Former scout hates Jermaine Johnson - anyone see this?

28 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Given its the same website - its probably the same guy who did this: https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-new-york-jets-scout-full-first-round-kayvon-thibodeaux-ikem-ekwonu-malik-willis#gid=ci029dc7e760002674&pid=1-jacksonville-jaguars-aidan-hutchinson-edge-michigan

Malik at 2 - Matt Corrall at 3 overall Linderbaum at 6 Trey McBride at 11 - Carson Strong at 12 - Cameron Thomas at 13 - 

So maybe there is a bit of a disconnect btwn how he thinks and how the NFL does... who cares

4. New York Jets: Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon

Most dominant pass rusher in New York since Lawrence Taylor. (LOL)

A culture changer with a strong alpha personality, who brings a disruptive presence to the football field. He creates pressure and opposing defenses constantly have to be aware of him. He will instantly be the best player on the Jets’ defense.

Guess he forgot about Abraham, Osi or Strahan.

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The bolded two items are opposites, yet they are being used to describe the same person just one sentence apart. I'm confused.

He means that Johnson hustles and his opportunities come from his hustle. So he’s opportunistic and hustles.

• Upvote 1

I can see the hype that we got a top 10 guy at 26.  Johnson was clearly a late 1st to mid 2.  We liked him.  He's a great young man, high motor, great edge setter and probably not in top tier pass rushing prospect group which is why we were able to get him.  The Jets loved the kid.  They went and got him.  

The reason I like the pick is unlike getting a pure top 5 to 10 talent at 26 who has a low motor and didn't produce, Johnson was the exact opposite.  He's also very good at setting the edge and playing the run.  I could see him not being a great edge rusher but being a solid, above average pro for a long time and being effect at getting to the QB without the huge numbers.  That's a homerun.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I can see the hype that we got a top 10 guy at 26.  Johnson was clearly a late 1st to mid 2.  We liked him.  He's a great young man, high motor, great edge setter and probably not in top tier pass rushing prospect group which is why we were able to get him.  The Jets loved the kid.  They went and got him.  

The reason I like the pick is unlike getting a pure top 5 to 10 talent at 26 who has a low motor and didn't produce, Johnson was the exact opposite.  He's also very good at setting the edge and playing the run.  I could see him not being a great edge rusher but being a solid, above average pro for a long time and being effect at getting to the QB without the huge numbers.  That's a homerun.  

You are describing a young Shaun Ellis who was a very good D lineman who had a solid career. If JJ turns into Ellis it is a very solid pick 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Green Truth said:

Until they put the pads on and bullets are flying no one knows anything what these players will be.

Ex Jet exec Pat Kirwin saw Gholston on a pro practice field on his first day and said, not “he was a reach” or “he needs a lot of work”, he said “this guy can’t play in this league, he can’t open his hips, he’ll never get to the QB”.

Wild....how so many coming to a consensus to draft that guy in the Top 10 couldn’t see that at all, and Kirwin saw it immediately.

Hopefully not the case with Johnson, but like you said, everyone has to reserve judgement until they hit the field.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

As someone who has dabbled in the artform, Kelly is a master level troll 

like he's written 15 of these articles about So and so shouldn't be a first round pick and they are click bait 

there's a thin line between fries and shakes 

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Spotify

• Haha 3

Jermaine Johnson may be a stud or he may bust.  Nobody knows until the pads start popping.

Joe Douglas had a very high grade on Johnson.  Although I personally have my doubts, let's hope he was right.  I'm hoping that the "well rounded" comments in his draft profiles translate into a Bryan Thomas type of player at the very least.

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Also love how he brings up Wake Forest. You mean the #4 Offense in the country Wake Forest, that one? 

Yeah, as someone who follows Wake because my daughter goes there, I was surprised at that as well. Wake was putting up big offensive numbers all year and went to the Gator Bowl. They were a very good team (not elite by any means) but very good.

• Upvote 1

This is obviously an extremely negative take -- but the sentiment (that he's not an elite edge rushing prospect, that a lot of his production was against weaker competition, that he's better against the rush and is more of a high motor try hard than an athlete you have to deal with) is fairly consistent with the more negative views of him.

The hope here is that because Saleh and the coaching staff saw him up close and literally coached him for a week and because clearly the braintrust is confident he's a perfect fit for what we do he'll click and be the "best version of himself" here.

Seems like he gives a sh*t and is going to play his tail off which is rarely the sign of a "bust" even if he'll never be an elite edge rusher. Given that we got him at 26 instead of 4 or 10 I could theoretically live with that -- a 7-8 sack type guy who's great against the run and great for team culture.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

As someone who has dabbled in the artform, Kelly is a master level troll 

like he's written 15 of these articles about So and so shouldn't be a first round pick and they are click bait 

there's a thin line between fries and shakes 

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Spotify

Well parroting what 500 more-famous websites & commentators have already said probably doesn't generate as many clicks ;)

Admittedly I wasn't banging the table for him, so the only dog I have in this race is the Jets picked him & I'm a Jets fan so I hope he's great. At least it's not a universal LOL from around the league, seeing how it would've surprised no one if he'd gone 10-15 picks higher. So if he does indeed flop it was at least a reasonable swing at the fences. 

We'll see what he is & what he isn't plenty soon.