Woody to be “very involved” in this years draft

16 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Don't agree with this.  The run at Tyreek Hill was a football move.  If anything, I think JD and Saleh had to convince Woody the PR fallout from the domestic violence history was worth the risk...

It's certainly a fair position.  I must say I agreed with the move when he was trying to get Hill...and was okay with the other attempts for that package - but now that I'm hearing #10 I started to think in a different direction.

But the more I thought about it, the more I started to move to the idea that Woody COULD have been behind it.  And now this from Pauline. 

Not saying Pauline isn't full of sh*t ---- but now that's two pieces of evidence.

You may very well be right, but IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Woody is driving this and that concerns me.

I think if the Jets end up giving up a tiny bit more that #10 I would be quite confident this is Woody.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol based on what, exactly?

Like most, I don’t like Woody (other than very mildly in comparison to his Fredo brother, which stewardship is still Woody’s fault). But the last “meddling” I recall was saying - in the presser after firing Idzik - in hindsight he’d have wanted his GM to re-sign Revis the year he went to NE, if he knew then that the player could’ve been had for so little (under $12MM with only 1 fully guaranteed season). That was what, 7-8 years ago? And it was technically him unwittingly tampering with another team’s under-contract player, not meddling with his own GM. On the contrary, it was evidence & admission he wasn’t meddling with his GM.

The GM here has full autonomy in the draft and FA and there isn’t a GM past or present that’s later even hinted or anonymously leaked that he was forced to draft/sign any player against his will or better judgment over these past 20 years. He heavily promoted a couple (Favre, and especially Tebow) after they were signed; not my thing, but bfd.

He owns the team. Like any/every team owner carrying the team CEO title, he’s been heavily involved with the GM hirings, and is heavily active (or at a minimum heavily consulted) with his team’s HC hiring. Even when interviews/decisions were run by others, from his GM to outside consultants. With Woody that’s been plenty bad enough without making up “facts” like this.

More likely than not, @Skeptable is right. He’s ”involved” in case of potential trades for any big money player, since he may have to sign off on it fast and it’s no secret the Jets’ GM has been actively seeking this end.

Beyond that? Literally every NFL owner is in his team’s war room, and the other 31 team owners (OK, other 30 plus Green Bay’s CEO) aren’t tied up in back closets with duct tape over their mouths & only told what happened after it’s over. If you think most are blind investor type owners I’d like to see this long list of which.

Glad you agree Sperm... I think there is a little bit of PTSD going on with the last few regimes... Tony has been saying that the Jets are actively involved in trading for Deebo... He also says that the owner needs to be involved with the draft process.... SF is probably going to wait till the Jets are on the clock to make a decision hoping that the Eagles or Ravens up their offer. Then Woody has to make a quick decision about giving Deebo 23+ Million a year extension... and it will all have to be within seconds... they can't waste their time calling Woody back and forth... 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RSJ said:

In all seriousness Pauline is an idiot and never gets things right. But I would be highly concerned too if my front office was thinking about passing on someone like Sauce because he doesnt fit this coaching staffs crappy defensive scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He gets plenty right and plenty wrong. He makes good educated guesses. If he was really dialed in to the Jets he would have known we loved AVT last year. Instead, he was spewing nonsense about the Jets loving Teven Jenkins. If the Jets really liked Jenkins they never would have traded up to take AVT, they would have sat back and kept all those picks they used to move up. 

https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/01/ny-jets-interest-teven-jenkins/

Saying Woody will be more involved is an extremely vague statement that doesn't really mean anything and is only good for generating attention for himself. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

@Barry McCockinner

we gonna have to start a social media campaign to tell woody to sit down and shut up. JETS fans do not want him involved. 

I think/hope @Skeptable may have hit the nail on the head that we need to read between the lines. Woody needs to be involved if there's any contracts being finalized ...

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think/hope @Skeptable may have hit the nail on the head that we need to read between the lines. Woody needs to be involved if there's any contracts being finalized ...

feel like that is an easy thing to prep before the draft and a scenario that the JETS should have in place and a decision for already.

if that is the case and they aren't going to make the decision until "JETS on the Clock" then the JETS suck at planning.

- Hey Woody its JD... Listen I am hearing that Thursday night if another team doesn't UP their trade offer for Deebo, SF would be willing to trade him for 10. Looks like its going to be $22-$26 mil in a new contract extension. Is this a deal breaker for you/us?

phone call over. lol

and then from a PR standpoint yes, Woody will want to be there to probably take a call with Deebo to look like the reason and take credit. 

maybe Woody sees thats we might draft an OT for a 3rd year in a row and it bothers him. maybe he thinks its stupid to not draft a defensive guy on the worst defense in NFL history in rd 1 because you had to get that OL. or not get a WR because of it.

its like Christmas day when you were a pre-teen and you start getting clothes for gifts.

then you go to Grandmas house and watch your cousins with the brand new Transformers or G.I Joe. you see them flying the Millenium Falcon. and what did you get? boring ass clothes.

you need clothes but you can get them another time. 

Woody looks around the league and sees 75% of his owner friends walking away with shiny new toys in rd 1 every year and he doesnt and they win and he doesnt.

there is no way this rebuild should take this long with 5 first rd picks in the top 14. but JD has taken 2 out of 3 OL and threatens to make it 3 out of 5. imagine how far along we would be if we picked Cee Dee Lamb over Becton. so yeah if i was Woody i would get involved too.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is 100% trolling:

image.png

I'm sorry, but I do not agree.

You started by saying that, surely.  But the contents of your post didn't support that.

So I can say - "Hey I  hate pizza"

But then go on to say -  "When I eat it it's really good - I mean what's not to like about Pizza  - maybe sometimes Pizza isn't perfect, but overall I'm good with it"

With that said,

If you believe I was trolling, then I apologize - I must have clearly misinterpreted your post.  That is my fault, my mistake.  So I apologize.  Trolling was not my intention.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Woody decides he wants to become Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder then I'll jump ship on this franchise.  That F'ing idiot needs to just let JD do his job.

He may just be on the draft room, but hopefully will not have much input. Remember, if say a deal is made for a WR trade i. e Deboo, Metcalf, etc. he may not be too concerned with draft compensation, but he would as you all are saying may be more for it as far as it being a splash move like with Favre. Also, once you do a contract with the WR, which can actually occur during the draft, the owner may want to have some input in paying one player 30+ million a year.

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Think about what Tony is saying without saying it... Why would Woody Need to be involved if not picking a draft pick... ? Read between the lines... 

If true, maybe Woody feels JD needs some oversight after that disastrous 2020 draft when he probably gave him free reign. I'd do the same and it's his right to do so. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Big Snell said:

For the first time in the history of the Jets, we will have Gotham Green tablecloths in the war room, set off by Spotlight White laptops. Glad Woody is there to help.

How did they not call the black, Jet Black. It was right there for the taking. 

• Sympathy 1

If there's any truth to it I would think he would want us to take Gardner. Seeing what Revis and Revis Island did for this franchise. Our best days was when we had a lockdown corner and he knows that was our identity. Jets fans would also take the Sauce nickname and run with it. The marketing behind that in NYC is endless. That pick is an easy sell to Jets fans in his mind I bet.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I hope this is right. The Jets have made progress organizationally which will hopefully translate to success on the field. Woody better not reverse this.

Under Chris Johnson, the Jets fixed that ridiculous org structure where the coach reports to the owner and not GM.

While Chris messed up the the Gase and Big Macc situation, he course corrected very quickly. Now we have a GM/Coach combination that are in sync and most of the fanbase believes in. And most importantly, he has allowed our GM to do his job without meddling in.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Stark said:

feel like that is an easy thing to prep before the draft and a scenario that the JETS should have in place and a decision for already.

if that is the case and they aren't going to make the decision until "JETS on the Clock" then the JETS suck at planning.

- Hey Woody its JD... Listen I am hearing that Thursday night if another team doesn't UP their trade offer for Deebo, SF would be willing to trade him for 10. Looks like its going to be $22-$26 mil in a new contract extension. Is this a deal breaker for you/us?

phone call over. lol

and then from a PR standpoint yes, Woody will want to be there to probably take a call with Deebo to look like the reason and take credit. 

thats not how it works... but isn't it a lot easier to just have the owner on the call from the get go listening... jesus... the framework is likely worked out ... but last second changes happen all the time... seconds can be crucial when you only have 15 minutes...

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Woody is a rich man…..he owns the team.

none of you are telling you’re bosses to get lost. Woody will Do as he please 

And, as a result, continue to live under the consequences of his stewardship:  Team failure and ridicule.  Much of which is assuaged by the annual check from the NFL's media deal.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Woody is a rich man…..he owns the team.

none of you are telling you’re bosses to get lost. Woody will Do as he please 

Woody is not Jets fans’ boss. False equivalent. We are not asking Joe Douglas to tell Woody to stay out of it. Jets fans are telling him to stay out of it directly. He doesn't have to listen of course.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, he made a very good point. 

He explicitly said he doesn't like Woody, and you started with "Why do you love Woody".

Sorry mate, this one is on you.  Take away that line, maybe Sperm gives the post more credence, but starting off with an obvious lie (that he "loves" Woody) is a bad faith way of starting a discourse.

“Why do you love Bon Chon?”

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Thursday cannot come quick enough... 

woody sit down next to JD and just smile. act like your talking to him, for the cameras. let he and Saleh do their thing and just sit back and not F anything up.

Big Boi Smh GIF by Outkast

Joe Douglas: Hello Woody

Woody: Howdy Joe!, gonna be a great draft.

Joe Douglas: Hope so.

Woody: How cool would that be if we draft a guy named London?

Joe Douglas: What?

Woody: London! His name is London, get it, be beyond nifty! 

Joe Douglas: Security! 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

thats not how it works... but isn't it a lot easier to just have the owner on the call from the get go listening... jesus... the framework is likely worked out ... but last second changes happen all the time... seconds can be crucial when you only have 15 minutes...

clearly that was just an illustration of pre-planning and not how it works on draft night. If you think that woody has to be on the call for accounting purposes, well ok.

so you don't think JD has the authority to make a call without running it by Woody on a last second change? I doubt that. 

either way I don't believe that they don't or won't have a great portion of trade framework for "known potential" target established

• Upvote 1