It’s Official Douglas Jets GM: MERGED

Think of this:

In literally one year, this organization drafted one of the best QB prospects (jury is out, but looking good) in the past five years, we fired Todd Bowles, Mike McCagnan, and hired one of the better minds in football right now, who spent a decade and a half with Ozzy Newsome, in Joe Douglas.

WTF is going on?  What, are we going to start making the playoffs now or something?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, isired said:
2 hours ago, genot said:
Gase

That's why I think the length of the process and the back and forth is a good sign: I think theres no way Douglas settled for anything less than final say on the 53. He's not goo g to be Gase's puppet. If he was he would have been signed 30 seconds after he landed.

Why do people keep saying this? The new GM was ALWAYS going to get draft and 53 man control. The back and forth was over Money.

• Upvote 4

Why do people keep saying this? The new GM was ALWAYS going to get draft and 53 man control. The back and forth was over Money.
NFL guys all assumed a share of say over the roster at minimum when Gase was involved in the firing and ran the hiting of the new GM. I heard more than one say it.

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Are we allowed to look forward to his presser or is @Warfish going to convince us that any time spent at the podium is time away from him GM’ing and will ruin the team? Lol

You can look forward to anything you like.  I am sure the cliches and non-speak will be awesome!  

53 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes the control issues were brought up and made clear in the interview process. Bye all accounts Douglas appears to be loyal to those he is associated with. Not an ego maniac. So I believe money was the thing not just for him but for those he wants to be associated with as the GM. 

SNJ...…  SAME NEW JETS!!  Maybe the worm has finally turned for our beloved franchise.

I expect a brighter future.  Most of us will.  Christopher Johnson deserves to finally get some credit.  I wonder if he will get it.  Doesn't really matter though, does it??

Capable Management, capable roster, success to follow....

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

"In other words", he still would've drafted Mr. Quinnen Williams with the third overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.  Well done...

Not necessarily.  Eagles traded back out of first round in 2018 and traded up in R1 in 2019.  They did not have first round pick in 17 due to Wentz deal.  It was Roseman calling the shots in Philly, but the Eagles, with Douglas on staff, were more aggressive in navigating the top of the draft then we have been.  No way of knowing what Douglas might have done in R1.  Maybe he would have still picked Williams, but we don't know.

• Upvote 2

Adam Gase got GM he wanted, now he has to make it work

June 8, 2019 | 3:25am

Enlarge Image
Adam Gase and Joe Douglas
Adam Gase and Joe Douglas Bill Kostroun; Getty Images

No one, aside from Bill Belichick, has more power than Jon Gruden. And so Gruden handpicked Mike Mayock as his general manager in Oakland.

It is a true partnership only because Gruden has implicit trust in Mayock as a football man and elite talent evaluator.

Because of the Jets ownership’s recent buttfumbling, Adam Gase was knighted with enough power to assist Christopher Johnson in their GM search.

Which ended Friday night with the triumphant hiring of Joe Douglas.

The apple of Adam’s eye.

Gase gets his man.

And maybe, just maybe, Johnson gets his strategic thinker.

“I think that they hit a home run with the bases loaded with those two guys,” Hall of Fame NFL executive Gil Brandt told The Post.

It is the best-case scenario because this can only work if Douglas and Gase are philosophically aligned on players and on their vision for the foreseeable future.

That’s a big if, as always, because history keeps reminding us there has been one and only one guarantee in the last 51 years around the Jets, the famous one by Broadway Joe before Super Bowl III

image.gif.29724705e2ff419fbb7b0dd9867498a1.gif

The Jets’ front office structure will work only when the GM and head coach develop the kind of partnership that John Idzik-Rex Ryan and Mike Maccagnan-Todd Bowles never developed. And that Maccagnan-Gase never had a chance to develop once Johnson made like Greg Louganis on his deep dive into the operational pool.

Douglas has the pelts. He learned his craft under former two-time champion Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome and most recently under Eagles champion GM Howie Roseman. Big Joe D., as he is called, worked 16 years in Baltimore before bonding with Gase in 2015 while both were with the Bears.

“I think he’s a very, very good football person,” Brandt said. “I think he does a great job evaluating the draft, and I think that they have a good system there that he’ll bring with him from Philadelphia.

“I think he’ll probably be the best hire they made in about 25 years outside of this head coach they just hired.”

It was Douglas who championed the cause of a Delaware quarterback named Joe Flacco to Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta before the 2008 draft, and he also was involved in Baltimore’s drafting of C.J. Mosley.

“Joe knows what makes good players,” DeCosta said in a Philadelphia Inquirer interview 14 months ago. “He learned from Ozzie and other people here in this organization. He’s got the instincts that a lot of guys have. But he also puts the time in. He’s got the work ethic and the discipline to do extra evaluation, extra work on guys.

“He’s understated, certainly. But he’s a deep thinker. He’s a critical thinker.

“I think he’s strategic in his thinking.”

Maccagnan, remember, was hailed as the personnel guru who would build through the draft. It says plenty that the Eagles hated losing Douglas.

“He’s a scout’s scout,” DeCosta said. “He’s going to go out and look at players. He’s going to talk to people. He’s going to follow players around. He’s going to do his homework. You’re not going to outwork Joe. And he’s a great communicator.”

It will be a positive that there is plenty at stake for both Douglas and Gase. This is Douglas’ first crack at GM, and there are only 32 of these jobs. This is Gase’s second chance on the sidelines, and there probably won’t be a third anytime soon if he doesn’t win.

Gase has claimed he only wants to coach the team, a good idea since his mandate is to take Sam Darnold to the next level while attempting to end the Patriots’ decade-long stranglehold on the division. Gase has also told us he doesn’t hang with yes-men.

“There’s a lot of things that Joe is,” Roseman told the Inquirer, “and being a ‘yes-man’ isn’t one of them.”

Douglas was clearly the best option to pick the right groceries in the future so Gase can cook the dinner. And Douglas is expected to bring former Browns GM Phil Savage to Florham Park.

“I look for that desire to win. That mental toughness,” Douglas once told Richmond Magazine. “The NFL will humble everybody. You have to be able to pick yourself up when the going gets tough. I’m looking for guys that love football, that make great teammates and that hate to lose.”

They all look for guys like that. The challenge now for Broadway Big Joe D. is finding them.

image.gif

Recap for those who don't want to watch

- Works well with multiple personalities

- Is a good communicator, Mac was not

- Played OT during his playing career so he understand our biggest weakness. Assisted in drafting Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda (Pro Bowl OL) for the Ravens. Eagles just made a trade up to get Andre Dillard.

- Knows Gase from their time in Chicago together

- Don't care if he is one of the highest paid GMs, the Johnson's will just have to sell more baby lotion...and based on this forum I'd say Jets fans have been their top customers

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Recap for those who don't want to watch

- Works well with multiple personalities

- Is a good communicator, Mac was not

- Played OT during his playing career so he understand our biggest weakness. Assisted in drafting Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda (Pro Bowl OL) for the Ravens. Eagles just made a trade up to get Andre Dillard.

- Knows Gase from their time in Chicago together

- Don't care if he is one of the highest paid GMs, the Johnson's will just have to sell more baby lotion...and based on this forum I'd say Jets fans have been their top customers

What I believe to be a positive for him is he has seen first hand a tough media and fan base. Not that he had to deal directly with them but he knows firsthand what to expect. Not many others are as tough as Philly and New York.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

This guy nailed it, he must have an inside source.

Well let's see.  He bashed the Jets for not offering up enough money at first, and then buried the lead of the signing by focusing  it on them offering him more money.  So I'd go out on a limb and say his source is on Douglas' side of things (agent maybe?).  I don't think he'll be getting much from the Jets anytime soon.  He had his moment, but the way he went about it may come back to bite him.  There didn't seem to be any reason to go the way he did on this.  Time will tell.