What are your expectations for Zach Wilson in Year 2?

Like one quote stated have to have 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, and since no other stat matters as much(and I know it is a loaded AFC) but he needs a good amount of wins. Now, preferably I'd say more wins then losses i.e 9-8, but if not it should be 8-9 and of the losses I would not want to see too many where he directly appears to be a big reason for losing like multiple INTs through the game, an INT at the end losing the game, too many sacks due to holding the ball too long, etc. Those 3 areas I just mentioned occurred early in the year, but none of them occurred in his last 5-6 games so if any of those occur again in an abundance then he would be regressing, which would partly be his fault and partly the coaches. Both have responsibility to keep the strengths or good things going to continue, and the weaknesses or baf things to get better. And, no matter what this better not be an 0-6 team in this division. It would be nice to be 3-3, but at least split with the Fins/NE as neither team looks like they will be world beaters.

Just now, Lith said:

Seems attainable.  But since Vinny in 1998 only two Jet QBs have met those numbers while starting at least 8 games.  Josh McCown in 2017 and Chad Pennington in 2002.  And its not that high a bar.

Anyone wonder why we have struggled to win consistently over the past couple of decades.

That's the thing -- it seems like a massive leap -- but that's basically the standard for "good" QB play in the NFL these days.

Would really be remarkable to just see us in that universe.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Seems attainable.  But since Vinny in 1998 only two Jet QBs have met those numbers while starting at least 8 games.  Josh McCown in 2017 and Chad Pennington in 2002.  And its not that high a bar.

Anyone wonder why we have struggled to win consistently over the past couple of decades.

Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015. He had a 6.95 YPA so I’ll give it to him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Complete 60% or more of his passes

7.0 YPA or more.

2 to 1 TD to INT ratio or better.

If he starts every game and matches these reasonable metrics it will be a great season.

I’m not terribly concerned about the TD:int ratio that much (as long as TDs >>> ints!), as long as those top two numbers are somewhat better. Get up around 65% (about league average nowadays), and get that ypa up closer to 8. I want him to be that gunslinger they took #2 overall, and I don’t care if he throws a couple extra picks while he’s being aggressive. He can work on cleaning that up later. For now, let’s push that ball down the field. He’s got weapinz galore this year, he’s gotta put them to use. 

• Upvote 3

I think the 60% completion rate is probably low - If the Jets play offensively like I think they will - he should be closer to 65%.  I think ML is going to want to get the ball into all of those sub 4.4 playmakers and let them go.

3,500 yards should be a minimum expectation (that's about 205 yards a game)

2:1 TD/INT ratio seems fair

• Upvote 3

TD/INT is by far the most important measure here. It will be nice if he eclipses 3500 passing yards, or has above 65% completion rate. However, the amount of points a team scores determines who wins the game, so all I really care about is how many Touchdowns he passes and how many INTs he avoids.

I expect Wilson to show some command of the offense and look like he belongs out on the field.

There were way too many instances last year where he looked jittery and uncomfortable. He needs the game to slow down for him, and he needs to show that the game is not too big for him.

Simply put, he needs to make some plays to show he can be in the upper tier of quarterbacks for the next 10 years.

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Play like the #2 pick in the draft. Why should expectations be any lower?

Quarterbacks taken #2 have more or less exclusively busted over the last decade, maybe even two, so I’m not so sure we want this.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Play like the #2 pick in the draft. Why should expectations be any lower?

Rick Mirer? Ryan Leaf? Marcus Mariota?

Just kidding, I expect him to make big improvements from last year and show everyone why he was picked #2 overall.

58 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think anything less than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio and a completion percentage in the low 60s is a disappointment  

Yep. 65% is middle of the pack. And in this offense, it should be at least there.

Even a 3:1 ratio is not an unrealistic expectation. He needs to be heading in the right direction fast.

• Upvote 1