Would We Take This For The Next2-3 Years?

Yr.   Yds.     TD.  INT.     Rating.      PCT

22.  2536.    13.    6.     95.6.         65.2

21.    3734.    21.   14.      89.6.       67.2

20.    3819.    33.    7.     106.5.      65.5

19.     2742.    22.    6.    117.5.       70.3

34 years old Would come way cheaper as far as $ and draft compensation that all the names talked about daily here. Is 2-3 in the playoffs, 754 yards, 7td 5Int 85.2 rating. 

It’s Ryan Tannehill, and I would be more than OK with it.

• Upvote 4

Tannehill’s numbers are improved by the best RB in the league, AJ Brown, and good playcalling. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player, but lately he’s been unable to stay on the field and has had a good team around him. If the Jets have a good offseason, they will still need a QB better than him.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You can how much he dropped when he lost AJ Brown.   Take a QB’s main target away and they are not as good. Shocking

i want much better but might be best we can do. 

How do you see that?  He only played 12 games in 2022.  Comparted to 2021 he threw for 8 less ypg.  His TD percentage was identical and his INT percentage was almost a full percentage point better.  His completion percentage dropped 2 percentage points.  Seems fairly consistent to me.  

13 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Stay the course, stick with the kid QB , keep drafting well and eventually you win, not once but continuously, it’s about developing an organization, not about another quick fix.

Yeah I still think Zach will be the Jets QB of the future but not next season. I think management also believes he is going to be a good QB in this league - but not next season. Get a decent veteran that can get u to the playoffs next year and take it from there. Garropalo and Tannyhill have been the championship games and Super Bowls with very good supporting casts. The Jets supposedly have a good supporting cast right now right? Hmmm. Maybe. But If you can’t get Rodgers the Jets should think hard about getting one of these players who would be a lot cheaper and would enable the Jets to get maybe another decent starter in free agency. 

I have a hard time separating Tannehill's success from Derrick Henry. I probably need to do a deeper dive into how he has looked in the games Henry has missed. This year they got obliterated by injuries.

Tannehill is the older less injury prone Jimmy G. I think I trust Jimmy's play more when healthy but I can understand why Tannehill may be attractive. If you think baseline QB play gets you somewhere and then you can develop Zach behind the scenes, that's fine. Honestly, it's probably a pretty attractive option given his perceived open market cost. I could see it being Rodgers, Jimmy G, Tannehill as their list.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

How do you see that?  He only played 12 games in 2022.  Comparted to 2021 he threw for 8 less ypg.  His TD percentage was identical and his INT percentage was almost a full percentage point better.  His completion percentage dropped 2 percentage points.  Seems fairly consistent to me.  

I saw that because I didn’t see that he only played 12 games.  So you are correct sir. 

• Upvote 1

I'd be ok with Tannehill if we miss out on the others (Jimmy G/Rodgers etc) but people will freak out, b/c we don't necessarily make the playoff with that guy.  Its a 50/50 proposition, compared to someone like Rodgers which is about as close to a guarantee as anything in football..

3 hours ago, undertow said:

People don't want to hear it but Jimmy G and Tannehill probably get us to the same place Carr does without the long term commitment. 

Garoppolo is different in my opinion because he's a little better than those two when he's healthy but way more of an injury risk.

Tannehill and Carr are the same class of QB in my opinion. Decent QBs that are only ever as good as the team around them. Both maybe have their best years behind them. Their 2023 contracts are nearly identical cost.

Tannehill is more of an injury risk and he's only signed for one more year. Either the team has to be prepared to move on after just one year or re-sign a mid-30s QB to a potentially larger contract than Carr currently has for additional years. That necessitates either drafting a QB who Douglas hopes is ready in 2024 (or ZW lol) or jumping back into looking for another bridge. I doubt if Tannehill has a good year in 2023 he's going to accept a one year contract when he could probably get two or three years from another team. OTOH bringing in Carr is pretty much a commitment to rolling with Carr through his contract which has a couple hefty years after 2023.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Garoppolo is different in my opinion because he's a little better than those two when he's healthy but way more of an injury risk.

Tannehill and Carr are the same class of QB in my opinion. Decent QBs that are only ever as good as the team around them. Both maybe have their best years behind them. Their 2023 contracts are nearly identical cost.

Tannehill is more of an injury risk and he's only signed for one more year. Either the team has to be prepared to move on after just one year or re-sign a mid-30s QB to a potentially larger contract than Carr currently has for additional years. That necessitates either drafting a QB who Douglas hopes is ready in 2024 (or ZW lol) or jumping back into looking for another bridge. I doubt if Tannehill has a good year in 2023 he's going to accept a one year contract when he could probably get two or three years from another team. OTOH bringing in Carr is pretty much a commitment to rolling with Carr through his contract which has a couple hefty years after 2023.

That's really the debate imo do you want to make a 3-5 year commitment to Carr or would you rather sign Jimmy G or Tannehill two QBs that will get you to the same place and most likely have outs after one year and reevaluate the position in 2024....either way I'm not gonna lose my mind if we lose out on Carr and end up with a stop gap like most of the fanbase none of these guys are winning playoff road games in KC, Cincy, or Buffalo

• Upvote 1

We may have little choice if Rodgers does not want to come to NY.  If we are going to be forced to go the second tier QB route, Tannehill is as good an option as any, but I would only be satisfied with that if we use 13 to go get a legit #1 WR in trade.   Our version of the AJ Brown or Stefon Diggs trade.  There were reports a couple of weeks ago that Cincy might look to move Tee Higgins -- lets go get him, or someone similar -- to pair with G Wilson and give our QB some great weapons that might help make a mediocre QB look better.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, section314 said:

Yr.   Yds.     TD.  INT.     Rating.      PCT

22.  2536.    13.    6.     95.6.         65.2

21.    3734.    21.   14.      89.6.       67.2

20.    3819.    33.    7.     106.5.      65.5

19.     2742.    22.    6.    117.5.       70.3

34 years old Would come way cheaper as far as $ and draft compensation that all the names talked about daily here. Is 2-3 in the playoffs, 754 yards, 7td 5Int 85.2 rating. 

It’s Ryan Tannehill, and I would be more than OK with it.

The OP makes a very good point.

I will eat the cheese sandwich if I know the kids are going to need a lot of food over the next couple years.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

We may have little choice if Rodgers does not want to come to NY.  If we are going to be forced to go the second tier QB route, Tannehill is as good an option as any, but I would only be satisfied with that if we use 13 to go get a legit #1 WR in trade.   Our version of the AJ Brown or Stefon Diggs trade.  There were reports a couple of weeks ago that Cincy might look to move Tee Higgins -- lets go get him, or someone similar -- to pair with G Wilson and give our QB some great weapons that might help make a mediocre QB look better.

It’s not a bad option considering you don’t need to burn valuable draft capital to get him.  You still have a lot assets to improve the rest of the roster and would allow you to bring along a newly drafted QB in 2024 slowly.   

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Stay the course, stick with the kid QB , keep drafting well and eventually you win, not once but continuously, it’s about developing an organization, not about another quick fix.

"Another" quick fix? When was the last fix?

This "sustained success" desire is a pipe dream. How about ONE successful season for a change? 

Sustained success comes when you have Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. We're not about to acquire a coach or a QB that resembles either. 

How about an enjoyable Fall one time?