USC & UCLA leaving Pac 12

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

They just need to do 2 big power conferences, expand the playoffs, put some structure around NIL and call it a day.  48 total, 24 teams a conference, 12 team divisions, salary cap of sorts, winners of conference make playoff with 4 others to be decided upon by committee or whatever.  It's the only way there will be parody and it's not the same teams over and over again in the playoffs. 

It’s essentially pro football. 

the end of power 5 is just around the corner. This certainly will cripple the PAC-12 terminally and create the start of SEC vs Big Ten super conferences that will eventually consume the rest.

It’s about marketing $$…  

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

the end of power 5 is just around the corner. This certainly will cripple the PAC-12 terminally and create the start of SEC vs Big Ten super conferences that will eventually consume the rest.

It’s about marketing $$…  

These mega-conferences are also basically a guarantee that a split from the NCAA is coming very soon.  

It’s much easier for 2-3 conference commissioners to form an alliance and create their own league than it would be with 5-7 commissioners, as would have been necessary in years prior.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

These mega-conferences are also basically a guarantee that a split from the NCAA is coming very soon.  

It’s much easier for 2-3 conference commissioners to form an alliance and create their own league than it would be with 5-7 commissioners, as would have been necessary in years prior.  

I could definitely see this happening.  I feel confident that, one way or another, college football is going to change significantly in the coming years.  I think golf might too.

• Upvote 1

I was pretty shocked at this since I'm a big Pac 12 fan. I read that part of this at least has to do with a lack of revenue in the Pac 12 esp coming via the Pac 12 Network which apparently isn't being operated well and has internal problems. It's a different world when not only players can easily switch teams but teams can switch conferences. 

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I was pretty shocked at this since I'm a big Pac 12 fan. I read that part of this at least has to do with a lack of revenue in the Pac 12 esp coming via the Pac 12 Network which apparently isn't being operated well and has internal problems. It's a different world when not only players can easily switch teams but teams can switch conferences. 

You think the invite goes out to BYU to join Pac 12? 

• Upvote 1

There are also stories that Oregon and Washington asked the Big Ten as to potential membership and were just notified by the Big Ten that at least temporarily they would not be looking for additional members (you'd assume that means after admitting USC and UCLA). 

I don’t like it but if the super conference thing is happening let’s go all the way with it so here’s my proposal:
1. Send ucLa and Lsc back to pac12 (pac 12 no longer part of NCAA, nobody cares anyway)
2. Kick Rutgers and Maryland out of B1G
3. Notre Dame joins B1G
4. Texas OU and Clemson to SEC
5. National championship game is played between B1G and SEC champions
6. ACC becomes SEC minor league. ACC title game participants are promoted to the SEC while the worst team in each SEC division is relegated to the ACC

Or let’s go back to the BCS. 

• Upvote 1

Remember that the NCAA is an entity that hands down sanctions for coaches buying thier team pizza after film sessions. Any love they get is from nostalgia. They need to go the way of MLB umpires. Time has passed them by. 

• Post of the Week 2

NCAA remind me of FIFA. And similar entities hiding behind some fiction of a free marketplace. Actually I correct myself - they don't hide their anti-free marketplace behavior at all. Nice work if you can get it. Ironically the rise of these new super conferences further highlights the monopolistic behavior of the universities themselves. Universities are nothing more than big business. And to the victor go their ill-gotten spoils.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, McNeil said:

NCAA remind me of FIFA. And similar entities hiding behind some fiction of a free marketplace. Actually I correct myself - they don't hide their anti-free marketplace behavior at all. Nice work if you can get it. Ironically the rise of these new super conferences further highlights the monopolistic behavior of the universities themselves. Universities are nothing more than big business. And to the victor go their ill-gotten spoils.

Think I agree with you mostly. My thing is why can't the Alabama AD call the Notre Dame AD and say 'Hey let's have a home and home in '24 and '25'. I'm not sure why this middle man, the NCAA, was ever needed. Uniformity of rules? That doesn't take something the size of the NCAA to accomplish.