The Official Draft Day 2 Thread

Maxman

4 hours ago, doitny said:

thats the problem i have with a trade up for a OL. you trade up like that for a skill position player, WR, RB, EDGE, ..

the entire OL doesnt have to be studs. the guy at 23 that Minny picked would have been good enough. im sure this board would have loved if we stayed put an drafted Darrisaw. its another improvement for the line.

im sure there will be guys complaining by the weekend after they see what Minn gets with those 3rd rd picks.

While in theory you’re right, one of the knocks against Darrisaw is that he may just hate football. Also he’s more of a pure tackle, where you can see Douglas’s thought process was build interior. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Round one was so much fun, Joe Douglas has a plan and it is coming together. Gave up a lot to trade up but was definitely worth it.

Day two will start quick for the Jets and then be quiet for a while. But if they stay with their current pick, they can add a 3rd day one starter.

Let's go Jets!!!

the value was right in line with the chart. give me studs....quality over quantity. don't trade back with 2 first round players staring right at us

• Sympathy 5

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Round one was so much fun, Joe Douglas has a plan and it is coming together. Gave up a lot to trade up but was definitely worth it.

Day two will start quick for the Jets and then be quiet for a while. But if they stay with their current pick, they can add a 3rd day one starter.

Let's go Jets!!!

I didnt think it was that much to give up to move up 9 slots.   Basically it was a high third and swapping a 3 rd for a 4th.   We lost one pick total.   The negative is that we dont have a third rd pick but I could see Douglas trading back into the third using our fourth and a 6 th rder or maybe Carolinas fourth rder next year

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Cb is the biggest need. JOK is arguably the beat value. 

curious, where do you guys see Davis and Marley playing.  Most things I read have JOK playing the Will. Is t that where Davis is slotted or is he an MLb? And would that make Moseley the Sam? I do think with a premium pick and so many needs, this needs to be vetted before we would pickJOk

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Draft Teven Jenkins and be legends, Douglas. 

I’d been pretty against the idea that they’d go with 2 rookies on their OL (with a rookie QB, and rookie coaches installing a new system that’ll have early hiccups as it is); plus I’m at least half-expecting a TE in round 4 as the most likely among RB/WR/TE to see the field >50% of offensive snaps (though unlike QB/OL, that position doesn’t need to be full time on the field and he can see the field more as the season progresses). But then you’re talking upwards of 4 rookies starting on one side of the ball, and who does that (never mind who does that successfully)?

So it just seemed really unlikely to me, with the team bringing back both veteran starting guards he signed last year, and then  further picking up another veteran starting G/C in Feeney. On the other hand, among Feeney/Lewis/GVR, only Feeney has any guaranteed money this year, so cutting them in the late spring or early-mid summer is no different cap-wise than cutting them back in March with the rest. 

However the unexpected potential of adding two who both have top 15 draft pick grades in typical drafts, could change my mind. I think having such a deep OL draft class has led teams to hold off until day 2 because, hey, what’s the rush? (I thought that might be the Jets, too, mostly because JD seemed such a pick hoarder I didn’t see him trading a pair of day-2 picks to move up just to the mid-teens). Anyway the result is now in round 2 we could be staring at a mid-late teens prospect (more or less consensus top 20 on draft sites, and even that’s in a year when there are 5 QBs - and a top-5 TE ffs  - pushing everyone else down at least 3-4 slots to begin with). 

I still think there’s a very strong chance he moves down (even if he pairs that 4th he just got back so he doesn’t have to move down as much), so 60 more guys don’t come off the board before his next pick, but with 2 picks in each of the 3 rounds after that - plus plenty of early picks in 2021 to buy back in this year - he doesn’t even need to trade down from 34 to get a 3rd round pick back and still have a pick in round 4.

• Upvote 1

I’m fine with trading down as long as it’s not too far. I think I’d rather joe stay put and grab another immediate starter with Creed, Jenkins, or JOK. 

last year we drafted good depth pieces, i like the quality over quantity strategy this year. Leave the draft with 3 instant starters and some hopefuls from rounds 4 & 5

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yup that’s why I think a trade down is more likely 

Remember last year when they traded all the way back in round 2 and still got mims?  Well douglas remembers too.  We’re going back, back, back, and we’re gonna get that 3rd rounder back too.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’d been pretty against the idea that they’d go with 2 rookies on their OL (with a rookie QB, and rookie coaches installing a new system that’ll have early hiccups as it is); plus I’m at least half-expecting a TE in round 4 as the most likely among RB/WR/TE to see the field >50% of offensive snaps (though unlike QB/OL, that position doesn’t need to be full time on the field and he can see the field more as the season progresses). But then you’re talking upwards of 4 rookies starting on one side of the ball, and who does that (never mind who does that successfully)?

What you're missing here is that this FO is not building a team for "success" in  2021....they're building for 2022 and on.

4 rookies starting on one side of the ball this year, means 4 more vets starting on that side of the ball in 2022, when the Jets are in a better position to compete for the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Personally the only guy i’d stay at 34 would be for Jenkins, otherwise i’d want to recoup a 3rd rounder. My targets with a trade down would be Radunz, Rondale Moore, Marshall, Humphrey, Ojulari, Davis, Samuel jr, Melifonwu, or Williams. 

I wonder if they use something from next year to get back into the third? 

• Upvote 2

I really thought we'd trade down, but the more I thought about it, the more I don't think we will unless it's just a few spots(which won't be getting us a 3rd in return).  

The reason is I think there are far fewer prospects the Jets are truly comfortable with based on the limited scouting process this year.  If there is a guy they are extremely confident in at 34 in an area of need, I think they are taking them, because the deeper we get into the draft the bigger the roll of the dice, even more than usual. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yup that’s why I think a trade down is more likely 

I would think so as well, but you never know maybe JD is in love with an instant impact guy at 34. Maybe the Jets can use there multiple 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths to move up to get back in the 3rd round instead. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I predict Elijah Moore. Would like Teven as well but Elijah just makes more sense to me. Plus there was a rumor we tried to trade up for him,

We all know about JD and his love of saving money. Drafting AVT and Moore probably lets him cut both Alex Lewis and Jamison Crowder, saving what, $20 million?

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Someone is going to blow Douglas away with an offer for the 34th pick. 

Book it.

The beauty of having a high 2nd rounder and the fact teams have lots of time to reset the board and say, holy crap! that player is still there, we had him rated 15th!

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I wonder if they use something from next year to get back into the third? 

Several people including Douglas have talked about how valuable next year’s picks are. This is a big change from years past. They simply expect to have a lot better information next year on prospects. If the Jets do trade a pick from next year it would have to be for a guy they absolutely love. Not sure I see it happening but who knows.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Jags get 34

Jets get 45, 65

Raiders get 34

Jets get 48, 79, 121

LV is a good team to pick, with their reach for Leatherwood they could easily

be desperate for Teven Jenkins