Do the Jets still draft a TE in round 2 or 3?

Hex

TE  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Doe the Jets draft a TE in the first 3 rounds?

In FA the Jets signed TEs Uzomah and Conklin, effectively filling the TE hole that has been plaguing the Jets for so long. However, many of us (Myself included) thought that they were going to draft a TE like McBride in the 2nd round or something along those lines. Would that still make sense, or is it out of the question now?

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Absolutely.  Uzomah and Conky in reality only have 2 year deals.  Mcbride is on the table at 35.

Or it could get drafted in 2023, I am sure there will be an abundance of TEs next year as well.

DE, WR, LB, DT should be our top priorities in rounds 1-2. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, if the right guy is there. But it is not a must do, have to do. If the best player available for one of our positions of need is a TE, take him. What's nice, is that if in round two or three, the pick is between a couple of player we can use, you can hold off on the TE.

However, this offense can use 3-4 solid TEs. Take a good young one, so these stud vets can mentor. 

• Upvote 1

Daniel Bellinger is supposed to be the best blocking TE in the draft and is also one of the best TE athletes in the draft. Plenty of other guys I wouldn't be mad about but I think he's the guy to develop as a third tight end, day three selection.

39 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Absolutely.  Uzomah and Conky in reality only have 2 year deals.  Mcbride is on the table at 35.

I'm just impressed that you're not calling him Uzomalama. 

And no, I don't think McBride is on the table anymore. It's not like he's some generational talent that you need to draft this year or you lose him forever.

I don’t see why not. They’re allegedly not using both veterans in the same way, and it’d leave plenty of opportunity to bring a rookie along slower if/as needed.

Been said by plenty already. Still seems like a good idea, but now his hand’s not at all forced.

There are other drafts with other TEs to be had, but this year if someone falls to him and it’s one of those things where he can’t believe his luck - like he apparently felt with Moore last year - then sure why not take a TE who’s a more dynamic receiver over a bigger immediate-need position.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think they still take one.  Maybe James Mitchell on day 3 if they want to put it off for a bit.

Oh Johnny Mitchell where are you now ? Dropping balls somewhere in old Blighty apparently (he's a coach).

What I call the original Mitchell, James Mitchell tight end, played for Prarie View A&M, and later the Atlanta Falcons, passing away in 2007.

Our Johnny Mitchell, got to play for Pete Carroll and the Jets, later walked out of Jimmy Johnson's training camp with the Dolphins after 12 days, played for four games over one season with the Cowboys, before asking Parcells for a second stint with the Jets, he lasted one day of Parcell's training camp.  He later had a cup of tea first with the Saints and then the Jaguars when another disappointing ex-jet was holding out in camp, Kyle Brady.

Now the world is ready for another James Mitchell tight end, long may he flourish and handle NFL training camps better than Johnny.

I see a TE being picked in the 4th -5th rounds.   Ruckert and Greg Dulcich may/may not make it to the 4th round.  But most likely it will be players like Jake Ferguson, Charlie Kolar or Jelani Woods. 

Those players mentioned above should be an upgrade over the Griffin-Kroft anemic duo.  I personally like to see Dulcich or Jelani Woods added to TE unit. 

i hate them i'm even posting in this thread rn. 

Look, here's what we know--

• Joe ready was to lay Blood Diamonds down for Mike Williams
  • Calvin Ridley was plan B sounds like. 
  • Couldn't land either, pivoted instead --> times two-ing at TE to ensure we had some height/strength options in receiving game.

So Plan A might might have meant you're looking at McBride/Ruckert/Wydermyer at the top of 2... now? Sh*t swung the other way. If a guy they really had a high grade on is still there late 3, maybe... Likely is your best shot, but his downfield blocking is ruthless -- so unless we acquire a late 3, i don't see it. 

• Pass Rush
  • Dline
  • Oline
  • Secondary
  • Linebacker
  • WR

They gonna vacuum up those top 5 picks.

• Upvote 2

I'm all about having a deep TE room in this offense.  But there are a bunch of interesting TE prospects in this draft and plenty of depth. So not in round 2, but I'd honestly still be fine taking a TE in the 3rd round in this draft. There are a number of good ones.