The Aaron Rodgers Era is here - Jets vs Bills Official Game Thread

Maxman

Buffalo Bills at New York Jets | 8:15 p.m. (Mon)
Carl Cheffers

Carl Cheffers Impact on Bills at Jets

The New York Jets host division rivals the Buffalo Bills on MNF as home underdogs.

Let’s assess the strengths and weaknesses of both teams from a penalty perspective and how the officiating of Carl Cheffers will potentially impact this game.

Penalty Tendencies:

Cheffers led the NFL with the highest per-game penalty average in 2022, his second consecutive season leading the NFL in this category.

The Jets were excellent in home games last season, averaging just 4.25 penalties per game at MetLife Stadium. Only the Falcons and 49ers were better in this category.

The Jets were the least penalized team in the fourth quarter of games in 2022. Only 22% of their overall penalties were committed in the final quarter – well below the NFL average of 32.8%.

Cheffers called only 44.8% of his overall penalties on the home team in 2022.

Cheffers has ranked in the top three calling false start penalties in three of the past six seasons.

Cheffers has averaged 10.2 roughing-the-passer penalties per season since 2018.

The Jets were the only team to not benefit from a roughing-the-passer penalty in 2022. The addition of Aaron Rodgers will change that in 2023. Rodgers has been the beneficiary of an average of four roughing-the-passer penalties per season since 2019.

Cheffers ranked fourth overall for unnecessary roughness penalties per game average in 2022 and has ranked in the top five in three of the past five seasons.

The Jets ranked in the top five for unnecessary roughness penalties last season. Avoiding these infractions has to be a point of emphasis for them in 2023.

Intentional grounding is a penalty with some gray area in the interpretation. That is less the case with Cheffers. He has called this penalty more than any referee over the past five seasons including ranking No. 1 overall twice in that span. Perhaps more importantly, 67% of intentional grounding penalties called by Cheffers were assessed on the road team.

The Bottom Line:

Home teams in divisional match-ups were 5-1 with Carl Cheffers in 2022. Since 2016, home teams in divisional games as we have on MNF are an impressive 26-14 (65%) with Cheffers in charge of proceedings.

The Jets were excellent in avoiding penalties at home in 2022. They are going to need to be every bit as efficient in 2023.

There are a lot of new pieces added to the mix this season – most notably Rodgers.

The Jets get a favorable assignment out of the gate with Cheffers officiating.

That said, you still have to execute efficiently as a team. Cheffers has no issues calling penalties, as evidenced by his per-game average the past two seasons.

In what figures to be an extremely close contest, the fourth-quarter penalty efficiency of the Jets may be the difference.

Combine that with the outstanding record for home teams in divisional games with Cheffers officiating, and that may be enough to secure the victory.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Buffalo Bills at New York Jets | 8:15 p.m. (Mon)
Carl Cheffers

Carl Cheffers Impact on Bills at Jets

The New York Jets host division rivals the Buffalo Bills on MNF as home underdogs.

Let’s assess the strengths and weaknesses of both teams from a penalty perspective and how the officiating of Carl Cheffers will potentially impact this game.

Penalty Tendencies:

Cheffers led the NFL with the highest per-game penalty average in 2022, his second consecutive season leading the NFL in this category.

The Jets were excellent in home games last season, averaging just 4.25 penalties per game at MetLife Stadium. Only the Falcons and 49ers were better in this category.

The Jets were the least penalized team in the fourth quarter of games in 2022. Only 22% of their overall penalties were committed in the final quarter – well below the NFL average of 32.8%.

Cheffers called only 44.8% of his overall penalties on the home team in 2022.

Cheffers has ranked in the top three calling false start penalties in three of the past six seasons.

Cheffers has averaged 10.2 roughing-the-passer penalties per season since 2018.

The Jets were the only team to not benefit from a roughing-the-passer penalty in 2022. The addition of Aaron Rodgers will change that in 2023. Rodgers has been the beneficiary of an average of four roughing-the-passer penalties per season since 2019.

Cheffers ranked fourth overall for unnecessary roughness penalties per game average in 2022 and has ranked in the top five in three of the past five seasons.

The Jets ranked in the top five for unnecessary roughness penalties last season. Avoiding these infractions has to be a point of emphasis for them in 2023.

Intentional grounding is a penalty with some gray area in the interpretation. That is less the case with Cheffers. He has called this penalty more than any referee over the past five seasons including ranking No. 1 overall twice in that span. Perhaps more importantly, 67% of intentional grounding penalties called by Cheffers were assessed on the road team.

The Bottom Line:

Home teams in divisional match-ups were 5-1 with Carl Cheffers in 2022. Since 2016, home teams in divisional games as we have on MNF are an impressive 26-14 (65%) with Cheffers in charge of proceedings.

The Jets were excellent in avoiding penalties at home in 2022. They are going to need to be every bit as efficient in 2023.

There are a lot of new pieces added to the mix this season – most notably Rodgers.

The Jets get a favorable assignment out of the gate with Cheffers officiating.

That said, you still have to execute efficiently as a team. Cheffers has no issues calling penalties, as evidenced by his per-game average the past two seasons.

In what figures to be an extremely close contest, the fourth-quarter penalty efficiency of the Jets may be the difference.

Combine that with the outstanding record for home teams in divisional games with Cheffers officiating, and that may be enough to secure the victory.

I've never seen analysis like this.  Pretty interesting.  

I worry about Sauce with flag happy refs -for whatever it's worth, otherwise this defiantly seems to work in the Jets favor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

After years of being bullied, it’s our time.

This is how I imagine all of us when we continue to pressure Allen while winning big in the 4th quarter.

Calvin Lockhart Fighting GIF by Warner Archive

They'll do to Allen what Cincy did with Burrow if it gets to that ...

image.jpeg.d6f0f3c5a8b1c880d382fc0070c33699.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I have no idea what we will see tonight.  I do think our D matches up well against their offence but Allen will have his freshest legs all season and they have had a really long time to come up with an offensive game plan.

Offense looked OK in preseason but not sure what we get  tonight and Rodgers is historically slow out of the gates.

Will be fun, I am pretty excited.

get a free trial of Youtube TV. In includes ESPN. Than cancel before the free trial ends.

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

I see that Vinny is honarary captain. I wear his jersey to every game but was not even taking out of the closet tonight because yes I am superstitous.

question is though if the jets are bringing him out - is it ok to wear?

it is either wear or it or no jersey at all

Vinny is a Jets/Long Island legend.  You wear that jersey tonight and you wear it with pride.

A little side story, your captains 1st time was on the football field where vinny played his high school ball.  Classy guy I was back in the day.  HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Have no fear jet fans.  Tonight is going to be an epic beatdown and a heck of a way to start the Aaron rodgers era.  Our D will suffocate Josh Allen as usual and the Jets are going to coast to a 31-13 victory.

Get in your seats early jet fans.  Its going to be a heck of a party tonight.

On my way. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yep.. my house is under construction, I have to move out for 10 days starting today. My GF doesn't have ESPN and the Charlotte Jets bar is 40 minutes from her house. Not sure what I am going to do.

I will be driving over an hour during rush hour to get to the Jet bar in Chicago this evening.  You can handle 40 minutes to watch with a bar packed full of Jet fans.  It will be worth the trip.

May be an image of 7 people and text

• Upvote 2