Rookie buying dinner is bull sh*t

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I have always thought about this as a good gesture, I mean rookies have to cover the meal no big deal but this is ridiculous. Over 50k its just such a waste. I don't think they should be expected to pay for the meal when it is so expensive. It's actually a really sh*tty move by the vets. I wasn't always against it but my god it's ridiculous. I don't know think they should take the team out to McDonald's but damn better go to red lobster or some chain place. 

If I was a rookie, no way I want to do that bull sh*t.

YEah, I really feel for millionaires who have to take out multi-millionaires for dinner.  S-U-C-K-Y!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, DJF71 said:

$50K to them is like McDonald's to me. Its all relative. 

I catch your drift, but it isn't, even for them. At 50k 20 meals is a million dollars. Which is why most athletes end up broke a couple years out of the league, and most Americans live paycheck to paycheck. People in general are financially illiterate, and don't think too far ahead. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I catch your drift, but it isn't, even for them. At 50k 20 meals is a million dollars. Which is why most athletes end up broke a couple years out of the league, and most Americans live paycheck to paycheck. People in general are financially illiterate, and don't think too far ahead. 

And many are just illiterate. 

21 minutes ago, thshadow said:

BTW, is there some story that motivated this post?  Which rookie paid $50k for dinner?

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-first-rounder-garrett-wilson-rookie-dinner-podcast-nfl-040826316.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Around 45 mins into the video they bring up the rookie dinner.

Fred Tayor talking about his time in NE mentions that Tom would come to the rookie dinner, order a $5K bottle of wine.  Take one sip and leave.  What an ass.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I have always thought about this as a good gesture, I mean rookies have to cover the meal no big deal but this is ridiculous. Over 50k its just such a waste. I don't think they should be expected to pay for the meal when it is so expensive. It's actually a really sh*tty move by the vets. I wasn't always against it but my god it's ridiculous. I don't know think they should take the team out to McDonald's but damn better go to red lobster or some chain place. 

I agree, hey rookies buying a meal?  Fine but the huge expense of fine dining is stupid.  Order 40 buckets of kfc.  There is your meal.

Maybe even more stupid is the QB has to automatically buy his oline gifts each year.

It was so laughable a few years back when Darnold was given grief for buying personalized BBQ stuff for his oline when they were the worst oline in the league that got him killed each game and could not even snap the football half the time.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s horrible simply because you shouldn’t be getting players accustomed to spending so much, so casually that early in their lives.

It can lead to a lot of bad habit that have destroyed even some of the highest earners in sports. If you have the attitude of “I can afford it, I have millions” everytime you make a purchase then you may not have them for as long as you think.

Awful practice. The exact opposite of the message you should be sending these kids.

It’s a good will, bonding exercise as well as a long time tradition.  Along the lines of units meeting for weekly dinners, QBs buying OL Rolex’s etc

You guys are missing the point of the exercise 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1