bar none was real

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

50 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s an easy narrative. Mock the lowly Jets and assume they f*cked Sam up like they f*ck up everything else. I get it.

The other perk is, you can easily take this stance without watching any Jets games. The vast majority of national media guys who were telling everyone the Jets should keep Sam hadn’t watched Sam take more than 10 snaps last season.  

On the money here. In the media world, perception is reality. And perception isn’t changing until you show them results. So...little spoiler, they hate our draft class. And Sam is poised to finally break out just because he’s at a new address. Not much to do about it but hope JD and Saleh do their jobs and the team improves. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Is acting like Sam Darnold is/was Dan Marino and the Jets have just been "holding him back".  Like I get it but, have these people watched a single game?  The kid NEVER progressed, he NEVER got better, he RARELY had flashes of brilliance...if we were really holding down Sam Darnold, perhaps he would have won a few games in spite of this horrible and horrific franchise--and he NEVER did it.

I wish the kid nothing but the best, he's a good kid and I hope he does great, honestly, but, this idea that we had John Elway on our roster and it was "all the Jets fault that he is a horrible QB" is really, really, really reaching.  It's bad and irresponsible.

Discuss.

I get that Gase was really bad but it doesn't mean that Sam wasn't bad as well. Gase did take the Dolphins to the playoffs and Tannehill was decent under his reign. So maybe it's just that Sam is not as good as we thought he was.

One of the draft analysts said something about Darnold the year he was coming out that stuck with me because it was true during his Jet years.  It was something like

Pros: has an uncanny ability to keep his team in the game

Cons: has an uncanny ability to keep his opponents in the game 

Just watched a bunch ofYoutube vids and they are all criticizing the Jets for trading him.  Holy sh!t...we all know he got a raw deal but it was time to move on.  Rookie contract is expiring and he did not show enough to warrant a risk and stick with him.  Everyone needs to STFU.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Also never looked comfortable in the pocket.  Simms’ quote in his pre draft eval was ‘darnold wants the pocket to break down.’  What a perfect statement.  

Darnold doesn't want the pocket to break down. He expects it. Can you blame him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

The short answer to your question is no, they never watched film aside from a clip here and there. They would have no answer to the clean pocket mistakes Sam made over and over. If he was going to be elite, it would have been evident after 3 seasons. I think he can be top 15 - but that's not what you shoot for with a top pick. We're swinging for the fences now and I like it! As soon as Mel Kiper and Booger said it was a mistake, I knew we did the right thing. :) 

That to me was the biggest tell that he wasn't the guy.

Maybe, just maybe, he was just as aweful as those he was surrounded by.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

the guy didn't have it

let's not act like he had it

and he had PLENTY of opportunities to prove himself 

Are you sure?

Because I've read that the starting QB had nothing to do with the team being 2-14 last year. We have been a bad team for years now because the roster and coaching have both been terrible - terrible OL, no WRs, no RBs, no pass rush, terrible secondary, worst head coach of all time (fIrE gAsE!!!!). But not the QB. Not the QB. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

You would think if he was "so good" he would have shown a little bit more, no? More flashes? 

I keep saying if he failed better he would still be here. 

No one expected him to be a world beater given our team and coaching, but he did not make the situation any better.... One could effectively argue that he made it worse.

• Upvote 1

If sam was "elite" he would have been average in this disaster of a team, not the worst qb in the nfl. No, we did not do him any favors but he really really bad. All we did was hang our hats on him making one special throw a game. Newsflash if you went through mitch trubiskys or whatever other qb you want to throw in there highlights there would be some special throws. 

In the 3 years the Jets had Sam Darnold, they fired lots of people, missed on lots of FA and draft picks, and overtook the Browns, Raiders and maybe even the Lions as the least desirable franchises to play for.

Sam “not progressing” is the effect, the Jets are the cause.

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Discuss.

Polian was discussing it yesterday and it was one of the few times he made no sense. He kept going on and on about how risky it was taking a QB, and the Jets should have kept him and Carolina should feel lucky to have him, but I just kept thinking "how is it that Polian does not consider Sam one of the 50% that failed?" Maybe because of his age people are looking at Sam as if he is fresh out of college and the last 3 years didn't even happen. 

The national media always grabs the low hanging fruit, and the Jets are low hanging fruit and have been for a long time, and deservedly so. That being said, the 2021 narrative for Darnold and the Jets has already been written, pretty much no matter what actually happens. 

Darnold was the lowest ranked starting QB over the last 3 years, so of course he's going to do at least marginally better than he did last year, because it's pretty tough to be ranked lower than dead last. This will translate into countless stories running with the "Darnold is a decent QB and the Jets should have never given up on him" narrative.  Regarding Zac Wilson or whoever the Jets draft, unless they play like Mahomes in year one, the narrative will be - QB X was only marginally better than Darnold - the Jets made a mistake by giving up on him.  

Book it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

There's no question in my mind that Sam Darnold will receive better coaching, roster support and become a better player than he has been in NY.

But he'll still suck, because of his mental limitations. Those can't be overcome. 

His stats will be better but he is who he is.

So sick of this discussion.  We all watched Sam Darnold play (when he wasn't sick or injured) over an extended period.  Why is it everybody's responsibility but his how poorly he played?  Joe Douglas could bring in Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson to help support him and he would still not see them running wide open down the field.  Or miss them outright throwing off his back foot.  Or maybe we should bring in the Cowboys offensive line from the 1990s, the Steel Curtain from the 1970s and Bill Walsh to coach and then maybe we would get an idea if Sam was any good.   It's onward and upward boys.  Now lets not f up the next guy we bring in ?    

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It’s an easy narrative. Mock the lowly Jets and assume they f*cked Sam up like they f*ck up everything else. I get it.

Right. It's also very easy to bury a "team" as being an incompetent loser than to bury a player for sucking. Calling out a faceless org (especially when they often deserve such scorn) is much easier than piling on a well liked 23 year old player.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The other perk is, you can easily take this stance without watching any Jets games. The vast majority of national media guys who were telling everyone the Jets should keep Sam hadn’t watched Sam take more than 10 snaps last season.  

For sure. Other than Jets fans, nobody was watching this 2-14 team stink the joint up. I honestly don't think many people realize how bad he was last year.