Training Camp Practice - 8/9 (getting ready for the Giants)

43 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

The offensive line is learning a new system. The defensive line is also learning a new system, but that system basically has the lineman going full speed into the backfield.  Besides having better players the defensive line will be playing faster than the online because they understand what they have to do better.  Sacks are going to happen until the online fully picks up the new scheme.  Just my opinion.

Meh, a new overall system is one thing but pass blocking one on one is pass blocking one on one.  Zone blocking is for the run game.  

See man, block man doesn't change.  It's not like Lawson is involved in wild stunts or blitzes.  He's just straight up dominating what we thought was our dominant young left tackle.  My hopes for Lawson have elevated but my belief in Becton is certainly down.

Other teams are reading these reports and taking note. 

• WTF? 1

Just now, David Harris said:

Meh, a new overall system is one thing but pass blocking one on one is pass blocking one on one.  Zone blocking is for the run game.  

See man, block man doesn't change.  It's not like Lawson is involved in wild stunts or blitzes.  He's just straight up dominating what we thought was our dominant young left tackle.  My hopes for Lawson have elevated but my belief in Becton is certainly down.

Bechton got beat last year by speed rushers and Lawson is better than most.  Wilson is going to be checking down quite a bit early on and dumping off to rbs.

• Upvote 1

boring practices. The offense feels like they're practicing for a ballet -- rather than a game. Wilson is super green w/ it comes to dealing with pressure, and we're "simulating" it for him...

Clearly wasn't enough on saturday... needs some live rounds and some more game realistic offensive plays/drives

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, both the posters who thought Zach was going to come in and light things up day one and those thinking he’s going to bust.

Once we saw the Jets weren’t bringing in a Foles-type QB, everyone should’ve realized this season wasn’t about contending. If it was, they’d have brought in someone who, even if Zach started day one, would be able to come in and possibly win a game if he got hurt, or needed a mental break at some point to gather himself. I’m not even bringing up the mentoring aspect of having a vet in the room with him.

This year is all about developing him and the other young kids on this team, getting acclimated to the new CS, and letting that CS work together and grow also.

I chose 5 wins in the thread poll last week, and I did that knowing we had a 9th home game along with another at a neutral site.

All I’m looking for is this team to look a lot better in the last half of the year than they do in the first.

I’m really tired of this narrative “this year isn’t about winning”

Its literally every year I hear this from the fan base. Like you think Saleh wants to lose? You think JD wants the 3rd season under his belt to be a third losing season? You think the players want to lose? The Johnsons?

They don’t play this game to “develop” they plan to win. Stop with that jaded fan Nonsense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

yeah this is all true. I mean its easy to go nuclear and worry that is all going to crash an dburn but remember this kid is a rook and expected. But good coaching and gameplan can protect a young qb and allow him to grow - herbert burrow etc...not to say we know one wayy or the other - the thing is nothing that is happening should make you think wilson is toast. Nothing to say is he the best ever either - but we are not expecting that.

This system is going to be great for wilson and we are going to win some games this year!

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

boring practices. The offense feels like they're practicing for a ballet -- rather than a game. Wilson is super green w/ it comes to dealing with pressure, and we're "simulating" it for him...

Clearly wasn't enough on saturday... needs some live rounds and some more game realistic offensive plays/drives

What’s going to be really bad is if bechton gives up these same pressures in real games and wilson is getting nailed.  At least now Lawson is only tagging qbs when he beats bechton.  

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

boring practices. The offense feels li ke they're practicing for a ballet -- rather than a game. Wilson is super green w/ it comes to dealing with pressure, and we're "simulating" it for him...

Fortunately our fist game against Panthers has no one on the roster remotely close to Lawson! Zach should have time to throw. Frankie Luuvu might be their best alternative 

https://www.panthers.com/team/players-roster/

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, both the posters who thought Zach was going to come in and light things up day one and those thinking he’s going to bust.

Once we saw the Jets weren’t bringing in a Foles-type QB, everyone should’ve realized this season wasn’t about contending. If it was, they’d have brought in someone who, even if Zach started day one, would be able to come in and possibly win a game if he got hurt, or needed a mental break at some point to gather himself. I’m not even bringing up the mentoring aspect of having a vet in the room with him.

This year is all about developing him and the other young kids on this team, getting acclimated to the new CS, and letting that CS work together and grow also.

I chose 5 wins in the thread poll last week, and I did that knowing we had a 9th home game along with another at a neutral site.

All I’m looking for is this team to look a lot better in the last half of the year than they do in the first.

I’m sorry, but isn’t this year 3 into Douglas’s rebuild? When is this guy going to be measured on wins and losses like everyone else? 

I’ve been hearing the “seasons not about winning” BS since 2017. It’s unacceptable. 

By 2022-2023 we are going to have to hire a new GM to try to clean up the mess JD made. The wheels just keep spinning. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 7

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m really tired of this narrative “this year isn’t about winning”

Its literally every year I hear this from the fan base. Like you think Saleh wants to lose? You think JD wants the 3rd season under his belt to be a third losing season? You think the players want to lose? The Johnsons?

They don’t play this game to “develop” they plan to win. Stop with that jaded fan Nonsense.

This year IS about winning, but winning while building long term sustainability. Can you please name me the last time we avoided splash signings, avoided trading away quality draft picks every year, and just took our time building a group of young fast talented football players?

The reality check is we’re less than 2 weeks into year 1 of that process. 

image.gif.5e2c9e4f10bd09f6b050e2b2606ffd5b.gif

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All gas no brake baby

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Like I've been saying, this is likely to be a pretty bad season. It's rookies everywhere. People should prepare their bungholes.

i completely disagree.  This team will win 10 games and make the playoffs.  The struggles now are expected and a good thing.  They will learn fast.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Like I've been saying, this is likely to be a pretty bad season. It's rookies everywhere. People should prepare their bungholes.

Would say the watchabilty factor is an appropriate benchmark. If it looks like the last 4-5 years again then we’ll be blowing it up sooner rather than later. The Charger, while still not a great team, has at least fielded a watchable offense and built some talent. The Jets can’t keep on blowing drafts.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, I agree, Bowles was strapped with sh*t but he was also a terrible HC.   Some of the worst clock management and time out management I've ever seen.  And he didnt do himself any favors with comments like; "Stevan Ridley was the game plan"  and "Fitz is our starting QB" (when he's unsigned) and "its easier to pick up an onside kick then it is to pick up a 4th and 3rd" and "I think the running game is going to return to the forefront of offensive strategy".  Just dont think he's a head guy type of personality.  Some guys were just made to be coordinators, Todd Bowles is one of them.  We'll see though, he'll be HC of the Bucs when Arians retires with Brady.

and...your timelines might be off.  Mac fired Bowles and hired Gase.   He had to go because the team finished dead last in the division, 3 years straight, not because he was tied to Mac.

Bowles would have run the ball 5 times out of 4 if given the chance. His idea of Offense was to not make mistakes so his Defenses could win he game. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Even if you think the pass blocking responsibilities will be the same exact in a wide scheme than they were last year, which they aren’t, you still don’t have enough info from these tweets to know if it was all bectons fault.  Did Lawson shoot the gap between the guard and it was the guards responsibility? Was their a TE lined up next to becton on a rush that was the TE responsibility?  Did Zach hold the ball for too long?  Did a RB not pick up the rusher? Some people are annoyed we are running boring throw routes during practice…that’s because in this system the qb has to make quick decisions to help negate the pass rush. Just saying the knee jerk reactions towards becton one week into camp with a new system is a bit much.

I am surprised at how many people care about this “lack of hitting” in practice.  Especially with a team who has so much learning and contributing young players to account for.  Learning>Hitting.  

Michael Carter isn’t going to learn a lot from getting his bell rung by Mosely an extra day a week more than he does.  Conversely Mosley won’t become a better tackle by 10 extra “tackle to the ground reps a week”.

I was able to be a part of 3 straight years of practices for Iowa in the early 2000s in various capacities.  They were and still are considered one of the most physical and fundamentally sound teams in the Big Ten and they were not Big proponents of 100% live reps.  I am of the belief it doesn’t provide the reward most people likely assume it does.  It is most certainly necessary to an extent, but the benefit is greatly exaggerated in my opinion.  I’m sure there are coaches/programs/franchises that would disagree, but I don’t think there is many who would say it’s a huge competitive advantage to have incredibly physical practices day in and day out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1