Ashtyn Davis

What’s everyone thoughts on Ashtyn Davis? Maybe I’m just an optimist, but I feel like this is the year he’ll break out. He is an athletic freak, but came out very raw. He missed training camp last year if I remember right. If he can just get his sh*t together he has all the potential to be a decent starting fs. Has the speed, agility, etc. 

He takes some terrible angles and it seems like a lot of time he doesn’t know what to do. Imo these are both correctable. He’ll be in year 3 so now it’s time to sink or swim. 

I hope he succeeds because we have a hole at fs currently. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

He takes some terrible angles and seems like a lot of time he doesn’t know what to do. Imo these are both correctable. He’ll be in year 3 so now it’s time to sink or swim. 

I’m with you here.  Odds are he doesn’t figure it out, but there is lots of upside if he does.  You can’t fix the roster at once, and he has a high ceiling, so he gets one more season.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I’m with you here.  Odds are he doesn’t figure it out, but there is lots of upside if he does.  You can’t fix the roster at once, and he has a high ceiling, so he gets one more season.  

Yea the chances aren’t super high, but the potential is definitely there. If he doesn’t break out this year then I’m done with him (until next year lol) 

• Upvote 1

The way I look at the FS position is we have 4 guys.  2 vets and 2 young guys.  Lamarcus Joyner is coming back from injury - no idea what he might give us.  Will Parks has been a journeyman who played well after we picked him up at the end of last year.  And the two young guys are PInnock and Davis. 

I don't think you can count on any one of these 4 to know they will play at an above average level for 17 games, but if two of the four can give us solid play, we should be fine.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Imo, there is nothing about him that would suggest or give hope that he's going to have a break out year. Sure, he could. But I don't see any reason at all to expect that from him. At this point I'd be pleased if he could be a solid ST asset and manage not to be a complete liability when he inevitably needs to fill in when for an injury. 

There are probably a couple players you could make an argument for expecting some level of a break out season; Wilson, Moore, maybe MC1. Davis just isn't on my list, not even close tbh. At this point he's an after thought. I don't even see him taking playing time from Pinnock. I could even see MC2 or Echols getting playing time over him if Hall can make a transition to slot CB.

6 hours ago, BurntDice said:

What’s everyone thoughts on Ashtyn Davis? Maybe I’m just an optimist, but I feel like this is the year he’ll break out. He is an athletic freak, but came out very raw. He missed training camp last year if I remember right. If he can just get his sh*t together he has all the potential to be a decent starting fs. Has the speed, agility, etc. 

He takes some terrible angles and it seems like a lot of time he doesn’t know what to do. Imo these are both correctable. He’ll be in year 3 so now it’s time to sink or swim. 

Well he is going to be counted on less, so that should help him. Give him time to hit the ground running without the spotlight on him. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

He sucks, and JD drafted him in 2020.  The year of baddddddddddddddd picks.

You don’t know how a player will be until after year 3. Right outa salehs mouth. I’ve still not given up on becton, mims, or Davis. You never know. If 1 or 2 of them breaks out then great 

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2022 at 4:35 PM, BurntDice said:

thisnguy is a bust. Wish you were right but even the most journeyman or green rook is less of a liability

• Upvote 1

I saw an article awhile back that actually logically explained JD’s first draft class.  It was a combination of trying to get the best RAS/athletes at each position (without any real feedback from the coaches) or picks requested with bad feedback from the coaches.   He was also working with Mac’s/Idzik’s/Tannebaum’s/Bradway’s scouts.  

Guys like Mims, Davis and Zuniga had great athletic scores, but there were obviously issues with the playing football thing.  

I don’t see Davis contributing this year.  He will likely make the team because safeties get hurt a lot.   Its water under the bridge mostly.  Mims will flash enough to be WR 5.  All signs appear to me the Jets are drafting more sensically now.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:13 AM, Maxman said:

Well he is going to be counted on less, so that should help him. Give him time to hit the ground running without the spotlight on him. 

Problem is he was drafted to be a Center Fielder with plenty of responsibilities, not a role player.  So I have no idea what him as an effective role player really looks like.  

Davis is a freaky good athlete who needs freaky good coaching to help develop him. He's played so little football compared to most of these kids coming out. SO that's the key right there. How many resources has Saleh dedicated to helping Davis develop? Was/Is it enough? The very fact we're having this thread would say "No, He's not yet been developed to the point of being a top FS.

TBH, Ashtyn Davis reminds me of a player the Jets move on from, and he does much better for his next team. A Danny Woodhead type (and many more).

If Davis spent the OS cramming for his first OTA, memorizing Saleh's battle plan frontwards and backwards, practiced day and night taking the right angles, then we should see a big improvement over years past.

He's one kid I really want to watch this TC. He's a really great kid, feet on the ground type, and I'm pulling for him hard.