50 years of futility...I'm done with the NYJ

6 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Einstein said insanity is repeating the same task repeatedly and expecting different results. That is a pure description of the NYJ and its management.

Watching last night's game I even said to my wife when it started: "I hope we don't see another Testaverde situation", as we were watching that game in 1999 live and saw the team's SB hopes go down the drain with an over-the-hill QB getting injured, down for the season. Sure enough - it happened again.

The NYJ should never have been in this situation, they have wasted so many top-5 picks in the last 5-7 years on bad choices, especially at QB. That AR got injured was just a deserved kick in the face to the owner, who is a clueless tool, and the rest of his management team.

After enduring this garbage for over 50 years, from the Marino fake spike, picking O'Brien over Marino in the draft, losing to CLE in 1987 after being up 20-10 with 4 min left, Marvin Jones fiasco, Mud Bowl fiasco, and so many other really frustrating, crushing events tied to this team, I am now announcing to the World (who of course does not care, but I need to get it off my chest) that I am no longer following the team or a fan of it.

Following a pro sports team is meant to bring excitement and joy, and outside one or two years in the past 40, it has just been an unbearable ride for too many seasons. Did I mention Rich Kotite?

As one gets older, they realize that there is more road behind than ahead, and I'd rather spend my last few years on this earth rooting for a team that is not so badly run, and move on. I hope things eventually turn around for the team, I really do, and I admire those of you who have been fans as long as I have and are still willing to stick with them - I just can't. If they do someday win a title, it'll be that much sweeter for a team that has been a league doormat for a long, long time.

I am switching my allegience to a team that is consistency intelligently managed, has drafted well over the decades, and has had a ton of players I've really liked.  I guess its kind of ironic the account name I picked, since I will no longer be a fan of the team.

Which team I will be giving my support for moving forward doesn't matter from your perspective, I just have too many other frustrating things going on in my life to absorb this BS from the NYJ any longer. They are literally the WAS Generals of the NFL. Good luck to all of you.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Einstein said insanity is repeating the same task repeatedly and expecting different results. That is a pure description of the NYJ and its management.

Watching last night's game I even said to my wife when it started: "I hope we don't see another Testaverde situation", as we were watching that game in 1999 live and saw the team's SB hopes go down the drain with an over-the-hill QB getting injured, down for the season. Sure enough - it happened again.

The NYJ should never have been in this situation, they have wasted so many top-5 picks in the last 5-7 years on bad choices, especially at QB. That AR got injured was just a deserved kick in the face to the owner, who is a clueless tool, and the rest of his management team.

After enduring this garbage for over 50 years, from the Marino fake spike, picking O'Brien over Marino in the draft, losing to CLE in 1987 after being up 20-10 with 4 min left, Marvin Jones fiasco, Mud Bowl fiasco, and so many other really frustrating, crushing events tied to this team, I am now announcing to the World (who of course does not care, but I need to get it off my chest) that I am no longer following the team or a fan of it.

Following a pro sports team is meant to bring excitement and joy, and outside one or two years in the past 40, it has just been an unbearable ride for too many seasons. Did I mention Rich Kotite?

As one gets older, they realize that there is more road behind than ahead, and I'd rather spend my last few years on this earth rooting for a team that is not so badly run, and move on. I hope things eventually turn around for the team, I really do, and I admire those of you who have been fans as long as I have and are still willing to stick with them - I just can't. If they do someday win a title, it'll be that much sweeter for a team that has been a league doormat for a long, long time.

I am switching my allegience to a team that is consistency intelligently managed, has drafted well over the decades, and has had a ton of players I've really liked.  I guess its kind of ironic the account name I picked, since I will no longer be a fan of the team.

Which team I will be giving my support for moving forward doesn't matter from your perspective, I just have too many other frustrating things going on in my life to absorb this BS from the NYJ any longer. They are literally the WAS Generals of the NFL. Good luck to all of you.

Perseverance is a virtue, which I'm guessing you don't have much of.

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of my dad growing up, while watching the Jets on our  small 19 inch B/W TV. As soon as things got bad he'd get up while loudly voicing his frustration and turn it off while we all groaned and complained to turn it back on.... which he ALWAYS did.

Hang in there, it's about the ride anyway!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Signing off, good luck to you all and the NYJ, maybe they can pull off a SB and surprise us all.

Soft.

In all seriousness, it is football, entertainment, a diversion from real life problems.

I have 55 years in this team and some on this board have more. Many have significantly less but understand and have endured the frustration as well . It is not about number of years you have, it is about your ability to endure to the end.

Re-consider and stick it out - if not for yourself but for the young guys on here. They need as many of us old timers to pass as Jets fans so whatever Namath did dies with us and then they are good to go.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Good bye.... Don't care... 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Sorry to interrupt you but Einstein never said that.

He also never said, "Not everything that counts can be counted.”

I wish you well in your next fandom. Godspeed.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Sorry to interrupt you but Einstein never said that.

He also never said, "Not everything that counts can be counted.”

I wish you well in your next fandom. Godspeed.

One quote that comes to my mind is this one from the movie Clockwise (John Cleese) ...

"It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand".

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/246147-it-s-not-the-despair-laura-i-can-take-the-despair

We're all used to despair, we've had plenty of it over the years / decades. This year, for once, we had hope. Real hope. And I think that's what is hitting people the most.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

9 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

In the past that worked, but after last night's fiasco and the realization ZW is a total bust, I just can't deal with this team any more. It's like the Knicks, as long as Dolan is owner they will NEVER win a championship, and I've endured enough preventable disasters by this team.  Oh I forgot to mention some others, like the Peyton Manning scenario, and the team going 10-1 in 1986 and then losing 6 straight games, or losing 45-3 on MNF, and losing 38-3 on MNF, and being unable to give away my season ticket games for entire seasons because they sucked so bad.  I've paid my dues, and even my brother, who also grew up a fan and split the season tix with me, asked why I still rooted for them if they frustrated me so much?

I took my 3 NYJ hats, two jerseys, three t-shirts, 2 mini helmets, and signed footballs, and threw them in the garbage this morning.  

so you bother to post on a Jets forum and couldn't even bother to give away your signed footballs?

pathetic.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Have a good day man we'll see you tomorrow. 

I suspect we’ll see you soon. This post has “Jet fan,” written all over it. 

• Upvote 1

How many times have you been married? 

The win on Monday night was one of the best efforts I’ve ever seen from this team.  You are a fraud, get lost.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rangers1 said:

Just think it could be worse.

how many superbowls have the Bills won, how many have the browns an lions been to

oh and the mighty Dolphins won their last one 50 years ago. 
I for one hate these last 54 years on futility but just can’t stop rooting

Me too.  Everything he said was basically accurate.  Woody is a tool. But the excitement that had me JUMP off the coach when Wilson caught that TD and SCREAM "Run Mother Fukka" on the punt return is who I am.   I'll always be a JET.

• Upvote 1

I feel your pain as another long-suffering Jets fan of 55 years! But for me, the Jets are my addiction and I have also sworn them off during a few offseasons over the last 15 years, but I always keep coming back to them when the preseason starts. I don't know if you'll be like me and come back or if you're really gone for good, but this is definitely one of the worst unlucky breaks we have ever been dealt. But at this point in my life, I feel like I'm too old to get a divorce from the Jets and start over with a new team.

I can certainly understand the OP's frustration and agree overall that ownership has been the root cause of the major pitfalls this franchise has faced.

However, I don't see how this is ownership, gm, or he's fault. Do the Rams regret trading a lot for Stafford and getting a ring? Their HC is an offensive wizard and needed to trade for a veteran QB to get over the hump. There's nothing wrong with that.

What happened to Rodgers was certainly more of the Same Old Jets misery. But you can't identify anyone as a fault for this. Getting Aaron Rodgers put this team in the best position to compete for a championship since 1998/1999. It was a move that they had to make, and I don't think Rodger's career is over. I see him coming back next year and us hopefully being able to compete.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  I love all the drama from the folks who have to start their own threads for something that nobody cares about.

But at least you win the award for most ironic user name.

Hip Hop Television GIF by WE tv