Stephen A joins Quinn in sh*tting on Jets

5 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

He knows how to scream, pound the table, breath weird, and question others. The money that guys get paid to over react about sports is insane. But viewers watch. For example, Cowherd is wrong a ton of the time, but he's a multi millionaire. Skip just talks and questions stuff. So forth and so on. 

Stephen A Smith knows nothing about sports.  He’s a performer. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

maybe it's because there aren't any jets fans who really think stephen a is a good reporter.  he's a friggin moron and i'm sure i'm not the only who thinks so.

Can’t stand this guy. Just his manner of speaking , obnoxiousness and constant yelling makes it impossible for me to listen to a word he says. Smith is just God awful 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Stop watching ESPN when it's not a live sport. And even then, put it on mute. Absolute dog sh*t of a network. 

Agree 100%. The only shows I will watch and listen to on ESPN are “ Around the Horn” & PTI. Other than those to shows all live sporting events aired on that network are watched with the sound off

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Actually, I think he's a genius. He manages to get talked about and gain attention which is his job. It's such a simple thing to agitate, but it's pretty tough to to turn that into money which he has managed to do with a lucrative contract. I have greater distaste for the people who just can't wait to be upset and rush to report everything these 'reporters' say so they can get their outrage attention from other fans. 

i suppose you can make that case.  i'm sure most jets fans have been in work situations where you get passed by and some moron gets promoted.  honestly i don't see the attraction of stephen a on any level. espn can easily replace him.

16 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Is it just me or extra Jet hate this year? Safe to say Stephen A is not a believer 

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/33977010?fbclid=IwAR0GHUvObnju337xLorN7Vf3fJBMj2Ww2R8_bqLnxWypx12uTdLHhhd7lU0

We’ve won 6 out of 33 games in the last 2 years. A bunch of rookies aren’t changing that narrative until we start winning some games. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i suppose you can make that case.  i'm sure most jets fans have been in work situations where you get passed by and some moron gets promoted.  honestly i don't see the attraction of stephen a on any level. espn can easily replace him.

He's the highest paid on-air talent at the network. You may not personally have respect for his skills but he is a legitimate ratings draw and their number one personality.

The only reason Stephen A is "sh*ting on" the Jets is because there's a positive Jets narrative in the first place. If there weren't others that believed in us there weren't be a topic for him to have a "take" on.

Come September it's time for the Jets to prove people right or wrong.

• Upvote 1

Watched the clip. Trying to take emotion out of it, Stephen A. conceded Jets have weapons and Saleh's track record with the 49ers. He mentioned defensive ranks last year, but the Jets signed a lot of defensive free agents this year plus selected our draft picks who are highly regarded since that time. Saleh, with talent in San Fran, did have an impressive track record. The best course of action for the players in my opinion, like I have said in other threads, is to ignore sports twitter, insta, etc. Nothing good can come of it, and if they hear from other fans or people through the grapevine, just state to them or to themselves that I haven't payed attention to it and that's all. Saleh should also drive the point home that ratings and drama are a big factor for these talk shows, and right now piling on the Jets is a working formula for them. Meaning that Stephen A can emphasize the "Reserved for last place" line for the Jets like they are going to go 3-14 4-13, but he may actually believe they will be near 500, just the other teams in the division will be a bit better. Don't know what his record prediction is.

Alright so here’s Stephen A completely destroying the Jets calling them a dumpster fire essentially. And yes, while that has generally been the case these last 10 years or so it’s fair to wonder if we really are that bad? It’s obviously a very young team but when you break it down into a positional group we do look pretty good on paper.

OLine: should be an above average unit, especially if Becton comes back with a vengeance. It’s not crazy to say this could be a top 5 unit. 

RB: people are calling Hall the next best RB in the league. I will hold off on calling him a superstar until I see him prove it. But Hall and Michael Carter is a top 10 tandem in the league I’d think. 

WR: this unit is deep. Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Garret Wilson, Braxton Berrios, Denzel Mims. This could be a good to very good unit. 

TE: again, it looks like on paper it’s an above average TE room. Uzmoah, Conklin, Ruckert. Definitely solid/average with upside there.

Defensive side of the ball:

DLine: I think this is an above average unit as well. Lawson (hoping he’s recovered), QWill, JFM, Jermaine Johnson, Rankins, Shepard, Solomon Thomas, Huff, Clemons. Again this has the possibility of being a top 5 unit if it all clicks.

Safety: average? Lamarcus Joyner, Whitehead, Ashtyn Davis, Pinnock, Riley? Not bad could be ok I guess.

Corners: Good to very good? Sauce, DJ Reed, Bryce Hall, Michael Carter2, Brandon Echols 

LBs: kind of a thin positional group with not much after Quincy and CJ, probably the weakest positional group on team overall. 

Obviously it all comes down to Zach and the success of this team will largely come down to how he does. But to outright come out and say the Jets are “trash” I think is unfair. Douglas has done a very nice job of building these team up with talent. They will need to prove it on the field before the national image of them changes anytime soon. But I honestly think you could put the talent on this roster up there with alot of teams in this league right now and they matchup. Douglas has built a complete team on paper  

I get that us as Jets fans might be too over-the-top about next season, but saying they're 'trash' is just as bad.

He might as well say the Bengals are trash too. Not that I'm expecting the Jets to do what the Bengals did, but it's an example of how you can't really tell what's going to happen each season.

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Most national talking heads like S.A. that are covering every sport nationally are doing very little real analysis and just going with popular history and sentiment.  You will hear nothing new or interesting from any of them.

He still doesn’t know how to pronounce Saleh.  He says he knows Parcells got the Jets to a couple of championship games.  Really?  
He’s a clown who thinks he gets paid by the word.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Most of these national talking heads have no clue at all about he teams they talk about.  As in no clue at all.  Stephen A could not name 3 players on the jets.

It's even harder to name 1 pro bowlers on the jets

5 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

IMO jets just have too many “what ifs” attached to them to move out of the bottom until proven otherwise

People who say 'Jets will suck this year' will be continue to be validated until the Jets win their way out of the basement.  Shouldn't have been a decade-plus struggle but here we are. To be frank, we earned the rubber stamp of disapproval.  

• Upvote 1

We've been bad for over a decade now so, until this team proves something on the field, we're not going to get any credit from the sports media.  I can't get too upset at it because, the truth is, we're deserving of the criticism.  We have the longest playoff drought in the NFL, and by a lot.  

I do think this is the year we're finally going to show real progress to the point where the narrative will change though.  I don't expect us to win the division or anything like that but we should at least be respectable and put up a good fight against the better teams.  As excited as we all are (me included) about this past draft, we might still be another 1-2 years away from really turning things around.  Even Revis took a couple of years to become Revis.

When there are dozens of websites, youtube channels, blogs, forums and other ways to consume news about the Jets why listen to this assh*le or, quite frankly, 99% of the people on ESPN? 

I mean, holy sh*t, we're on the actual internet right here!

And yeah, I get a lot of those options suck too, but with a little bit of time and discernment, should be able to find some opinions from people other than some chattering grandstanding idiot. I mean, besides SAS, not the ones who post here. :-)

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We've been bad for over a decade now so, until this team proves something on the field, we're not going to get any credit from the sports media.  I can't get too upset at it because, the truth is, we're deserving of the criticism.  We have the longest playoff drought in the NFL, and by a lot.  

I do think this is the year we're finally going to show real progress to the point where the narrative will change though.  I don't expect us to win the division or anything like that but we should at least be respectable and put up a good fight against the better teams.  As excited as we all are (me included) about this past draft, we might still be another 1-2 years away from really turning things around.  Even Revis took a couple of years to become Revis.

Yet also… the JETS are almost in the top half of the league in playoff wins since Woody bought the team. A couple more years of even winning 1-2 playoff games almost puts them top 10.

Imagine in 1999 I told you a billionaire was going to buy the team and in the next 20 years the JETS would be in top half of the NFL for playoff wins… yet here we are and people still act like the JETS are bottom of the barrel.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-playoff-wins-since-2000

We've gone 11 years without a playoff appearance. Longest streak in the NFL. Very few if any franchises have lost as many games in that time.

The Jets are the laughing stock of the league until they win some games. That's just the way it's going to be. 

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We've gone 11 years without a playoff appearance. Longest streak in the NFL. Very few if any franchises have lost as many games in that time.

The Jets are the laughing stock of the league until they win some games. That's just the way it's going to be. 

That however is just a faulty, lazy way to look at pro sports and is the way most national media look at things.  Team A was good for years so all they do is gold, team B was bad for years so they stink.  Then when things change they talk as if they knew all along.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That however is just a faulty, lazy way to look at pro sports and is the way most national media look at things.  Team A was good for years so all they do is gold, team B was bad for years so they stink.  Then when things change they talk as if they knew all along.

Faulty, lazy or not. It is the reality. 

To expect deeper analysis from mainstream pundits like Stephen A Smith - a guy who almost certainly doesn't even know who Laken Tomlinson or DJ Reed are - is just hilariously naïve.

The Jets can earn respect with wins. Not draft grades. Until then they will just be the same Jets. 

40 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Faulty, lazy or not. It is the reality. 

To expect deeper analysis from mainstream pundits like Stephen A Smith - a guy who almost certainly doesn't even know who Laken Tomlinson or DJ Reed are - is just hilariously naïve.

The Jets can earn respect with wins. Not draft grades. Until then they will just be the same Jets. 

I do not expect it,  I am annoyed by it.  There are so many 'experts' in all fields that have a national platform and spew nonsense and have no clue, pro sports and especially pro football national media are the worst.

At least guys who have controversial hot takes like Simms and Orlovsky watch some tape and have something to backup their thoughts.

Someone needs to stand up to these guys on tv or ior podcasts and them then they don't know shi*

8 hours ago, sackdance said:

People who say 'Jets will suck this year' will be continue to be validated until the Jets win their way out of the basement.  Shouldn't have been a decade-plus struggle but here we are. To be frank, we earned the rubber stamp of disapproval.  

Agreed, just like how most of us assume lions will be terrible this year when they have added a lot of pieces 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:37 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I think it should be made a rule that you must have proposed a duel with pistols at 20 paces and it has to have been accepted before you can post a thread whining about a media personality. 

*Laughs in Aaron Burr