Jets & Braxton Berrios have started talking extension

8 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I'd like us to take a WR with one of our first round picks.

FINALLY! Something we agree on.

9 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Take a TE in the 2nd round.

See now you're just teasing me.  If we can grab one of the top 2 TEs in round 2 I will splooge.  He will become Zach's best friend.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I admit, I'm having trouble with the counter-narratives at JN, that Zach needs weapons to do well and can't do well with wat we have, and we need a 3 for 30 million Berrios.

I think, as always seems to happen, Jets Fans are hyperinflating a guy into the stratosphere based on basically one game.  A loss at that.

Last year it was Mims.  Now it's Berrios, third stinger-turned-all-pro superstud 30 million guy.

I look forward to the hype machine finally being right, and Berrios not turning into a pumpkin next year when he's starting (and at 3/30 million, he damn well better be starting).

Davis/Moore/Berrios?  Not sure thats a winning formula myself.  Hope I'm wrong.

Players on this team and throughout the league see the way the Jets operate, it’s why the few good ones we have look to leave and the best FAs don’t want to sign here. 

The fans like you are just as bad. You cry about the team not winning, then you want to lowball players when they’re due a new contract.
No player is worth what the market bears, forget about setting the market… that’s for good teams. ?

If you really want to see this team change the culture around Florham Park, the fastest way to do it is show all the kids on this team that if they go out and produce the way this year’s team MVP did, they’ll be rewarded.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Nobody sane thinks Berrios (my negro) is the second coming of even Wayne Chrebet. BUT, when the Jets have needed plays ALL F*CK!NG YEAR, not just this game, Berrios has been the guy showing up most on film as making a play.

Yup, he's been doing it all year, not just one game.  Receiving and rushing he's got 24 first downs, 4 TDs (not bad for a 4th/5th WR), a KO TD and is one of  the top KO/punt returners in the league.  

Tough as nails and always seems to come up big and considering how bereft of talent we are, hard to let a guy like that go if the $$ is reasonable.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I admit, I'm having trouble with the counter-narratives at JN, that Zach needs weapons to do well and can't do well with wat we have, and we need a 3 for 30 million Berrios.

I think, as always seems to happen, Jets Fans are hyperinflating a guy into the stratosphere based on basically one game.  A loss at that.

Last year it was Mims.  Now it's Berrios, third stinger-turned-all-pro superstud 30 million guy.

I look forward to the hype machine finally being right, and Berrios not turning into a pumpkin next year when he's starting (and at 3/30 million, he damn well better be starting).

I think 3/30 is a bit high. Nailing down an extension would be nice. I think it sets a good tone for such a young roster. Unheralded player that stepped up and took advantage of opportunities, and gets paid. Meanwhile we have a 2nd round wr that got 0 snaps. Sends the message that draft slot or pedigree don’t matter…

…unless you’re Zach Wilson

(For the record i love seeing the progress he’s made since his month watching, probably should’ve began the season on the bench)

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Jets always negotiate when players have maximum leverage. It’s actually hilarious.

Is it your view to negotiate with players who are not performing?  Has the virtue of keeping costs down.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Players on this team and throughout the league see the way the Jets operate, it’s why the few good ones we have look to leave and the best FAs don’t want to sign here. 

The fans like you are just as bad. You cry about the team not winning, then you want to lowball players when they’re due a new contract.
No player is worth what the market bears, forget about setting the market… that’s for good teams. ?

If you really want to see this team change the culture around Florham Park, the fastest way to do it is show all the kids on this team that if they go out and produce the way this year’s team MVP did, they’ll be rewarded.

I'm fine resigning Berrios.

I'm just not fine starting or overpaying for Berrios.  3/30M feels like a huge overpayment to me.

Until yesterday, most of this board was lamenting that Zach "had no weapons, how could he succeed" ffs, lol.

Suddenly Berrios, a backup to a backup WR his entire career, is a legit, pay the man, big contract weapon?  

To me Berrios is a decent enough depth guy and special teamer, he's not a guy to build around.  I'm fine paying over market for foundational guys, not depth guys.

• Upvote 3

As much as I love Berrios and am thrilled to sign him to an extension, 3 years and $30 would be a pretty bad overpay.

3 years $18 million would be a good contract for both the team and for the player, who was essentially on the roster bubble at the start of training camp.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm just not fine starting or overpaying for Berrios.  3/30M feels like a huge overpayment to me.

Until yesterday, most of this board was lamenting that Zach "had no weapons, how could he succeed" ffs, lol.

Suddenly Berrios, a backup to a backup WR his entire career, is a legit, pay the man, big contract weapon?  

To me Berrios is a decent enough depth guy and special teamer, he's not a guy to build around.  I'm fine paying over market for foundational guys, not depth guys.

We’ll see how it works out. To be honest I think JD will agree with you rather than me. 

This team has sucked all year. There were about 5 guys who actually produced worth a damn, and Berrios did it ALL YEAR. Wilson has put up horrible numbers all year, I can’t imagine what they would’ve been without him. 
 He’s  the team MVP and it’s not close. if you don’t pay to resign that guy, who do you ever pay?

If we are talking about extensions, I wouldnt hate if JD tried to lock up Feeney for 2 years and $4 million (he makes $1.5 this year).  Backup IOL who can play center are valuable and he is only 27.  Plus we would essentially be using GVR's money and still be able to pay LDT.

JD effd up.  JD could have had Barrios for Cordarrelle like numbers - $3M a year.  Remember when Patterson was signed, he was an elite returner/WR4/gadget guy which was exactly what Barrios was early this season. 

Now, we're in trouble because Curtis Samuel broke the frickin market last year for gadget guys.  Curtis turned a late season surge, similar to Braxton's, into $11M/yr.  That was a bad contract but it set the market.  

One thing too watch.  Hunter Renfrow is a good comp and he'll probably be extended by the Raiders.  Barrios should be within shouting distance to Hunter's numbers.  If Hunter gets 12M/yr, Barrios may get $10M/yr from someone.

Berrios is worth close to, if not equal to, what Crowder got on the open market to join the Jets...3yr/28 mill, 17 mill guaranteed.

Berrios can do everything Crowder can, plus play specials on KO/Punt.  That's what he's worth on the open market.  If given the slot receiver role, I am certain he can succeed.  Dude catches most everything, and was always playing behind Crowder which made little sense to me.

Berrios is our speedier Cole Beasley or Crowder replacement ..Beasley signed with BUF for 4 yrs, 29 Mill with $14 mill guaranteed with an annual salary of around $7 mil.

Just my opinion...but he has a LOT of value around the league, so...these are the numbers we should be contemplating.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Berrios is a 4th WR and return man and a pretty good one at that.  He should be paid at the top end  of what that is...

Davis/Moore/1st round WR and a legit TE is a winning formula - Michael Carter in the backfield..  And Berrios the gadget guy - backfield, slot, wide out - he's very good when he can get in space...

No excuses for Wilson with those weapons.

From what I've seen these last few games, why would I be looking to make excuses? Zack Wilson seems to be way more comfortable with the NFL game than even a month ago. 

So why is anyone looking for excuses? You're building a case that really doesn't exist. Zack Wilson played a good pro game these last few weeks. Nothing suggests that he won't continue to grow as long as he has weapons. Dak Prescott is throwing to a trio of #1 #2 guys. So, the Jets should continue to pursue quality size at the WR position.

I'm thinking the Jets really need size at safety and WR. I'm happy with the cast at RB.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Bang on cheif….If we’re talking 10M a year I want a guy who’s career day is somewhat better than 8 for 65

• Upvote 1

You have to sign Berrios because he’s the only receiver Wilson seems to enjoy throwing the ball at. Berrios is worth more to us than he is anywhere else, so we’d have to overpay (which is not Douglas’ m.o., btw). But, whatever. Lock him up and hope more dynamic players keep him on the bench. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

From what I've seen these last few games, why would I be looking to make excuses? Zack Wilson seems to be way more comfortable with the NFL game than even a month ago. 

So why is anyone looking for excuses? You're building a case that really doesn't exist. Zack Wilson played a good pro game these last few weeks. Nothing suggests that he won't continue to grow as long as he has weapons. Dak Prescott is throwing to a trio of #1 #2 guys. So, the Jets should continue to pursue quality size at the WR position.

I'm thinking the Jets really need size at safety and WR. I'm happy with the cast at RB.

I was quoting someone that often expresses concern for people making excuses for Wilson  (If I quoted you I apologize, it was an accident)

I'm with you - I think we need to take a WR in the 1st and a big target at that and a TE in the second.  With Davis as your third best WR - along with a high quality and athletic TE - This team would be poised to be very competitive.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

what would you pay Julian Edelman or Wes Welker? Jets should make a deal that is good for both sides. He's a keeper .

17 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

Way too high. Half of that.

I’ll bet you half of half to the 10th power that it’s closer to the higher number than lower number.  LOL.

What market benchmark are you looking at to get to $4M a year for a top 3 kickoff AND punt returner, Pro Bowl alternate, and #1 slot receiver which he will argue he has earned the opportunity to compete for.  And the stats will support it.

If the Jets don’t view him as a viable starting slot, Berrios will NOT sign here.  Nor would most of us.  It’s in his best interest to have this opportunity and other teams will pony up.

Moore is an outside receiver / part time slot and the receiver the Jets take in round 1 or 2 will also be insurance for Corey Davis if he doesn’t rebound Year 2.  They can cut him after year 2 with less than a million cap hit.

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You have to sign Berrios because he’s the only receiver Wilson seems to enjoy throwing the ball at. Berrios is worth more to us than he is anywhere else, so we’d have to overpay (which is not Douglas’ m.o., btw). But, whatever. Lock him up and hope more dynamic players keep him on the bench. 

I’m with you but would revise the last sentence to “hope more dynamic players COMPLIMENT him”.

He is doing what he is doing without those complimentary players.  Imagine what he can do with them.  Nobody is saying he is a #1 or a #2.  They are saying he can be an outstanding #3 since he is a young ascending player with excellent quickness, toughness, smarts, and hands.  Not straight like speed, size or catch radius.  He should be part of the core.

• Upvote 2

Berrios is the type of guy that thrives best in a Lafleur type system. The Lafleur system runs pre-snap motion as much as any other offense. For a guy like Berrios (and Moore) that pre-snap motion helps take advantage of his fleet feet and shiftiness, gaining an edge at snap point.

It also helps a kid like Wilson have a better shot at reading the defense.

It is a good marriage of talent to system.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Jethead said:

what would you pay Julian Edelman or Wes Welker? Jets should make a deal that is good for both sides. He's a keeper .

So Berrios is now on-par with Wes Welker and Julian Edelman, eh?

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Nobody is saying he is a #1 or a #2.

Um, sure seems like Jethead and a few others are.

Edelman and Welker were both top options and full time starters.

So if we should pay Berrios the same as Edelman or Welker, as Jethead suggests, that sure implies he is their equal and fills an equal role.

Again, I have no problem resigning Berrios, at an appropriate depth WR and KR price.

19 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Jets always negotiate when players have maximum leverage. It’s actually hilarious.

Yeah they should negotiate when they have the leverage, when the player isnt playing well.  Thats a better strategy.

You must have been up all night worrying that we were waiting too long to get that Gholston extension done

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So Berrios is now on-par with Wes Welker and Julian Edelman, eh?

Um, sure seems like Jethead and a few others are.

Edelman and Welker were both top options and full time starters.

So if we should pay Berrios the same as Edelman or Welker, as Jethead suggests, that sure implies he is their equal and fills an equal role.

Again, I have no problem resigning Berrios, at an appropriate depth WR and KR price.

I agree he’s not a #1 or #2 but I do think he is a starting slot.  Not just a depth piece.  And we’ll likely see that opportunity play out.  

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

So you're cutting Davis after a single season then, to fit Berrios into the starting 3 with Moore and....1st round draft pick I presume?

Did I miss where someone called for cutting Davis to keep Berrios? 

Coles is a goner as is Crowder.  

8 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I agree he’s not a #1 or #2 but I do think he is a starting slot.  Not just a depth piece.  And we’ll likely see that opportunity play out.  

In 3 WR sets I think we'll mostly see Davis, Moore, FA/Draftpick in the lineup.  Berrios will certainly see a lot of playing time even when everyone is healthy but won't be getting 10-12 targets a game.

I don't think he's a starter next year if the other receivers are healthy. Assuming they bring in a legit X receiver via FA or draft. But since our guys are always hurt, we should pay more for high quality depth like Berrios who will end up starting a lot of games no matter what. I think JD offers 6 per yr, they counter at 8 and settle at 7.